Preview 2023 Rd 9 Carlton vs Western Bulldogs Saturday May 13 7:30PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Cottrell, Matthew Kennedy, Matthew Owies
OUT: Ed Curnow (Omitted), Josh Honey (Omitted), Brodie Kemp (Omitted)

Backs:Lewis YoungJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Matt KennedyMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Sam WalshHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowJordan BoydLachie Fogarty
Brodie Kemp

8/3 would be a great split 👍

I feel all us Club Members & Supporters should be consulted on this, maybe in the form of an online voting system so the people can voice their preference along with the details/reasons attached to it…

Gives the club the opportunity in having a clearer understanding on what would be the best outcome to benefit everyone all round…

And because i hate Marvel with a passion…
Would be great, but it ain't going to happen unfortunately.

I would like to see Cerra, Walsh and Kennedy start in the middle.

Cripps and Hewett seem out of form. Not sure what you do with Cripps if not playing midfield could he play CHB? He's a big boy.

Cripps is #1 in the competition for contested possessions, #8 for tackles, #12 for total disposals (a list skewed by kick ins for half back flankers...), #11 for score involvements, #11 for overall player rating.

As a midfielder, he is going pretty damn well.

He has had two poor-ish games in the last 3 weeks, at least by his standards. This year his stoppage clearances are high but center clearances a bit down... less obvious centre breaks. He is also not hitting the scoreboard as much but did kick a goal last week so hopefully that is it.

What i woukd like to see is Cripps pushing forward again, finding space when the talls lead out. At his absolute best he kicks multiple goals in a match but we havent really seen that this year

This is harsh, JSOS is heart and soul. The gap between his best and worst is certainly not as great as for many of his team mates. There are few of us who do not have significant respect for Jack.

I went to the game on Friday and the poor ball use was the biggest reason we lost. We had a method to win the ball at stoppages and move it, but our decision making and disposal by hand and foot was so bad that it made our ball
Movement look horrible and the resultant turnovers were impossible to defend. The best defenders and structures in the world wouldn’t be able to stop some of goals we gifted Brisbane through poor disposal and decision making. These factors are the biggest thing holding the players back from realising their potential.

Whilst he was no orphan on Friday, Jack was one of the worst offenders against Brisbane. He has also been bad in that respect in pretty much every game this year bar the GWS game (and against the Eagles WAFL team). Jack is becoming one of the worst repeat offenders in this area but unlike the likes of Weiters and Walsh it is more of an issue for him as he doesn’t have a track record of bringing as much to the team as those 2 do for example. If he’s dropping marks playing the leading half forward role, turning the ball over at a high rate when he does get it and not kicking goals then is being “Heart and Soul” really enough to justify keeping his spot?

As unpopular as it is I think at the end of the year we may need to move Jack on and target someone with better skills in that role. That all said I doubt he’ll get dropped any time soon as there is no real alternative to him in his spot and I expect him to play against the Dogs. I actually wouldn’t mind seeing Kemp at half forward however I doubt that’s an option this year given he has trained as a defender (because we need to keep him back as cover for the oft injured Gov and Marchy). For the rest of the year Jack must dramatically improve his disposal efficiency and decision making but after 8 years of watching him not markedly improving these skills I’m certainly not holding my breath.

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious...

In: Hunger, desire, skills; teamwork, dash, Plans B, C D, hitting a bloody target. Do I need to say toughness?
Out: lethargy, confusion, laziness, satisfaction, Plan A, clangers. Do I need to say softness?

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious...

In: Hunger, desire, skills; teamwork, dash, Plans B, C D, hitting a bloody target. Do I need to say toughness?
Out: lethargy, confusion, laziness, satisfaction, Plan A, clangers. Do I need to say softness?
What’s plan A to you?

Game plan wise I would be all about identifying the opposition's zone and working on beating that. We must be about the ball beating that into our forward line.

When we are in defence. Usually teams stack one side of the ground with players and encourage you to go that way. Here's my theory, you stack the opposite or open side with the better quicker players, Walsh, Hollands, McGovern etc and you just go long and fast to that side. You never see us do that, we always go the crowded side. Teams don't do it because if you turn it over into all that space forward of the half back line you get burnt. IMO this is something I would try.

We definitely have to get better at identifying where the opposition are zoning heavily. Before the kickout rule and stand rule were implemented, teams would press their zone up closer to the ball, it's now further back. That is all it has done, and like I said when these changes came in, it will see the return of flooding and it has, teams stack the oppositions forward line more now.

But to beat this flooding, some teams have realised that it's a race. It's ball V zone. If the ball beats the zone back into the forward line you score, if not, you probably turn it over.

