Autopsy 2023 Round 23 Wounded Blues Soar Back Into The 8

Who played well for the Blues in Round 23 vs the Eagles? *BLUES SUPPORTERS ONLY*

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Was just about to post something similar. Nervous when Young was in defence, but he did his part. Hopefully a turning point in a way, because if he can step up it will help in the long run. Will see how he goes about it next week...

Guess this is why we're talking to Haynes. Would also release Kemp forward if he comes.

Sure, but let's maybe not extrapolate out yesterday's stats with an average over a full season. Harry had 7 tackles against the Tigers back in round one, doesn't mean he's gonna put that up every week.

I'd love to see Kemp remain up forward, but realistically if he's playing as a third tall foil, the benchmark is probably 1.8 tackles a game and it'd be incredible if he could maintain an average anywhere north of 2.5.

That being said, if he plays third tall to Harry and Charlie, I do think he'll need to make tackling one of his consistent contributions. Doesn't need to be posting record numbers, just applying pressure whenever possible and taking the 3-4 chances he might get most weeks. Working out how best to use those three at the same time will be a challenge for the coaches.
This is in essence what I want. With Fog in and Kemp up forward - to match Harry's 2.5 tackles a game - that's a similar number we'd be getting out of Martin, Mots, Durdin, Harry and Charlie; additional height and increased marking power at no defensive cost. Complete the set - Williams, Charlie, Kemp, Fog, Harry, Owies - and that's a side that can compete bloody well in the air without sacrificing the ground ball game.

Add some wings, HBF's and mids who like a goal - Acres, the Hollands boys, Newman, Cripps, Kennedy - and that's a lot of scoring power.

God, but it feels good to be positive about the team again!

Leigh Mathews on Footy Furnace discussing Carlton's win and forward line goal spread

"When you have big dominant forwards you kick it to them all the time. When you don't, you kick it to the best option"

Jimmy Bartel

"All their forwards were moving and they lowered their eyes. Went with speed and instinct. Hasn't happened with the big fella's up front"

Amen

If Elijah Hollands (listed at 86kg) lost 12kg and weighed as much as Jakob or Kerr (74kg at most) that is a 14% reduction in body weight

VO2 max is a very good predictor in determining athletic performance, if we estimate Elijah’s at 64.5 based on his time trial then his total VO2 would be 64.5 * 86kg = 5547ml

Then divide 5547 by 74 and you’d have a 10 point increase in VO2 max to 74.9

Thats a 16% increase

They are both freak aerobic athletes and I don’t know why it is such a stretch to some to suggest that some of our most gifted runners could qualify as Olympians had they had specificities oriented to said sport (such as reducing their body weight to improve running economy)
You are making out that they are something out of the ordinary. There would be at least a dozen players in the AFL that can run as well. They aren't even the best 2 at the club. The Australian record for 2kms is 4.48 a whole minute faster

This is in essence what I want. With Fog in and Kemp up forward - to match Harry's 2.5 tackles a game - that's a similar number we'd be getting out of Martin, Mots, Durdin, Harry and Charlie; additional height and increased marking power at no defensive cost. Complete the set - Williams, Charlie, Kemp, Fog, Harry, Owies - and that's a side that can compete bloody well in the air without sacrificing the ground ball game.

Add some wings, HBF's and mids who like a goal - Acres, the Hollands boys, Newman, Cripps, Kennedy - and that's a lot of scoring power.

God, but it feels good to be positive about the team again!

I like that six.

You are making out that they are something out of the ordinary. There would be at least a dozen players in the AFL that can run as well. They aren't even the best 2 at the club. The Australian record for 2kms is 4.48 a whole minute faster
They are out of the ordinary - a dozen players who can run sub 6 is still a huge effort given the musculature they carry and the non-sport specific training they do.

Many AFL athletes could defo perform at the olympics, I think you overstate olympic level athleticism

If they were better, more well rounded athletes they'd play professional sports with monetary gain associated. Most of our athletes, even some of the winningest have full time jobs.

EDIT:
Who is better in the 2k than those two? Cottrell would be near them or better, but nobody else would beat them.

