Autopsy 2023 Round 1 DRAW. Ugly Blues still can't close out games

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean sure some commentators can be annoying or buffoons, but the way you are completely disregarding my point is strange.

If it were only 1 or 2 commentators who had this opinion then fine, but every commentator who covers footy on TV or radio would talk about a team that was in our position wanting to slow it down and take no risks.

Hodge and Daisy both said it in our game. As I said, every commentator would say the team losing wants to get the ball out in space and put speed on the ball while the one winning wants to keep it slow and in tight.

Why would every commentator say that, many ex footy players? Hodge saying that provides no extra drama or whatever you are insinuating as a commentator, he's simply providing an observation of a mistake and tactical flaw we made. One shared by pretty much every commentator.

It absolutely was not a near certain goal. LoB did amazingly well in the end, but it was Harry and 5 Richmond players in our defensive 50. All our other players had pushed back deep as per instruction to flood our backline...a fast break isn't optimal in that situation we didn't have enough players forward of the ball.
That kick, to a key forward, is a near certain goal. Do you disagree?

Slipping over isn't an excuse. Harrly slipped over in 2 contests late in the game, the Richmond players didn't.

Lynch didn't slip in big moments either.
It is one thing Harry has done throughout his short career which I was hoping he would develop out of -- his arse goes to ground a lot in and around contests while Oppo hold there feet ..

Just glass half full:

Out last 3 games for premiership points we’ve lost by a combined 6 pts to 3 top 8 teams,2 of those games without SWalsh.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
flip side is the pies won around 10 games last year by 12 points or less - or was it 12 games by 10 or less? either way - ****!

American sports tend to try to have these kind of 'programmable' players. I think the thinking may be different if you watch more American sports is all, a lot of 'optimizing' strategies and 'clutch' time plans.
That's better than whatever I was thinking you were getting at!

As I understand it, with gridiron college games there are more or less unlimited time outs; coaches can call off play and break games down into maneuvers. Basketball games also feature a timeout, and positional play is easier with only 5 vs 5 moving pieces.

I don't follow those sports, no. I also don't really follow rugby; footy, cricket, hockey, netball for me. But while you can absolutely transfer aspects of American-style analysis to footy, it's a long way from the absolute science some treat it as being; this is absolutely one of those cases, because in order to do what people wanted him to do (wait that crucial second too long) Motlop could've let the chance to win it go begging.

Coaches want their players taking that chance almost all the time. I do not think Motlop will get yelled at at all for that play, and even if it's drilled out of him later it will not be brought up to him even once.

The player who will bear the fault for it is LOB. He ran past on a slow play; he made the mad dash; he delivered an excellent kick.

We'll see what the coaches think at selection next week.

1.42min left on the clock (Score - Us 58, them 52)

Gov kicks out of Tigers defence to Motlop

Motlop handballs to LOB

LOB's run & pinpoint pass to Harry & if Harry had marked the ball instead of slipping/falling over, could have shaved 30sec off the clock, kicked a behind or goal and game OVER!

Also you’ll notice Rioli is absolutely spent still trailing Lachie by a few meters he could have closed in on 50 and gone for home once he’d decided to hold onto the ball for as long as he did …

Reading a fair bit about how we handle close games.

I think many have the last 2 games embedded in the memory, 2 games against strong top 8 sides last year

Last year, games 12 points and under, 3 and 3. No doubt we need to be better, but some of the melts are a little heavy

As for this shit about Voss being out coached, the game was close all game, not a landslide loss

My 2c.

I'll begrudgingly take 2 points from that. I'm disappointed and frustrated by the performance though.
It's better than a loss. But it sure as hell feels like one.

We saw 2022 Carlton last night, but without the scintillating patches of dominance.

We saw dumb decisions and dumb football. We saw fumbles and dropped marks aplenty.
We saw us work so hard for minimal result on the scoreboard, only to allow the opposition an easy response.

Most alarmingly, we saw our players and our leaders make the same fatal mistakes that cost us so dearly in 2022. Going into season 2023, this was the one thing I so desperately wanted to see had changed. On first viewing, it hasn't.

And that scares me.

I don't believe in blaming a single individual for a loss. Never have and never will. But in critical moments you need players to stand up and keep their composure, and that standard has to be led by our senior players.

I didn't see that.

Instead I saw Owies handball to McGovern who wasn't looking.
I saw Charlie kick the ball out on the full late in a quarter resulting in a shot on goal for our opposition.
I saw Saad inexplicably go for a run when slowing the game down was required.
I saw Acres drop a sitter.
I saw Harry fail to keep his feet.
I saw Doc dump kick blindly straight to a Richmond player.

Sadly these are just a snapshot; I saw many other instances which show our decision making and our mentality remains sub par.

