Autopsy 2023 Round 14 We needed this! Blues break the drought with big win over Suns

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 14 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Enjoyed what Fog gave us today too. He's upgradeable but for now he's got a role to play. Handy depth.

If only Fisher could get back to his best.
Fogs First few games were really good. Applied pressure lots of tackling etc but not sure what happened after that. Hopefully he is back to his best again.

I
Quarter time it looked another long arvo, then we came out in the 2nd, totally dominated the middle, owned the corridor & smashed the Sunnyboys to bits.

Cerra is A grade, Kemp was fantastic & there’s probably 10 others having their best games for the year.

Tackle count was up, accuracy the same, back 6 looked far more organised.

Have to wonder where that’s been for the last 2 months.

Anyhoo, take it.
maintain that we’d have 3, if not 4, wins more if we converted at AFL average.

Showed today what happens when we kick straight!

Quarter time it looked another long arvo, then we came out in the 2nd, totally dominated the middle, owned the corridor & smashed the Sunnyboys to bits.

Cerra is A grade, Kemp was fantastic & there’s probably 10 others having their best games for the year.

Tackle count was up, accuracy the same, back 6 looked far more organised.

Have to wonder where that’s been for the last 2 months.

Anyhoo, take it.

I was get the win
But our game style upped. Attack Is the best defence. Was an honour to watch it unfold.🧨

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's so good at playing in the right position and shape. Limited as all * but I love his discipline

4 score involvements in his 10 possessions. You can't ask for much more from him

He's so good at playing in the right position and shape. Limited as all * but I love his discipline

I’ll have to go back and watch again but I think Fogarty pressure including blocks smothers steals and tackles led to about 3 goals today which is a huge improvement on Motlop and Durdin combined

Also I think Binns should come in before Dow or Hewett. No real passengers today but Binns has a long future at Carlton and need to get senior games into him now so need to find someone unlucky to drop.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't remember us missing from the goalsquare in previous weeks. Created far more convertible chances this week. There were graphics during the game emphasising that.
We weren’t even converting the 50/50 shots.

We had 20-25 scoring opportunities per game and were well below standard on accuracy, regardless of shot location. That doesn’t include OOB shots either on opportunities fhat in most cases would at least register a behind.

Think we have been battered and bruised and smashed until we changed our ways and that's what we have done. It's been a long time since we fielded a side which was the better team on the outside and the quicker team. We showed signs we are embracing modern footy which is about speed, pressure, run and tackling.

The defence was good, defended well and it provided a lot of run from behind the play.

The forward line was the best it's been all season. McKay and Curnow after all the experimentation are back to playing deep while DeKoning was back to playing the forward/ruck role and playing CHF. I've been going on about this setup for months and finally we go to it and it works! It meant the forward line functioned. We were good at ground level. We pressured the opposition.

The midfield was as good as it has been. First quarter was rubbish. It was the same stand and wrestle tactic we have seen the last month and a half. Then we decided to move and the clearances and run came.

We've cleared out a lot of slow players. Motlop (no tank), Hewett, Young, Silvagni and Fisher who is a non-tackler. Brought in some speed and some tacklers and look at this, we have pace and tackling working for us.

We also added players we can rotate through the midfield which is something we have dearly lacked this season. This has a lot to do with the coach being too precious about who he lets go into the centre square as well as poor team selection and player development. Needless to say we got that part not 100% right but vastly improved in this game.

Where can we improve? Probably more midfield rotations. We got slack with this after half time and we did have a period our mids ran out of gas. We need to keep our rotations going. Liked seeing Fogarty and Cuningham go into the midfield but we need to up the number of players we see go in there.

The key thing was that we upped our leg speed and tacklers. We upped our pressure and tackling quality. It really had a massive impact.

Docherty - Back in defence and playing that high up unaccountable ball hunting role and doing it really really well. He's a top line half back. He's been on the ball, up forward last week but back home in defence and that's good for everyone.

Walsh - Probably not his biggest game stats wise but IMO this was one of his best ever games. I've been critical of Walsh for racking up big numbers and having very little influence on the game. I've found a lot of his possessions are nothing possessions and that he does not use his run. Not the story today, he was damaging, he was starting the back side of the contest running through it and creating run and carry which is what I have said before that I want from him. Great to see him on the outside running with the ball in hand and hurting the opposition.

Kennedy - One of his better games as well, he even found some run and carry and was a damaging player. Again not trying to wrestle in the stoppages too much he was on the move and he was good.

Cripps - Cripps at his best he is going forward and kicking goals and he did that today. Cripps is an excellent forward, he does not go forward enough but he was such a strong influence up forward today. Good in the middle but we weren't too Cripps reliant today. It's actually good for us to get him out of the midfield at times and send him forward.