We appear clueless to this. Again Voss and his team are not great technicians, his game style is oblivious to this, it's out dated, it's a pre-kick in and pre-stand rule game plan.

Again, the better ball movement sides play the game with the awareness that good ball movement is a race between the ball and the opposition's defensive cluster.

Next time you are watching footy and you see a team exiting their defence, you will see the defensive cluster, usually just on the defensive side of centre wing. The attacking team's aim is to get the ball ahead of that cluster going forward. It's not easy. This is why a lot of teams go up the middle and go really quickly and kick long etc.

You switch and hold, teams tend to just drop back into defence and the race is lost. You hold the ball up in the midfield or at half back, teams tend to concede and drop the defence back and the race is lost. You have to go as hard and as fast as you can to get the ball ahead or level with the zone and this needs to be in the mids of our players all the time.

Yes it means playing with more risk but there is no other option.

Basically if your team is attacking you go forward as quick and long and direct as you can to try and get the footy ahead or level with the zone. If you are defending you go forward as quick and as fast as you can and you go straight at the zone and keep some width in the ball movement, that way the next kick goes into the space and there is no zone to contend with.

Our ball movement is beaten by the zone every time, the ball hardly ever beats the zone back because it's too slow and risk free.

This is how you fix our game plan and get our season back on track.

1. Identify opposition's zone and work on getting the ball level or ahead of the zone.
2. Defensive plays mean still trying to achieve this but choosing to go into the zone and congestion.
3. Offensive play means choosing the part of the ground which has the space.
4. Slowing the ball down is only done when you concede that the defence has beaten the ball into the forward line. Hold it up, waste time, go in long. (we do this well but too often).
4. We go forward fast and quickly from a turnover or switch of play as a switch of play triggers the opposition defence to fall back into our forward line.
5. We only hold the ball up in the back half of the ground to preserve a strong lead late in the quarter.
6. Playing this way means opposition will need to run harder to defend. Gassing the opposition is important, slow ball movement means slow running, fast ball movement means fast running. Put pressure on opposition to defend and get back quick. We aren't doing this.

When we get used to playing this way we will then have to learn positioning such as where the long kicks are going and having our mids front and centre because we will be looking to kick long to contests a fair bit.

We don't actually know whether our forwards can actually play or not as the ball does not come in very well. The fact that two Colman medallists struggle to score in our side says a great deal about that.
I don’t think teams are playing a zone against us always, I see man to man

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game plan wise I would be all about identifying the opposition's zone and working on beating that. We must be about the ball beating that into our forward line.

When we are in defence. Usually teams stack one side of the ground with players and encourage you to go that way. Here's my theory, you stack the opposite or open side with the better quicker players, Walsh, Hollands, McGovern etc and you just go long and fast to that side. You never see us do that, we always go the crowded side. Teams don't do it because if you turn it over into all that space forward of the half back line you get burnt. IMO this is something I would try.

We definitely have to get better at identifying where the opposition are zoning heavily. Before the kickout rule and stand rule were implemented, teams would press their zone up closer to the ball, it's now further back. That is all it has done, and like I said when these changes came in, it will see the return of flooding and it has, teams stack the oppositions forward line more now.

But to beat this flooding, some teams have realised that it's a race. It's ball V zone. If the ball beats the zone back into the forward line you score, if not, you probably turn it over.

We appear clueless to this. Again Voss and his team are not great technicians, his game style is oblivious to this, it's out dated, it's a pre-kick in and pre-stand rule game plan.

Again, the better ball movement sides play the game with the awareness that good ball movement is a race between the ball and the opposition's defensive cluster.

Next time you are watching footy and you see a team exiting their defence, you will see the defensive cluster, usually just on the defensive side of centre wing. The attacking team's aim is to get the ball ahead of that cluster going forward. It's not easy. This is why a lot of teams go up the middle and go really quickly and kick long etc.

You switch and hold, teams tend to just drop back into defence and the race is lost. You hold the ball up in the midfield or at half back, teams tend to concede and drop the defence back and the race is lost. You have to go as hard and as fast as you can to get the ball ahead or level with the zone and this needs to be in the mids of our players all the time.

Yes it means playing with more risk but there is no other option.

Basically if your team is attacking you go forward as quick and long and direct as you can to try and get the footy ahead or level with the zone. If you are defending you go forward as quick and as fast as you can and you go straight at the zone and keep some width in the ball movement, that way the next kick goes into the space and there is no zone to contend with.

