Autopsy 2023 Round 23 Wounded Blues Soar Back Into The 8

Who played well for the Blues in Round 23 vs the Eagles? *BLUES SUPPORTERS ONLY*

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a bloody good day yesterday with my son, we cheered loudly and I have no voice today.

in the second half behind all the Eagles supporters I kept yelling "How good is Carlton":p

A few Weagles got a bit upset but that meant I was doing a good job;)

WA Supporters have kick started the Blues revival and it's up to you Vics to keep it going.
I saw you on TV taking on the Karen’s of WA. Good stuff !

By the way was that fat campaigner next to you JustaBattler ? Geez he’s put on a few !

Last edited:
I hope it works out that way. Knocking them out sure would be sweet after last week.
Would be great, infront of a full house at the G…
Hopefully the returning players from injury with 2/3 weeks off might be a bit of a bonus in freshening them all up…

They are out of the ordinary - a dozen players who can run sub 6 is still a huge effort given the musculature they carry and the non-sport specific training they do.

Many AFL athletes could defo perform at the olympics, I think you overstate olympic level athleticism

If they were better, more well rounded athletes they'd play professional sports with monetary gain associated. Most of our athletes, even some of the winningest have full time jobs.

EDIT:
Who is better in the 2k than those two? Cottrell would be near them or better, but nobody else would beat them.

BTW, Collingwood stuffed up and released the time of Nick's TT result.. best at the club.. 6:32 (I could give that a nudge and I'm heavier than Nick)

So sub 6 is absolutely out of the ordinary for AFL bodies, only a few in the comp (as you said, a dozen - less than one per club)
7 players have run under 6 minutes at the draft combine in the last 4 years. Harry Sharp ran it in 5.28.Now that is starting to get into the elite category.

Binns while being slower at the combine is now quicker.

I think Charlie can jump like Kemp but he just gets held up so often that he doesn't get to jump at the footy enough - when you give him a run and jump it's lights out

Kemp is way faster than Charlie and way more agile than both Harry and Charlie

I much prefer him in the front half, I've liked in the VFL up front too

I was going to say what a difference it makes to have someone down their who can jump like Kemp.

Even if we are bombing it, it may be worth throwing Kempy there to add some x-factor and leap.

I think Charlie can jump like Kemp but he just gets held up so often that he doesn't get to jump at the footy enough - when you give him a run and jump it's lights out

Kemp is way faster than Charlie and way more agile than both Harry and Charlie

I much prefer him in the front half, I've liked in the VFL up front too
People are giving Charlie the treatment they're giving Walsh around here.

Both are freakshows playing with injury. Both should've been rested and had less onus on them to do everything but we are where we are now. Russell gone. Voss discovered rotations and remembered the actual meaning of next man up but too many fans running around talking crazy forgetting how immobile these superstars are atm.

Probably goes for a few others like Cerra etc too. Just asked to do too much by Russell by Voss etc and playing broken. Manage them properly and this is a very very good team.

And yeh. Kempy is as dynamic as they come for that size. You absolutely want that leap and speed running around. This is more dynamic and more polished with more talent by miles than what the crows did when they stormed into a grand final with Mitch as their third tall.

You clearly have an agenda against Elijah. He's had 25 possessions and 3 tackles playing all over the ground. Personally I thought he's had a great first season at a new club and fitted in seamlessly.

People forget he's only played 30 odd AFL games. Will play 200 games for us.
Maybe it's personal. I am quite perplexed by the negativity as I don't remember DQ going after a player like this.
Ah well.

I don't see them as the problem. I see how we use them and deliver the ball as the problem
I think blame falls on both sides, definitely the players decision making/kicking it into F50 are terrible at times, but the lack of presenting and leading patterns by both Charlie & Harry and our forwards in general is extremely ordinary…

If feel that the coach and line coaches are contributing to some of these factors as well, it’s their responsibility on the methods in how they teach and develop their particular roles within the areas they are responsible for, covering all aspects of the entire gamestyle…

People are giving Charlie the treatment they're giving Walsh around here.

Both are freakshows playing with injury. Both should've been rested and had less onus on them to do everything but we are where we are now. Russell gone. Voss discovered rotations and remembered the actual meaning of next man up but too many fans running around talking crazy forgetting how immobile these superstars are atm.

Probably goes for a few others like Cerra etc too. Just asked to do too much by Russell by Voss etc and playing broken. Manage them properly and this is a very very good team.

