Autopsy 2023 Rd 7 Charlie's Blues beat Eagles by a tonne

Who played well vs the Eagles in Round 7

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I do think he’s got footy smarts.

One play from last night showed it. Running towards goal from the pocket he has time to consider taking a shot, size up his other options and execute a lovely touch kick to SOS for a goal.

Another HFF wouldn’t go astray…

As I said - vision with ball in hand is fine, he makes decent decisons when he has the ball. But he spends a lot of time chasing tail, and doesn't seem to get into dangerous or advantageous positions on a consistent basis.

Comparing him to guys like Greene and De Goey is.....generous. To say the absolute least.

I really hope they persist with Honey.

He’s a one touch confidence player.

Building without a doubt.

I can see a dynamic small power forward in him - we don’t have one yet.

Circa - Degoey, Green, Heeney etc…

We could use one …

Yeah I like the fact that he has some different skills to mots, durds and owies but I’d say his selection is on a knifes edge With mots off suspension and owies due back.

Guess we’ll know soon enough if Voss is prepared to give him an extended run at it.

Most of them won’t be on this week.

I think the crew who can sensibly critique are far less reactive than those who sit on the other side of the ledger tbh… so, beating up on a team who are just about as bad as Fitzroy is of little interest - not saying it’s meaningless, but certainly not saying it’s meaningful. It’s impossible to know.

The result was never in doubt so the best outcome was for the players to release the shackles and have it mark a turning point. We’ll see over the coming month or so if it’s done the trick.

Missed the game which was disappointing but it was so good to see us put a team away and hopefully build some confidence. I only watched a bit of the replay but was impressed by what Cincotta is producing, he looks solid.

I was very nervous about Saad and Doch returning early so it’s good that they both seem to have performed well. A very difficult month coming up, if we are good enough we will win our fair share and hopefully give us a good platform to build on.

Adam Saad was AA last year and well deserved.

He’s better this year. The coaches have slightly tweaked his game and I’m not sure it’s been observed. He’s playing more aggressively.

Despite coming off early in two games and clearly playing within himself pace wise he is havign career highs:
  • possessions
  • defensive half pressure acts
  • kick effociency
  • disposal efficiency
  • intercept possesions

As the season goes on and his body stabilises I think they have him set for the role of “give him the ball at all costs.” He can’t be caught. Makes awesome decisions. Uses it brilliantly. His endurance isn’t quite there but he should be getting all the plaudits on the world for his form and ability.

Well done to the coaches for the tweak. Well done.

Can he please stop calling for the ball on his wrong side…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Here's something that I don't think has been mentioned yet.

Charlie kicks his ninth goal. Still about 10 minutes on the clock.

Now, we could have easily, and justifiably, sat the ball on his head for every subsequent entry, trying to get him his tenth. It would have been expected, and easy to defend. Probably would have resulted in some turnovers that may or may not have let WC claw back a bit of the margin.

We did look for him a few times, when it was the right play. But we didn't get tunnel vision. We assessed the options and, in that last 10 minutes of play, found SIX other goal scorers.

That to me should be on the whiteboard in this week's team meetings. That is a professional team performance.

And Charlie could hav gone for goal for number 10 when he wheeled around, but centred it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Samo copped a week for his high tackle on cincotta

Don't recall anything in the game that jumped out as suspension-worthy.

Was an interesting game from SPS. Hardly touched the pill, but his speed and pressure seemed much improved from his time with us.

If he's got some speed and intensity back in his game, I think they're missing a trick by not playing him on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's Boyd replace? With Cinc and Kemp now in the side, I think we have pretty good balance. Unless Doch move further up the ground permanently.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Boyd seems to be one of those players that gets better the longer he doesn't play. Last year he was poor in his first 3-4 games then played a couple of good ones prior to being injured.

Dont get me wrong. I think he has some great attributes but he needs a good body of work to break into the team.

Not sure.

Btw how far off that group is Cerra?