BTW, Collingwood stuffed up and released the time of Nick's TT result.. best at the club.. 6:32 (I could give that a nudge and I'm heavier than Nick)

So sub 6 is absolutely out of the ordinary for AFL bodies, only a few in the comp (as you said, a dozen - less than one per club)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leigh Mathews on Footy Furnace discussing Carlton's win and forward line goal spread

"When you have big dominant forwards you kick it to them all the time. When you don't, you kick it to the best option"

Jimmy Bartel

"All their forwards were moving and they lowered their eyes. Went with speed and instinct. Hasn't happened with the big fella's up front"

Amen

:thumbsu: Jimmy B.

As far as I'm concerned forward craft is pretty much instinctual and players with forward nous (ie Williams as an example) should be allowed to play that way.

Harry and Charlie are people magnets and it just becomes predictable and a ****ing hard day at the office where players up the ground just make it their problem with long high dump kicks into the F50. So easy for good defences to defend against.

Williams has become what we all wanted to see from Martin on a regular basis, Kemp would add more again and as long as him and the other two stay out of each other's way (and this is the single biggest issue) it can work well.

I would leave Charlie deeper, since his knee issues his athleticism is diminished, Harry further up the ground (chop out coming out of defence) and relief rucking and let Kemp fly for the higher balls coming in.

I had a bloody good day yesterday with my son, we cheered loudly and I have no voice today.

in the second half behind all the Eagles supporters I kept yelling "How good is Carlton":p

A few Weagles got a bit upset but that meant I was doing a good job;)

WA Supporters have kick started the Blues revival and it's up to you Vics to keep it going.

:thumbsu: Jimmy B.

As far as I'm concerned forward craft is pretty much instinctual and players with forward nous (ie Williams as an example) should be allowed to play that way.

Harry and Charlie are people magnets and it just becomes predictable and a ****ing hard day at the office where players up the ground just make it their problem with long high dump kicks into the F50. So easy for good defences to defend against.

Williams has become what we all wanted to see from Martin on a regular basis, Kemp would add more again and as long as him and the other two stay out of each other's way (and this is the single biggest issue) it can work well.

I would leave Charlie deeper, since his knee issues his athleticism is diminished, Harry further up the ground (chop out coming out of defence) and relief rucking and let Kemp fly for the higher balls coming in.

Harry and Charlie are the problem...

Harry -> Petracca

Keep Charlie.

lol I don't know if I want them to actually do that... but it might not be so bad...

I had a bloody good day yesterday with my son, we cheered loudly and I have no voice today.

in the second half behind all the Eagles supporters I kept yelling "How good is Carlton":p

A few Weagles got a bit upset but that meant I was doing a good job;)

WA Supporters have kick started the Blues revival and it's up to you Vics to keep it going.
I find it difficult to believe that you would act like this.😂

If we can beat Saints then Hawks Cats GWS Lions win their games then we could possibly play Hawks in an elimination final at the G… 🤞
I hope it works out that way. Knocking them out sure would be sweet after last week.

Harry and Charlie are the problem...

Harry -> Petracca

Keep Charlie.

lol I don't know if I want them to actually do that... but it might not be so bad...

Tbh even if true I can't see anyway we get Petrac so fair pipe dream for mine.

Don't think Harry and Charlie are the problem per se it's up the ground; ie to Lethal's comment everyone just kicks to them and that's on the mids etc.

Charlie can't jump like Kemp anymore, that's why he wrestles a lot and Harry is such a benefit further up the ground, he's a great chop out target has speed and can lay a tackle.

If Voss is as smart as us on here Kemp is your forward line x factor going forward and of course he's not kicking 4 every game but your forward line needs to be dynamic and kick to C or H is just not.

Tbh even if true I can't see anyway we get Petrac so fair pipe dream for mine.

Don't think Harry and Charlie are the problem per se it's up the ground; ie to Lethal's comment everyone just kicks to them and that's on the mids etc.

Charlie can't jump like Kemp anymore, that's why he wrestles a lot and Harry is such a benefit further up the ground, he's a great chop out target has speed and can lay a tackle.

If Voss is as smart as us on here Kemp is your forward line x factor going forward and of course he's not kicking 4 every game but your forward line needs to be dynamic and kick to C or H is just not.
I think Charlie can jump like Kemp but he just gets held up so often that he doesn't get to jump at the footy enough - when you give him a run and jump it's lights out

Kemp is way faster than Charlie and way more agile than both Harry and Charlie

I much prefer him in the front half, I've liked in the VFL up front too

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Round 23 Wounded Blues Soar Back Into The 8

Back