Cerra - Been critical about our use of him too. Came to us as a goal kicking mid but have not seen it. Well today we did. He was outstanding. He's probably leading our B&F. Really liked his game today.

Kemp - He's really come on in leaps and bounds. He's tall but he can run like the wind and takes a good intercept mark. Found his home in defence, provided some run and carry, he was great.

Newman - It was good to have him back, he's a solid player. He's not super quick but he's clever and a good user.

Saad - He was back to his best, he was providing run and carry, we were looking to give it to him, he was great today.

Cottrell - a strong game from him. Provided run, kicking was pretty good, kicked two goals, was still running at the end.

Acres - Was not as prolific as he has been but that was mainly because we were bypassing the wing more. Wasn't his best game but he was solid.

Weitering - Liked his game, he looked to be more physical and aggressive. Having midfield pressure really supports a player like him. Just like to see him move the ball on quicker, he's got a habit of taking an intercept mark and waiting for the opposition to setup defensively before he moves it on.

McGovern - He was excellent. Hit some crucial targets, used his pace, took some intercept marks. His form has been down but again a player like him is going to love midfield pressure.

Curnow - Thought he was really good. He got knocked around a bit but got up and kept going. Gave some really strong contests. Hit the scoreboard.

DeKoning - I know he had a good game against Sydney last season but this game IMO was his best ever game. Why? Because he played his role and did it exceptionally well. Forward ruck. He took marks at CHF, he kicked roles and he rucked well. At that level of output he is a must have player.

Cuningham - He wasn't huge on the stats but he was strong on impact. Gave us run around the contests, tackled, took tackles. Pretty happy with his game.

Cincotta - Another player who didn't get a huge amount of it but was influential. Gave us run and carry. He can do it, he's a good kick, he's someone we want to get going and keep developing.

Boyd - Same as Cincotta.

Owies - Excellent. Just kept getting to the right positions and worked hard to get there. Kicked goals. Tackled well. Used it well.

McKay - Three goals, gave a good contest in the air, liked his game.

Fogarty - Thought he brought a bit into the side. He has leg speed, he tackles, he kicked a goal, he went on the ball at times. Liked his game.

Pittonet - Played ok, Witts abit big and dominant in the ruck but it didn't matter in the end.

Martin - Terrific early, if we could get him fit then we have the forward we need.

Dow - Came on early in the last quarter and provided some run, found 8 disposals and showed intent to tackle. He wants it, he looked more than good enough to do it, we all want him to have a full game.

Lets hope we get to get our season back on track and and keep improving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was great to see the following today...

1: Real team spirit
Seen players really getting around each other with encouragement, pats on the back, helping each other up after a contest, celebrating good passages of play, effort, goals etc👏

2: Team work and good unselfish play for the majority of the game, really looked to share the ball.

3: Real desire to tackle, pressure and work hard without the ball which ignited transition offense/spread, helped us run & create improving ball movement, reward for effort and scoreboard pressure.

4: Set shot goal kicking, much needed improvement & underrated component of the game.

5: Our players/coaches looking genuinely excited with our style of play with big smiles on their faces.... they really enjoyed their footy today.

Time to back it up and become more consistent now !!

I don't remember us missing from the goalsquare in previous weeks. Created far more convertible chances this week. There were graphics during the game emphasising that.
Dominating CBB clearances allowed for fast, direct through the middle entries - that was a huge difference in the game right there.
Boyd , Cincotta and Kemp starting to show what can happen when overlap run is created.
A fitter Cripps, Walsh and inclusion of genuine class in Cuningham and Martin was another positive.

Lots of personnel changes allowed for the game plan to actually work rather than not.

God that felt nice. Hardly any passengers today. Matt Kennedy is a beast. Walshy is back. Crippa leading the team. That is the bare minimum moving forward.

I thought Cripps and Curnow were decent today but really just following along in the jetstream from Cerra, Doc and Walsh in particular.

Good even game from most players but Cerra was a beast in the stoppages. Either winning the clearance or laying a massive tackle to stop them

His best game - building into a real high level mid right now.

Dow - excellent. Kicking was a tad rough but seriously good. Pro rata 40 pos game.

Weitering, Kemp and Gov mix looked very good despite being slightly undersized. Saad, Doch, Newman, Boyd and Cincotta a good mix who are all looking to move the ball quickly. Boyd slowly becoming one of my favourite players
Boyd did so many little things off ball.

JustaBattler would be proud of the mongrel he showed.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We should be looking at winning 3 of our next 4 games and getting ourselves back in contention for finals. It's not a hard draw and if we could get up and about enough perhaps even take out a big fish. Still think we are a good enough side to do that. Particularly if we continue on from today with embracing modern football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Round 14 We needed this! Blues break the drought with big win over Suns

Back