Our ball movement is beaten by the zone every time, the ball hardly ever beats the zone back because it's too slow and risk free.

This is how you fix our game plan and get our season back on track.

1. Identify opposition's zone and work on getting the ball level or ahead of the zone.
2. Defensive plays mean still trying to achieve this but choosing to go into the zone and congestion.
3. Offensive play means choosing the part of the ground which has the space.
4. Slowing the ball down is only done when you concede that the defence has beaten the ball into the forward line. Hold it up, waste time, go in long. (we do this well but too often).
4. We go forward fast and quickly from a turnover or switch of play as a switch of play triggers the opposition defence to fall back into our forward line.
5. We only hold the ball up in the back half of the ground to preserve a strong lead late in the quarter.
6. Playing this way means opposition will need to run harder to defend. Gassing the opposition is important, slow ball movement means slow running, fast ball movement means fast running. Put pressure on opposition to defend and get back quick. We aren't doing this.

When we get used to playing this way we will then have to learn positioning such as where the long kicks are going and having our mids front and centre because we will be looking to kick long to contests a fair bit.

We don't actually know whether our forwards can actually play or not as the ball does not come in very well. The fact that two Colman medallists struggle to score in our side says a great deal about that.
I don't disagree with any of this, it actually reminds me of the WCE game, but that is also the problem. We played fast, decisive footy against virtual withches hats, but folded, and went back into our shells against Brisvegas. Targets that were hit one week were panick missed the next.

I went to the game on Friday and the poor ball use was the biggest reason we lost. We had a method to win the ball at stoppages and move it, but our decision making and disposal by hand and foot was so bad that it made our ball
Movement look horrible and the resultant turnovers were impossible to defend. The best defenders and structures in the world wouldn’t be able to stop some of goals we gifted Brisbane through poor disposal and decision making. These factors are the biggest thing holding the players back from realising their potential.

Whilst he was no orphan on Friday, Jack was one of the worst offenders against Brisbane. He has also been bad in that respect in pretty much every game this year bar the GWS game (and against the Eagles WAFL team). Jack is becoming one of the worst repeat offenders in this area but unlike the likes of Weiters and Walsh it is more of an issue for him as he doesn’t have a track record of bringing as much to the team as those 2 do for example. If he’s dropping marks playing the leading half forward role, turning the ball over at a high rate when he does get it and not kicking goals then is being “Heart and Soul” really enough to justify keeping his spot?

As unpopular as it is I think at the end of the year we may need to move Jack on and target someone with better skills in that role. That all said I doubt he’ll get dropped any time soon as there is no real alternative to him in his spot and I expect him to play against the Dogs. I actually wouldn’t mind seeing Kemp at half forward however I doubt that’s an option this year given he has trained as a defender (because we need to keep him back as cover for the oft injured Gov and Marchy). For the rest of the year Jack must dramatically improve his disposal efficiency and decision making but after 8 years of watching him not markedly improving these skills I’m certainly not holding my breath.
I'm surprised you think Jack was one of the worst?
Had 4 turnovers for the game, but 2 of those 4 were free kicks against.
He also had 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements. Reckon he was a long way from our biggest issues on Friday night.

He also had 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements. Reckon he was a long way from our biggest issues on Friday night.
No doubt, McKay, Curnow, JSOS, Durdin and Motlop do well with the ball...

However, currently they aren't doing enough without the ball...

Maybe I noticed more coz they resulted in goal but he had some bad kicks, poor choices not to take the first option and even dropped a couple lead up marks.

He wasn’t alone (Weiters and Walsh were poor with their disposal) but if he plays the link man role Jack can’t afford to make those sorts of mistakes as often as he did.

Apparently, its contested ball, win it in close, misplace the kick/handball to a team-mate, go backwards/sideways and slow. Wait for the oppo to flood back then kick it long and high to outnumbered fowards who are held and scragged.
I don’t think there is a plan A. I think we play the game on its merits. Oppo usually tries to block the corridor against us because they all know if they leave it open we will go through there. When they block the corridor then we either go down the line or attempt to switch to find gaps. We just don’t do it quick enough and our skills aren’t good enough.

Might have two spare tickets if my mum doesn't take them.

They're legends lounge seats.

Prefer to give to someone with a kid and someone who struggles with being able to afford to go?

Caveat is I need to figure out how to transfer the tickets for the week.

I'll probably give them away most weeks
You can do it digitally rp84.
They have instructions for how to do it when they send the tickets for each game.
Cheers.

Jon Anderson on 3AW just said Cripps wouldn’t keep up with Bont, we have a great runner in the seconds who could. Paddy Dow 😮

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back