I still have great confidence in this year. I believe we have the talent to go deep in finals but that ultimately we're a 5-8 team. I still believe that's the case, but the competition is incredibly even, arguably more so than ever before. How players handle these 50/50 moments and the pressure of performing will ultimately decide their fate.

And once again...that scares me. Because on all available evidence we can't handle it to the standard required.

It's important to not overreact. The media will. Some supporters will. I believe our coaches will not.

On to the next one. What a great challenge against the best in the business. Let's see if we're up to it.

EDIT: Oh, and one word on the LOB kick at the end. Anyone blaming him for what transpires either has rocks in their head, an agenda, or a little bit of both.
Yes, he fumbled. But he recovered and his kick to Harry was UNBELIEVABLY good. It was absolutely ****ing perfect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't recall a piece of play ever being as discussed as much as last night's Motlop, O'Brien, Harry sequence. I have some views but feel like it's already been covered from every possible angle lol.
you'll make your views known and like it............

1.42min left on the clock (Score - Us 58, them 52)

Gov kicks out of Tigers defence to Motlop

Motlop handballs to LOB

LOB's run & pinpoint pass to Harry & if Harry had marked the ball instead of slipping/falling over, could have shaved 30sec off the clock, kicked a behind or goal and game OVER!

On video looks different to at the ground. I am not blaming LOB for the loss as there were many worse mistakes that cost us in the last but the issue is that when LOB got to the wing Harry was ten metres in the clear on the 50. If he had kicked it long to Harry in his general direction it would have been him, at worst, one on one.

Now, LOB decided it was the better option to keep running and taking on the player, which, in hindsight, I understand the decision and can see that LOB believed it was the right choice. He didn't cost us the game, there were plenty of howlers that led up to that. I'm happy for LOB to have the self belief to take the game on in the dying stages, something that we don't have many players willing to do, but in this instance he should have kicked it after he got to the wing.

I’m in no way blaming LOB for the loss. It’s a game of inches and there were several “inches” which let us down in that last 5 minutes, by several players. Was just fresh of my mind and I needed to vent, but it’s not the sole reason as to why we lost.
I know Reg, I’m sorry having a go at you personally, but I chose you because you’re a quality regular as opposed to the usual rank and file nuffies that only play the blame game on one significant, in their eyes moment out of literally hundreds.
Big rest next week, the heirs to the thrown.
We’d wanna play a helluva lot better than last night, big week for the boys to find some of their mojo!

Back line was good…

Midfield was ok, look slow…

Forward line was ordinary, except for Mots who was buzzing around. Harry and Charlie needed the run, Owies, no words. Martin needs to be closer to goal as he has the skill to make something out of nothing…

Really lacked leg speed…
All four (Mots, Fish, Martin and Owies) seemed to be too far up the ground most of the time.
Harry and Charlie weren't really clunking them but there didn't seem to be anyone at their feet.
No issue with some of them working up the ground when required, but when they struggle to get back to the right spots when going forward, it defeats the purpose.

Easy to see why Voss was so furious about the Cuners incident. Imagine a high HF who can create scores and win his own footy out there last night.

A bit of ****ing speed on the field wouldn't hurt. Team is slow.

Boyd, Cuningham, Durdin...

Some incredibly weird takes in here. If anyone should be copping it it's Harry.

Missed two extremely easy goals and then fell over for no reason when the game was there to be won. Played a very good game overall but is exhibiting some worrying signs re: mental midgetry.

Thought Curnow went back into the stupid mentality of trying to wrestle all the time.
Granted, most of the kicks inside 50 were absolute shit, but Grimes is an elite holder and Curnow was playing into his game.

Somehow got his 3 goals, no ****ing idea how.

One thing that I think is being a bit undersold is the lack of genuine match preparation the players get now.

Used to have several proper practice games and now it’s just some half-arsed club-organised scratch match and then one ‘official’ game.

It’s very hard to suddenly just turn it on after months without playing at AFL-level intensity.

Yes it’s the same for all teams but it’s going to take clubs several weeks to find their groove properly. Richmond were pretty poor too imo.

Reading a fair bit about how we handle close games.

I think many have the last 2 games embedded in the memory, 2 games against strong top 8 sides last year

Last year, games 12 points and under, 3 and 3. No doubt we need to be better, but some of the melts are a little heavy

As for this s**t about Voss being out coached, the game was close all game, not a landslide loss

Only a sample size of one but something else i haven’t seen mentioned yet, no 4/5 goal run on by the opposition so i‘ll take that as a tick.

Think the desperation of some is definitely over the top after one game plus I get the impression that people think Richmond are shit. They are still a very good football team and have added quality to the weakest part of the ground for them, their midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Round 1 DRAW. Ugly Blues still can't close out games

Back