Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean by this statement?
That's the round where we shifted back to the 2 ruck strategy, brought Walsh back and played him inside the contest non-stop, and backpedalled from setting up as a more counter-attacking team, which was/is the trend in the league.

For the third time since the absolute woes of 2022, we went back to the same old crap, and got the same old result: get out the gates early, then if we're not at 95-100% fitness, the opposition reel us back in, and this success of this degrades over the course of about 6 weeks because of the effort required due to tactics and personnel.

If there's anything positive, Melbourne made a prelim in 2018, finished second last in 2019, 9th in 2020 then they won the flag in 21...

Apart from that, I got nothing...

This might be another painful one... they've fallen off a cliff and look completely cooked. Amazing how you can go from 11-4 with a "tough" draw to 12-9 with an "easier run home"...

We are going to be carrying some really hurt players into this game... plus we'll likely be bringing in some players who haven't had a run in the AFL all year and their confidence as a whole is shot.

Just about a play the kids situation. Wilson, Binns and Lord to play. What talls? Give Lemmy a taste? Doesn't look ready but maybe there is more value than an 8 disposal game from Young. Really robbing the 2s this week.
I'd rather give a kid a game than Young. But it's most likely it will be Young and Durds as others have said.
Although maybe Young rucking isn't a bad idea.
WE have so much work to do off season.
Bring in speed and confidence.

Jack will be back (for 2025)
And Doc hopefully...
Charlie to get whatever it is fixed.( please!!!l)
And I 'd rather we take him out now to get 'it' done.
How to get mids sorted?
Surely we need to import a sturdy and talented one? Make Lij a big part of it.
Sorry 'DQ' but I could not agree less with what you wrote yesterday.
Lij is an amazing talent for us.

Clean out the perennially injured, sadly,

Get a KPD

ANyway, this week
Can we win?
Who knows.

Last edited:
I'd rather give a kid a game than Young. But it's most likely it will be Young and Durds as others have said.
Although maybe Young rucking isn't a bad idea.
WE have so much work to do off season.
Bring in speed and confidence.

Jack will be back!
And Doc hopefully

Charlie to get whatever it is fixed.( please!!!l)
And I 'd rather we take him out now to get 'it' done.
How to get mids sorted?
Surely we need to import a sturdy and talented one? Make Lij a big part of it.
Sorry 'DQ' but I could not agree less with what you wrote yesterday.
Lij is an amazing talent for us.

Clean out the perennially injured, sadly,

Get a KPD

ANyway, this week
Can we win?
Who knows.

JSOS and Doc are back maybe this week?

Don’t underestimate this team. I’ve got no doubt that there’s one final dagger up their sleeve to rip our hearts out.

I’m guessing it’ll be a narrow win this week followed by coughing up a six goal lead to the Saints, having required only a win to make finals.

As someone has said elsewhere, we will have the following unavailable:
TDK
Curnow
Fog
Saad
Martin
Boyd
Cerra
Cottrell
Marchy
Cuningham
Doch
JSOS
Fantasia
Corey Durdin
Carroll
O'Keefe

Just cannot envisage a win at the moment. I know some have said "Nothing is impossible", but have you ever tried slamming shut a revolving door?

Anyway, I have never doubted players' effort this year.

We still have something to play for, although my spirit is kind of broken after that Hawks game.

I just hope we can lift and beat the Eagles and the Saints and see where we end up after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the round where we shifted back to the 2 ruck strategy, brought Walsh back and played him inside the contest non-stop, and backpedalled from setting up as a more counter-attacking team, which was/is the trend in the league.

For the third time since the absolute woes of 2022, we went back to the same old crap, and got the same old result: get out the gates early, then if we're not at 95-100% fitness, the opposition reel us back in, and this success of this degrades over the course of about 6 weeks because of the effort required due to tactics and personnel.
Thanks

Play the team which gets us a win. Don't blood youngsters for the sake of it.

Finals are still a chance. And once you're in the finals anything can happen, just like last year.

On current form we are horrible. But things can change quickly, and we have some decent finals experience from last year.
Going to be difficult without these unavailable players...

TDK
Curnow
Fog
Saad
Martin
Boyd
Cerra
Cottrell
Marchy
Cuningham
Doch
JSOS
Fantasia
Corey Durdin
Carroll
O'Keefe

Players available this week:
N Newman
Z Williams
M McGovern
P Cripps
B Acres (?)
G Hewett
M Pittonet
A Cincotta
M Owies
M Kennedy
J Weitering
H McKay
L Young
A Mirkov
S Walsh
B Kemp
C Durdin
E Hollands
D Akuei
J Carroll
J Motlop
O Hollands
H Lemmey
R Monahan
J Binns
L Cowan
C Lord
A Moir
B Wilson

We will win this game and it sets the saints up to bury us in the final game in the dying moments aka 2022 v pies . Take it to the bank folks . I’d almost rather lose to the eagles and deny the saints the luxury. But herein lies the issue and that’s the psychological disadvantage we seem to afford ourselves injuries or no injuries …both players and supporters. When the blues slip on a banana peel it’s the biggest viral kookslam you’ll ever see . And we’ve managed to do it again …and unbelievably WORSE than 2022. In my heart I hope we make the 8 just to stop the insane pile on that will ensue.

Would love to know what has happened- that’s a significant swing
A couple of things - none of our small fwds have elite speed. Motlop or Fogarty maybe the quickest? Nothing compared with Betts & Garlett though.

The bigger issue is that Charlie cannot chase at all since his injury. One weak link in the chain and your team defence gets picked apart with ease. Oppo teams know that if they can bring the ball to ground they'll be able to launch a counterattack more times than not.

Have to say, that was one of the very darkest days for us bluebaggers that I can remember.

Wanted to go, but had other commitments. Yes, I dodged a bullet.

Both sons were there, left midway through the third. Understandably.

So what happens now? I say play the kids, put all our sore player's in mothballs and get them cherry ripe for 25.

Think we lose to eagles and aints. Positive outcome could be that we know where we sit. No sugar-coating it.

Jack Russell is gone, good. Do we need better, smarter assistants to help Voss? I would say yes, without a doubt.

Need to make nine or ten changes to this playing group, hope it happens.

Look forward to seeing all of Lord, Wilson, Moir, Binns and perhaps even Lemmey and Akuei over the next two weeks.

From my totally uneducated position.. IMO we have played foot to the floor since the Suns game mid-last year. Players are banged up and burnt out, maybe not making finals or going out first week wont be the worst thing in the world. Re-gather, make some list decisions, and tweek the game play a touch.

Don’t underestimate this team. I’ve got no doubt that there’s one final dagger up their sleeve to rip our hearts out.

I’m guessing it’ll be a narrow win this week followed by coughing up a six goal lead to the Saints, having required only a win to make finals.
Too true unfortunately.

If there's one thing that the modern version of this club has perfected, it's giving false hope to their supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back