Autopsy 2023 Round 23 Wounded Blues Soar Back Into The 8

Who played well for the Blues in Round 23 vs the Eagles? *BLUES SUPPORTERS ONLY*

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a good win but they are a genuine bottom side that doesn't have the quality or the leg speed to exploit us.

Every time we select a side that is a little more quicker and mobile we tend to win. We looked good. We looked faster and more mobile.
Wouldn’t downplay the win too much gb because WCE are a bottom placed team.

We’ve been playing like a disorganised rabble, got flogged by Hawks and had to travel interstate. Not to mention we were potentially playing at our weakest with so many senior players out.

I haven’t been able to watch the game yet but by all accounts the team had to adapt quickly and did. The most positive thing for me is that hopefully Voss has learnt something more about the team’s capabilties that will help us going forward.

I am NOT a Young fan. He frustrates me BUT having that extra tall to support Weitering is vital. We look so much better

Has to be made to work, Young and Weiters, Next year no Marchbank and probably no Durdin so unless we find someone special in the draft, we are back to undersized backs

Walsh - He did all he had to. He's been doing the bulk of the chasing and defensive efforts in there. Some are mistaking it for lack of form. I think he's spending more energy chasing opposition and less hunting the footy.
Wait this is an interesting point.

While I do think he's carrying something, we all remember the discourse after Naicos got away from him earlier in the season and kicked the sealer?

Maybe he's almost overcompensating with defensive focus.

I am NOT a Young fan. He frustrates me BUT having that extra tall to support Weitering is vital. We look so much better
I'm with you. Structurally it's good. Weitering has been good at CHB when he has got to play there. Young can play full back but that is the only position he can play back there. Not back pocket, not CHB, not lose man... I think it could work. Worth persisting with. Weitering intercepting up the ground at CHB does generate some really good attacking rebound plays.

Wait this is an interesting point.

While I do think he's carrying something, we all remember the discourse after Naicos got away from him earlier in the season and kicked the sealer?

Maybe he's almost overcompensating with defensive focus.
I reckon the form thing about Walsh is rubbish. I reckon the injury thing is rubbish as well. I think because he has pace, he's been driven to do a lot of the chasing.

The last two months he's been the only mid who really chases hard. If the opposition break away from the stoppage, it's only ever really Walsh who goes after them.

From my observations. He's putting a hell of a lot more energy into his pressure game than he ever has. This has a lot to do with the other mids. The simply can't do it.

So this is where his energy is going. Which means he's got less energy to spend offensively.

Walsh to me is still running well and moving well. He's just fatigued. He's clearly been hammered by his coaches about doing the defensive running and he's doing it.

He could do with some friends in there to help. He's been busting his arse when teams get ontop of us in the middle.

Well if he chooses us... going to be tough for Melbourne to keep a player that doesn't want to be there. Their contracts probably cancel out too. Was really just a thought, I'm in two minds about it to be honest. Obviously Harry is a star, but hard to say no to Petracca...

As for Kemp, does he have the same impact with Harry and Charlie there as well? Hard to say, maybe time will tell if Voss tries it.
He'd be getting the 3rd penguin each week. So as long as the delivery was decent, also loved his attack on the ball, scored a few goals simply from his pressure, hes quicker than everyone in the fwd line

0:19 seconds left in the final quarter Newman runs down Hunt and gets holding the ball,sums up the mindset we had.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cost me a prelim final in Fantasy Footy by 1 poinf after I stupidly changed my trade from Newman to Sicily that morning fearing the blustery weather in Perth. I was understandably torn at that moment.

It was a good win but they are a genuine bottom side that doesn't have the quality or the leg speed to exploit us.

Every time we select a side that is a little more quicker and mobile we tend to win. We looked good. We looked faster and more mobile.

We should have been playing young players every time we played bottom sides like North and WCE.

Some players have probably found new positions, it's about time. Kemp and Carroll were outstanding in their new roles.

Hewett - Was able to impact heavily against WCE. He was very good, just monstered the opposition quite a bit.

Cripps - Was much the same, monstered them.

Newman - Patrolled half back and racked up possessions at will. What a difference it makes when the opposition midfield are under pressure.

E Hollands - I was really impressed by his two way running. He covered the ground quickly. I thought he was really solid. I couldn't figure his role out, I will need to watch again. Half forward +1 role?

O Hollands - He covered the ground well and made a lot of contests where he impacted pretty well. Really liked his game.

Walsh - He did all he had to. He's been doing the bulk of the chasing and defensive efforts in there. Some are mistaking it for lack of form. I think he's spending more energy chasing opposition and less hunting the footy.

Kennedy - He was really good and gave us plenty as a forward and a mid.

Pittonet - He dominated them. Really really dominated them.

Acres - What role did he play? A little forward and a little back and wing? He was pretty good.

Cowan - He was great. He's a talented player. He's going to be a really good one when he finishes developing.

Binns - Pretty impressive. Took a while to get into it. Fair enough considering he hasn't played with these guys or this level. Got better as the game went on and his game was impressive. Plenty of the footy. used it well. Was still running at the end of the game. No issues with his tackling either.