And yeh. Kempy is as dynamic as they come for that size. You absolutely want that leap and speed running around. This is more dynamic and more polished with more talent by miles than what the crows did when they stormed into a grand final with Mitch as their third tall.
Yeah, they are both playing with injury - I mean not to diminish Curnow or Harry's ability, they are both freaks

I am just simply stating that Kemp adds another layer to the forward line with his ground level ability and speed. He is not as strong, fit or good aerially as either Harry or Charlie nor is he as crafty around goal.

I just reckon Kemp belongs up forward with Harry and Charlie.

Sorry if it came across that way, trust me I am the biggest fan of Charlie there is

I think blame falls on both sides, definitely the players decision making/kicking it into F50 are terrible at times, but the lack of presenting and leading patterns by both Charlie & Harry and our forwards in general is extremely ordinary…

If feel that the coach and line coaches are contributing to some of these factors as well, it’s their responsibility on the methods in how they teach and develop their particular roles within the areas they are responsible for, covering all aspects of the entire gamestyle…

Agree

7 players have run under 6 minutes at the draft combine in the last 4 years. Harry Sharp ran it in 5.28.Now that is starting to get into the elite category.

Binns while being slower at the combine is now quicker.

And Sharp was 69kg running it 20-odd seconds faster - surely you can see my point that Elijah is doing comparable times whilst being 17kg heavier.. right?

I think you are just overestimating the qualities of olympic athletes and not approaching this with enough nuance, I don't think Lij or even Sharp would be beating Kerr, Hocker, Jakob etc.

But I certainly believe they could at least qualify for the olympics in middle distance disciplines if they trained for that purpose strictly

I know West Coast are no world beaters, but...

Patrick Cripps was our leading career goalkicker of the 23 that played yesterday.

We had 29 scoring shots. Amazing...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just so ive got this right, bloke who played fwd as a junior and kicked the winning goal at the champs, played well in the fwd line today??

If you want this right, the bloke that played as a 3rd tall intercepting defender as a junior but was being trialed as mid in his u18 year with small stints up forward before he tore his ACL, played well in the fwd line yesterday...

Yeah, they are both playing with injury - I mean not to diminish Curnow or Harry's ability, they are both freaks

I am just simply stating that Kemp adds another layer to the forward line with his ground level ability and speed. He is not as strong, fit or good aerially as either Harry or Charlie nor is he as crafty around goal.

I just reckon Kemp belongs up forward with Harry and Charlie.

Sorry if it came across that way, trust me I am the biggest fan of Charlie there is
Nah I was agreeing with you and questioning the logic that exists in a general sense.

Kempy absolutely should be up there with them.

If Elijah Hollands (listed at 86kg) lost 12kg and weighed as much as Jakob or Kerr (74kg at most) that is a 14% reduction in body weight

VO2 max is a very good predictor in determining athletic performance, if we estimate Elijah’s at 64.5 based on his time trial then his total VO2 would be 64.5 * 86kg = 5547ml

Then divide 5547 by 74 and you’d have a 10 point increase in VO2 max to 74.9

Thats a 16% increase

They are both freak aerobic athletes and I don’t know why it is such a stretch to some to suggest that some of our most gifted runners could qualify as Olympians had they had specificities oriented to said sport (such as reducing their body weight to improve running economy)
You lost me after the 1st sentence :think:

You lost me after the 1st sentence :think:
Essentially VO2 max is measured in ml/min/kg

So you can multiply the ml by KG to get total output per minute, then divide that figure by a projected weight to work out what a persons VO2 max would be at a different weight

And VO2 max is a very good predictor in distance running, many other factors (lactate threshold etc.) which aren’t always upstreams or downstreams in some predicable ratio but it’s a nice rule of thumb

Just in short, the serious middle distance runners in the AFL are freaks and I think they’d be competitive elite middle distance runners if they trained for it specifically

Leigh Mathews on Footy Furnace discussing Carlton's win and forward line goal spread

"When you have big dominant forwards you kick it to them all the time. When you don't, you kick it to the best option"

Jimmy Bartel

"All their forwards were moving and they lowered their eyes. Went with speed and instinct. Hasn't happened with the big fella's up front"

Amen
We might trade Charlie and Harry 😲😲

Leigh Mathews on Footy Furnace discussing Carlton's win and forward line goal spread

"When you have big dominant forwards you kick it to them all the time. When you don't, you kick it to the best option"

Jimmy Bartel

"All their forwards were moving and they lowered their eyes. Went with speed and instinct. Hasn't happened with the big fella's up front"

Amen
Even Voss's prehistoric coach can see it :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Meanwhile Bartel been reading Bigfooty :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Round 23 Wounded Blues Soar Back Into The 8

Back