Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy Maher just said that Harry has done a quad.
Am I the only one who missed this? Is it new news or old?

I can't believe it.

Does someone have a team of voodoo dolls?

Last edited:
I would assume we have to play Pitto under the circumstances but wondering if we didn't , would a Young/Lemmey combination would be better than Mirkov as they can each double up key position too. Mirkov doesn't take enough marks imo to be considered ready for a go.

Last edited:

In- Carroll, Binns, Lord, Lemney, Young, C.Durdin, Wilson
Out- Curnow, McKay, Martin, Saad, Fogarty, Boyd

B- Cincotta Weitering Kemp
HB- Newman Young Cowan
C- Acres Cripps O.Hollands
HF- C.Durdin McGovern Kennedy
F- Owies Lemney Motlop
FOLL- Pittonet E.Hollands Walsh
I/C- Hewett, Carroll, Binns, Lord
Sub- Wilson

I would have thought the perennials deserve a farewell game given all the work they have put in over the years.

Who outside of the current side is leaving, and deserves a farewell game?

Owies is in the side but regardless, 70 games is not worthy of a farewell match if he wasn't deserving of a spot.

Marchbank has 63 games in 8 years with us. I think he has got fair reward.

Cuningham is out for the season, but 58 games in 9 years is not gift worthy.

Martin is injured but 54 games for us in 5 years is not noteworthy.

Sam Durdin ... no.

This is a club that didn't allow Brad Fisher or Sam Rowe to get a single farewell game and left them stranded on 99 games.

Last edited:
So at the very least missing from our best 22 will be:

Curnow
Fogarty
Martin
Saad
TDK
Cerra
Cottrell
Doc
SOS

Maybe Mckay and Boyd also.

Smooth Jimmy's lock of the week is West Coast winning.

As someone has said elsewhere, we will have the following unavailable:
TDK
Curnow
Fog
Saad
Martin
Boyd
Cerra
Cottrell
Marchy
Cuningham
Doch
JSOS
Fantasia
Corey Durdin
Carroll
O'Keefe

Just cannot envisage a win at the moment. I know some have said "Nothing is impossible", but have you ever tried slamming shut a revolving door?

Anyway, I have never doubted players' effort this year.
Half of those names are not difference makers currently, so it's not all doom and gloom given the opposition we face over the next two games.

It's 4 weeks between now and any finals match.
Unfortunately our next best inclusions don't match up well with the forced outs.
Fantasia for Fogarty - similar midfield contribution and nous, defensive application

Lemmey for Curnow - difference in quality level, but similar style of play as deep forwards, plus Charlie's mobility has been way down

Wilson for Saad - not as capable an interceptor or locking down an opponent, but offers mobility and the offensive components in spades and has a pretty good tank

C.Durdin for Owies - about the same at the moment, but ideally you're sending Durdin to half-forward instead of being a deeper lead-up option, which further supplements Fogarty's absence and may open up space in the F50 if our runners get serious about running for, shepherding for, and releasing each other into space

Carroll for Boyd - this reflects that we'll make Cincotta the 7th defender and gives us a different look around stoppages, with both remaining players being more versatile

Moir for Martin - honestly about the same on current output, both mercurial

Mirkov for Pittonet - Pittonet's output is actually worse at the moment, though he is more defensively crafty preventing the opposition ruck controlling the tap
If a team can’t field a 23 what are the rules around that ?
I believe we can get medical dispensation to bring in VFL-listed players if required, but we're nowhere near there yet.
It's a bridge too far to have Mirkov rucking without Harry as a backup.
I would assume we have to play Pitto under the circumstances but wondering if we didn't , would a Young/Lemmey combination would be better than Mirkov as they can each double up key position too. Mirkov doesn't take enough marks imo to be considered ready for a go.
Strongly disagree, we're talking about 5 minutes a quarter max, and Lemmey can handle the centre bounce. The mids can play accordingly, and we can shake up the names at the fall of the ball to add some speed to shark/defend the opposition setup.

I don't want to see Young in the team unless we're down Harry and we plan to send Kemp forward. Waiting for an injury report before I pull the trigger on a McKay replacement plan.

So at the very least missing from our best 22 will be:

Curnow
Fogarty
Martin
Saad
TDK
Cerra
Cottrell
Doc
SOS

Maybe Mckay and Boyd also.

Smooth Jimmy's lock of the week is West Coast winning.
It's a problem that we consider Cottrell best 22/23, and I'm hoping we've learnt that this year, because the opposition certainly have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who outside of the current side is leaving, and deserves a farewell game?

Owies is in the side but regardless, 70 games is not worthy of a farewell match if we wasn't deserving of a spot.

Marchbank has 63 games in 8 years with us. I think he has got fair reward.

Cuningham is out for the season, but 58 games in 9 years is not gift worthy.

Martin is injured but 54 games for us in 5 years is not noteworthy.

Sam Durdin ... no.

This is a club that didn't allow Brad Fisher or Sam Rowe to get a single farewell game and left them stranded on 99 games.

You don’t think Martin, Cuningham and Marchbank are deserving of a farewell game.

Interesting viewpoint- I respect your opinion 👍

With Harry out, time to roll the dice and be creative.

Weitering and Kemp to go forward. Weiters is a star and could be a gun forward and Kemp just needs a game to run/jump/mark and get some confidence back.

Then Young and Durdin come into the backline as the key talls and we all pray/fingers crossed type of thing that they can be serviceable.

Cant just bring in Moir/Lemney unless you put in good supports around them.

Anyhow something like that to break it up cause what we are doing aint working.

Reckon theres some pretty simple metrics to tell the story in the last 5 matches:
  • For the season we are sitting in 6th place for tackles (63.6 avg per game)
  • For the season, we are 3rd for tackles inside 50 (11.6)
  • In the last 5 matches we have slipped down to 9th for total tackles (61.0)
  • Whilst total tackles have not fallen too dramatically, our tackles inside 50 have dropped to the WORST IN THE LEAGUE (6.0 per game)

Its simply not good enough, and why weve been so easy to score against. The trademark of this side early in the year was good tackling across a game, and a 4 quarter effort with one supercharged session where we pile on goals. In the last 5 weeks, we instead look like a shell of our former selves - spend all our chips early, and get rolled later on in the game.

You don’t think Martin, Cuningham and Marchbank are deserving of a farewell game.

Interesting viewpoint- I respect your opinion 👍

Nope. Not even close. Only one might be fit to play over the next two weeks anyway.

i'd prefer to get rid of Pittonet and play Corey Durdin in the ruck.

Remember that time when West Coast had half their team missing and still beat us, well this is our chance for revenge, ah, who am I trying to kid.

Harry isn't out yet, might be worth going to look at the footage to see it's probably just quad awareness. He might play.

I'm pretty sure Harry already knew he had a quad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back