Preview 2023 Rd 9 Carlton vs Western Bulldogs Saturday May 13 7:30PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Cottrell, Matthew Kennedy, Matthew Owies
OUT: Ed Curnow (Omitted), Josh Honey (Omitted), Brodie Kemp (Omitted)

Backs:Lewis YoungJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Matt KennedyMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Sam WalshHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowJordan BoydLachie Fogarty
Brodie Kemp

I don't disagree, I wouldn't have resigned him for this year, we should have moved past him.

But as he is on the list, get guaranteed 4 qtrs into the others at lower level rather than sit them on the bench as a sub.

Good sign is we did drop him from the 22 for this week which is encouraging

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Look your right getting full games into the underdone/returning players or youngsters til they are right to go is the best way to go, Boyd is ideally maybe a game or two short to having that right block amount of games under his belt…
But by naming him as an emergency & possible sub they must believe that he is ready to go, if that’s the case then I’d prefer Boyd…

i mean
Disposals: Walsh
Scoring involvements: Walsh
Goals: Walsh (smith hasn’t kicked one)
Tackles: Walsh
Same efficiency of disposal
Clearances: Walsh

I’ll give you Smith with having more turnovers though.

Walsh hasn’t even had a pre season and he wipes smith with any metric you wanna use
Oh come on
smith…better looking
smith …. Longer hair
smith…more likes on instagram
smith …nicer moustache

smith by a country mile!

Agreed, I supposed I didn't express it properly but I was surprised to see those numbers, basically for the reasons you gave. Feels like he misses several chances to get touches and impact per game, so seeing career highs was surprising.
I think he’s had a pretty good year, besides a few poor moments i had him in the votes last week thought he worked his arse off and was one our better players for the night…

If the club decides to use an elder lockdown player in Ed as the sub, then you have to question the logic behind the people making the decision, certainly not the impact type player the team requires…

I guess you also have to consider potentially losing a endurance type early in the game, Ed would then be the better replacement

Although Boyd could also slot into the backline, pushing Doc between the arcs as that endurance type

Personally, I would be happy with either

For me I'd like my sub to be someone who can spark the team, not just someone who'll fit a role.

Ed for me is a very uninspiring sub. Not an impact player and not someone who'll come in if the team needs a change. He's the type who'll come on the field and keep things more or less the same in terms of team flow.

For me I'd like my sub to be someone who can spark the team, not just someone who'll fit a role.

Ed for me is a very uninspiring sub. Not an impact player and not someone who'll come in if the team needs a change. He's the type who'll come on the field and keep things more or less the same in terms of team flow.

I would of liked to see Carroll get a go; not sure how he is tracking though.

Dont agree with Kemp out, gives us more structure down back with Young and Weiters form slump. I would even play him forward or on the wing and put Silvagni down back. But with current selection a few more midfield rotations is the positive here. I would have also played Ed this week and hard tag Bont.

I guess you also have to consider potentially losing a endurance type early in the game, Ed would then be the better replacement

Although Boyd could also slot into the backline, pushing Doc between the arcs as that endurance type

Personally, I would be happy with either
Boyd into the backline and Doc into the midfield was the direction i was thinking, personally I’d be playing Doc mainly midfield on shared rotation minutes our midfield looks much better balanced with him in there…
Boyd gives the side a couple of things we desperately need speed run and foot skills, he can also mind the opposition tricky smalls he’s another exact type we don’t have much of…

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like the inclusions, Owies has been a very consistent goal kicker of late and even though he has a lower ceiling than our other small forwards. I have more faith in him to deliver a two goal, fifteen disposal, four tackle performance than the others, who have been a little underwhelming.
Cotters brings so much, his hard running, his hardness, his accurate set shots. Excited to see him back.
Hopefully naming Bam Bam as a defender is just a smokescreen. He needs to be in our mid rotations. Doc should be going back this week.
Kemp as sub, would be okay. Boyd as sub could be better, but maybe he needs one more full game in the two's.
Blues by a bees dick.

Sub talk
What do we want out of a sub? Run and impact.

Ed: Has run but his greatest strength is endurance, not burst. NO for me. Go back and be a shield/mentor for Binns and Carroll.

Boyd: Has burst speed, ideal sub IMO.

Fogarty: Can be quickish and can see him putting on pressure in the forward half. I question his ability to 'impact' due to his limited kicking distance. Possible IMO.

Kemp: Could be worth trying as a burst player anywhere: back/mid/fwd. As others have mentioned, he's not the most consistent kick...but he has some elite athletic traits that fit the profile of that explosive mid-size forward we are looking for. At the very least, he's gotta be an upgrade on what Honey was doing? Possible for

Interesting thinking with subs. Do you pick someone who can plug holes if someone goes down or having a bad day OR (and what I’d hope) someone who’s champing at the bit who wants to tear it up.

So I hope Ed isn’t the sub. Much prefer Boyd or even Fogarty and them being told to make a ****ing difference rather than go another week with us not scoring for a ****ing HOUR!!

Reckon we need to mix things up just a little this week.

Someone mentioned JSOS onto the Bont to nullify his influence, which sounds like a good option given he did a similar job on Fyfe a few years back. Kennedy and Crippa rotate in the forward half to give us another marking option when required. Young pinch hits in the ruck like he's been doing recently to release JSOS from any ruck duties.

Kemp as the sub in case it all goes pair shaped. Can play forward or back.

"IF we don't make it, it's not the end of the world...." - Brian Cook.

I think Vossy knows what is at stake and we could be in for a surprise win.

I like that Voss put finals back as the target for the year but why is there mixed messaging from the club about our ambitions this year?

CEO and coach should be reading from the same script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back