Autopsy 2023 Rd 24 Giants end Blues winning streak

Who played well for the Blues in Round 24 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta stock around to the final siren … beside their song is quite good ..

Giants Netball Band GIF by GIANTS

It is good but so is Richmond's and I sure as **** don't want to hear it after we've played them.

Think H will be fine for finals. Important to get another run into him like the three that came in

Think Voss was playing match simulation. We went away from a lot of the things that are working for us in favor of trying different things to potentially add layers. "What if the middle is taken away from you? Then what?" type stuff as we rarely used the corridor tonight

Definitely some looking at answering "if we only have one ruck how do we cope?" and discovered that H can do some forward rucking but is lost when asked to do it around the ground. That means either both rucks have to play or TDK rucks and plays back behind the ball more often than he can drift forward.

Also think we played as safe as possible after those two first quarter scares. I think it was much more this than.

As much as I want DC to impose himself into games more he's never going to be qn accumulator nor was the manner in which we were playing really suitable for his skill set. Thought he did some nice things when he had it.

Acres injury might keep the door open for Dow to retain his spot. I could easily see Hollands getting one wing and a combo including Walsh taking the other.

We really missed the infield stewardship and leadership Doc and Cripps provide in addition to their regular own performance levels. Both make everyone around them better. Doc for Fish seems likely for mine and likely Cripps for Acres if he doesn't get up. If he does then Dow might revert to sub.

Still not sold on Marchy being the out instead of Cincotta. I love both but I find Marchy to be the steadier influence of the two as well as being cover in case one of our big 3 goes down.
Agree with all that.
Great post Wick.
And possibly Kennedy at least as sub option.

Atmosphere was great during the first Q. Well done Charlie.

But it was clear there was a degree of self preservation and coaching experimentation after the first Q and definitely after 3Q time.

As a spectator who paid good money and traveled from interstate to watch the game, I was annoyed. A win is always nice. But as a Blue Reaper wanting to see us go deep into finals, I get it. Not concerned at all with the loss.

Weits will be fine - demonstrably accidental and low impact.

Toby’s words afterwards? Who cares; he’s having a laugh and doesn’t actually influence the outcome.

Bring on Sydney. Expecting to make the trek back down again.

Key takeaway? We’re in the finals and have the genuine potential to cause some real damage.

Not sure about the CBA numbers but we we definitely took the foot off in the 2nd half.

I thought there were a number of times we had Dow, Fog and cunners as the midfield at cb.

I don’t think Cerra nor Walsh had too many together with George.

Kemp up forward in the last was a good experiment.

Harry did well rucking in the forward 50, but not keen on the centre bounce to continue.

Thought TDK was solid.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just arrived home. Nothing to get too concerned about overall but just a few decisions we've got to make for the next fortnight

Clearly Harry is not a second ruck. Looked a quick way to turn a weapon into a draft horse. Think that we've probably have to play pitto against the swans even if we lose a bit of run. Hope that we can get s bit of control and maybe sub him off late in the third.

Bit worried about cinc. Love his story but that's two weeks in a row where he has been down. Gets burnt a bit because of his turning circle.

We lost some drive when Acres got injured. Doc could cover but would prefer him to play his jack of all trades role. Need blake to get up.

Their centre clearances looked to be more decisive than ours. Stands to reason with two of our best out and the other two guns needing the run. If Acres gets up might not be a starting role for Paddy Dow.

Backline again a bit out of sync. All at sea when Weitering went off early a probably didn't defend that well as a whole. Hopefully the reminder that they need that lapses of concentration costs goals. Fish a couple of bad blues, I'm sure that the coaching panel are faced with a decision that they didn't want to have to make.

Anyway, a nice little break now. Swans are o.k. but not great. They love to run in front of the ball so pressure will be the key. Our best takes care of them comfortably. Just need to find it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was unable to watch live so just watched the replay, some of my thoughts...
  • Honestly not mad at the giants making finals; the bulldogs didn't deserve it so too bad for them.
  • Enjoyed TDK's game as the solo ruck, if pittonet plays we definitely don't get that output from Tom.
  • The giants' transition game and their speed killed us all night. As soon as they matched us in stoppages in the 2nd half we were no match for them.
  • Pittonet playing would not have been a good thing and I hope we don't bring him back. His lack of speed and around the ground work would've been exposed even more and put us in more strife. Not to add that TDK's game would take a big hit too.
  • Marchbank played just under a half and was probably our best defender. How people were/are calling for his head is ridiculous. Man is clearly best 22.
  • Love Kemp but McGovern should've played forward. Why Voss has an outright refusal to not play our best forward minus curnow/mckay up forward is beyond me.
  • Kingsley is just an extraordinary coach and his tactical nous is out of this world. Coach of the year by a country mile.

Rest up and let's take down the Swans!

What about Fish out instead?

That's why I have

In: Cripps, Docherty, Marchbank
Out: Acres (if injured,), Fisher, Cincotta

Could change.

Last edited:
Love all the fans copping it on social media for that mass exodus in the 4th

Teams made the finals, won 9 in a row and people were walking out

Shameful stuff
It was a late-ish finish on a school night (an uncharacteristic time slot) and effectively a dead rubber for us....don't blame those with kids who preferred to beat the rush

It was a late-ish finish on a school night (an uncharacteristic time slot) and effectively a dead rubber for us....don't blame those who kids who preferred to beat the rush

Agree with this. Thought last year's timeslot was much better for a last game of the season (true twilight timeslot so dinner time in second half for many ). . Last night was done to try and pop TV viewership. It wasn't done with the live crowd on mind.

Once the game was settled I'd have taken my little one home if I were there regardless of the result. Yes, more people probably left because we were losing but guarantee many were parents

We were pretty good for the first 2 and a half quarters, had a crack and was in the game until they ran over the top of us..
At the ground their run & ball movement was of the highest quality, when then do get out of CB’s stoppages or general play and linkup, chain & overlap by hand or foot they can slice you apart, tonight we allowed them far too much lattitude at times, then allowing spare players on the outskirts of the contests they spread and created running chains which we couldn’t stop or counter, our accountability structures and positioning were simply ordinary at times, we were opened up far too easily tonight…

We lost that on half forward, they pressured the ball carrier, flooded the defence and bet we'd make the mistake and the obvious ball.

When we did they'd break and we'd overcommit try to lock it in our half, if we failed they'd have 1 or 2 free ahead of the ball and easy scores.

We weren't at our best but the giants executed the plan well and we fell for it, time and again.
👍

Saw an AFL captain drop an oppo player in it this morn, Toby “studs” Green, you are a wan*er!
Charlie got the Coleman medal.
The bots finger, saads ankle, then watching Dow jog to each defensive opportunity sent me to an early fart sack.
If Dow was jogging I wonder how slow everyone else was going

Got no problem with the rest of his game H, just very frustrating, B- could be an A.
To be fair he spent a lot of time running up and down the ground having the ball kicked over his head.
Our structure was weird, a lot of bombing down the line and not taking an attacking kick into the middle, even the short back towards the edge of the corridor wasn’t honored.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 24 Giants end Blues winning streak

Back