A bit still imo. To be honest, i've been a bit in the camp of "yeah, we know you've been Pavlich's lovechild your whole career Adam, but yeah, there's a lot of promise there, and yeah i know you're a good standard 3rd mid, but is there anything more there?".

I think he's been good for us, but not a lot more.

But i have been impressed the last month with him while most of the other mids have been struggling a bit. I think he's shown toughness and drive, and also cleaned up his disposal. For a patch there, he was kicking no cleaner than Ed.

So yeah, good player, but not the intangibles or ability of Cripps, Walsh, Saad or Doc yet for mine.

A bit still imo. To be honest, i've been a bit in the camp of "yeah, we know you've been Pavlich's lovechild your whole career Adam, but yeah, there's a lot of promise there, and yeah i know you're a good standard 3rd mid, but is there anything more there?".

I think he's been good for us, but not a lot more.

But i have been impressed the last month with him while most of the other mids have been struggling a bit. I think he's shown toughness and drive, and also cleaned up his disposal. For a patch there, he was kicking no cleaner than Ed.

So yeah, good player, but not the intangibles or ability of Saad or Doc yet for mine.
Fair enough. He was super clutch in the tough games at the end of last year which convinced me. I think they’ve found a really nice role for him now.

Fair enough. He was super clutch in the tough games at the end of last year which convinced me. I think they’ve found a really nice role for him now.

Yeah, i really liked one of those last 2 games last year. Pretty sure it was the Melbourne one. He's not afraid of big games, which is an important trait. They are usually some of his better games.

But i think he has always loafed along a bit in his career at times. In a solid 2nd gear but waiting to see a consistent patch of 3rd gear from him. He is in his prime years now, so hope we're seeing the start of that.

Yeah, i really liked one of those last 2 games last year. Pretty sure it was the Melbourne one. He's not afraid of big games, which is an important trait. They are usually some of his better games.

But i think he has always loafed along a bit in his career at times. In a solid 2nd gear but waiting to see a consistent patch of 3rd gear from him. He is in his prime years now, so hope we're seeing the start of that.
I think they’ve worked out he’s not a great endurance runner, and yet he tries really hard in two way running, which means he runs himself out.

So instead they’re playing him more in bursts on ball instead of huge amounts on ball and it’s havign a much better effect.

That 1911 win must have been HUGE in the context of the times. 10 goals was a very big score back then.

Huge indeed.

Against the Saints, who had a few players missing from a strike.

First ever 10 goal haul from a Carlton player. Vin Gardiner.

Not just 10 goals, but also 12 points!!

Rained in the third quarter and the only reason Saints kicked their second goal was a Carlton defender sheltering from the rain under a supporters umbrella!

His ‘down’ game of the year statistically was against North, but in that game he oddly only played about half the second half.

I think they’ve worked out he’s not a great endurance runner, and yet he tries really hard in two way running, which means he runs himself out.

So instead they’re playing him more in bursts on ball instead of huge amounts on ball and it’s havign a much better effect.

Yeah i'd agree with that. Similar to Cripps(he has super elite qualities to make up for his downside), Kennedy, Dow and even Hewett a bit. That's why the combo has flies on it a bit when we don't dominate contest and field position. But that's another subject.

On your obs of Cerra's game there, i think that shows why perhaps he's a bit off "elite" yet. He has to be "helped" a bit still. Elite players don't need help, they do the helping.

I'm happy with Cerra, but yeah, he's just Cerra. Every side has got a couple of them.

My issue is that he calls for the ball in the most stupid of positions. I lost track of how many times he did it last night. He does it every week, calls for it when he's not in a safe position and thankfully last night he was ignored a few times.

He just reminds of when I used to do schoolyard playground duty and the grade 6 kids would be playing footy and there'd be a grade 3 kid in there trying to show them how good he is.
Or when he calls for it on his right and he doesn't have one

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 7 Charlie's Blues beat Eagles by a tonne

Back