VFL 2023 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it’s magoos but that’s the most assured I’ve seen Plow in two years.
It was a very young * team with few decent prospects playing so a 150 gamer should find it pretty easy going.

Bryan was too good for our young rucks after he realised they were out jumping him and he started to body them at centre bounces. Really all that was keeping them in it
Tsatas looked classy.
Their tall forwards looked ok off the back of how small our defence was
The unicorn Nik Cox was unimpressive
Otherwise not much on show

For us
DC was pure class. Looked like Juddy but a better kick. Must come into the 1s
Cowan reassured me that he was worth the pick we gave up to get him(which is lower than we thought it would be). Was worried he stood out because he was a big kid in juniors. Hadn't shown any dash in the last few weeks but it was on show. The pass into the middle, handball receive and booming kick over the back to Crocker was outstanding.
Ramshaw is exactly what we need in the 1s. Electric pace straight through the middle of the ground with a nuggety frame that breaks tackles. If we make lots of changes he is definitely worth a pick in the 70s which is what we will be using. Could be our Jai Newcomb
Expected Fish to be better at this level
Liked LOBs game competed hard and used it well. While he was no good last week. Revolving door selections aren't helping our team.
Honey moved well and could have kicked 4. Finally showing some form to warrant selection, as opposed to getting a call up after no preseason and 6 possessions. Would like to see him replace Motlop.
Fog looked like a VFL player. At one point had a mark/free on the wing and Carlton players were yelling at our talls "he can't kick that far" as they were setting up 50m down field. Just has no weapons.

All very well looking good against a team that has won two games for the year. Reality check will be next game against Werribee.
Not going to criticise the magoos for looking good against anyone. Might be false dawn but it was undeniable that they played as well as they have all year, particularly the Carlton listed players.

It was a very young * team with few decent prospects playing so a 150 gamer should find it pretty easy going.
You say that but Plow was pretty bad no matter the competition all year.
He played well and most pleasing was him organising the backline. Even his kicking was pretty good.
So I’m not going to saddle him with “yeah but”.

Match report:-

CARLTON RESERVES 3.4 6.6 10.10 14.15 (99)
ESSENDON 2.2 6.4 8.6 10.8 (68)

GOALS
Carlton:
McMahon 4, Crocker 2, Cuningham 2, Gill 2, Honey, Lemmey, Ramshaw, Ronke

BESTS
Carlton:
Ramshaw, Fogarty, Cuningham, Fisher, McMahon, Cowan

I don’t profess to being an expert and I appreciate it’s a different level but………Isn’t that how we would love to see the seniors playing? Moving the ball forward, direct kicking to a team mate. I know it’s just a replay but they looked a lot smoother.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just read that Gill was signed as a cat b rookie for the VFL side. would he have the same eligibility at afl level?
No that mean he wasn't on our main VFL List. Gill and Ramshaw come through our Carlton Sport Academy. Ramshaw debuted last year I think played the last 4 games including finals. I would rookie both and Dozzi on 2 years AFL list and continue their development until ready for AFL possibly also Archie Stevens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2023 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back