Young - He was not under much pressure and he played well at full back. I think if we can keep he and Weitering on seperate lines it will work.

Weitering - Played CHB and was really good. Perhaps this is how we move forward? Weitering CHB Young FB?

Lord - He impressed me. He looks like an AFL footballer. His ball use, his aggressive handball, was all great to see. It's probably time to try and push his development at this level.

Durdin - He was outstanding until his shoulder went. It was back to his 2022 form. If we can just get him going he will be a player for us. But two seasons of poor football and injuries have not helped.

Cincotta - Mr reliable. He was great back in defence. Strong, skilled and hard at it.

Carroll - I am super super impressed with his half back game. Gee he was good. His reading of the game, speed and ball use was really exceptional. Not as impressed with his time in the middle or forward. I think he could possible be a bes 22 half back for us.

Kemp - Was impressive at full forward. Tried really hard to bring it to ground. Took some nice marks. To all those who have been asking him to be played forward, this is some great ammo. I'd like to see it with Charlie and Harry Back. His the speed and mobility to be a genuine modern 3rd tall forward.

Owies - He's a little guy who reads the game so well as a tall guy. Played well, presented well, kicked well.

McGovern - Didn't have a lot to do but he was really good with what he did.

Williams - Didn't get it much but what he did was pure class. Ball handling and skills are great up forward for us.

Motlop - He struggled to get into the game. But I thought he tried. I think it will come.

Moir - He came on late. Kicked a freak goal, should have had two. Looked pretty slick, got it a fair bit. Tried to run a few guys down. I am happy with the small sample size I saw.
Love all your posts Bat Man but I hope do dont turn into a Tristan
1724068757565.png

He'd be getting the 3rd penguin each week. So as long as the delivery was decent, also loved his attack on the ball, scored a few goals simply from his pressure, hes quicker than everyone in the fwd line

3rd penguin? lol you know as well as anyone... it's rarely 1v1 any more...

I'll wait and see it in action before assuming he'll be unstoppable.

I would genuinely be surprised if Harry for Petracca had been given any air time inside the club.

Think people are trying to make 2 plus 2 equal 5 off the back of rumours Petracca isn't happy and they both have long contracts in place.

As for Kemp, no idea but it could be worth a try.

Yeah I don't think anyone is seriously believing Petracca will leave, nor will we trade Harry for him...

Kemp as 3rd tall would be a better option than JSOS, def worth a try.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big shoutout to Ollie Hollands. 24 touches at 83% and 7 tackles.

Played his best game for the club. I've been critical of his selection at times but yesterday showed why sometimes persistance pays off with youth.

He's developing beautifully. Reminded me of Kade Simpson in his prime down back yesterday.
He looked like a natural back there didn’t he.

I'm also wondering about Ollie at half back, seemed to work well. Is it a genuine option?
Made space for himself and broke lines for fun. Couple of clangers, couple of things that looked like they were going pairshaped, but worked out great in the end. Is he going to be the new Simmo running the defence in a couple of years.

Vote for Ashton GOTY …

I thought that Owies tumbler was better than either of Naicos or Shultz’s. They’re goals you see a couple of times a game. Should have been Charlie Cameron, Moir, and that little guy from GWS in the helmet. They were all much better goals.

Watched the replay last night and it reinforced a couple of things

• Our ball movement looked so much better with a bit of speed and unpredictability although I do think we probably weren't punished by West Coast as much as we could've done against some stronger sides. I still think its the template moving forward.
  • We played into WC's hands with some long bombing at the beginning of the game but we adjusted our kicking inside F50 which looked much cleaner
  • Lord has some elite handballing skills
  • That level of pressure particularly inside F50 needs to be our benchmark from now on.

Made space for himself and broke lines for fun. Couple of clangers, couple of things that looked like they were going pairshaped, but worked out great in the end. Is he going to be the new Simmo running the defence in a couple of years.

Certainly potential there, he's actually a very good spoiler for his size/weight, good in tight, tank not an issue and I think his supposed bad kicking is overblown, not worlds greatest but not shit either.

Saad will obviously come back in but Cin is now a jack of all trades, Zac should stay forward so Boyd would be the direct competition along with Billy W further down the track.

Watched the replay last night and it reinforced a couple of things

• Our ball movement looked so much better with a bit of speed and unpredictability although I do think we probably weren't punished by West Coast as much as we could've done against some stronger sides. I still think its the template moving forward.
  • We played into WC's hands with some long bombing at the beginning of the game but we adjusted our kicking inside F50 which looked much cleaner
  • Lord has some elite handballing skills
  • That level of pressure particularly inside F50 needs to be our benchmark from now on.

Lord went down and dirty many times allowing Cripps to be first receiver

It was awesome to see him spread with the ball from contests because he actually has the strength to break a tackle and get clean possession away.

Lord went down and dirty many times allowing Cripps to be first receiver

It was awesome to see him spread with the ball from contests because he actually has the strength to break a tackle and get clean possession away.

Feels like with a little more time Lord will become what we always wanted Dow to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Round 23 Wounded Blues Soar Back Into The 8

Back