Preview 2023 Semi Final - Carlton vs Melbourne Friday 15th September 7.50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Kennedy
OUT: Jack Martin (suspension), Harry McKay (concussion)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsMatthew Cottrell
Half-forwards:Sam DochertyTom De KoningMatthew Owies
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:David CuninghamGeorge HewettMatthew Kennedy
Caleb Marchbank
Emergencies:Paddy DowSam DurdinZac Fisher
Ollie Hollands

How would Jsos be more of a risk than Kennedy.
Kennedy has not played senior footy for 2 months, Jsos is ready to play we are losing two forwards so need someone to provide a option, Kennedy is a mid fielder not sure they are vying for the same role, if anything we need a Hollands or Dow type as the sub this week in warm conditions.
When did JSOS last play (before getting injured agaqin in the 2s)?

From what I gather he's barely been training and didn't play the scratch match last Saturday...

I was suggesting Kennedy play forward, with cameos through the guts.

i didn't say slow, thoughtless deep entries!

And it goes without saying that TDK needs to be told (again) to keep clear of Charlie....

We're a bit past U10s style footy, no?
Yes, but i cant get the images of us kicking it down Darcy Moore's throat all night when we played Collingwood in round 10.. The key difference IMO since then has been Jack Martin, his forward smarts, speed and ability to mark and convert has given our mids another option to kick to. I think he will be a massive loss and I dont think anyone else can play that role, maybe Cunners but am not convinced.

Gov has been pretty ordinary since returning. Might be best for player and club to replace him back there with another runner. Definitely a confidence player - hopefully it comes back for him this week. We need it.

This….his fitness and form have dipped massively since he came back from injury…

Let’s face it Marchy is basically there to cover Govs lack of from and confidence in his body……

Personally think he could be a handy defensive forward and keep Lever honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did JSOS last play (before getting injured agaqin in the 2s)?

From what I gather he's barely been training and didn't play the scratch match last Saturday...

I was suggesting Kennedy play forward, with cameos through the guts.
Jsos has been building up to full fitness for a few weeks now and will be available to play, not sure Kennedy has shown alot as a third forward option in the past to prefer him over Jack in this role.

Jack is capable of taking some of the heat away from Charlie, l don't see Kennedy playing this role, particularly when TDK is rucking we need a secondary capable forward.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but holy s*** Acres is tough. Can hardly move his left arm yet goes back with the flight, stands under the ball and cops a whack. Gets up and goes again.

Amazing mental strength.
Blake Acres = Future Third

We've made some absolute clangers throughout the years - but on this one (and the NN-F4th) we absolutely nailed it.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but holy s*** Acres is tough. Can hardly move his left arm yet goes back with the flight, stands under the ball and cops a whack. Gets up and goes again.

Amazing mental strength.

Thank you Freo and also thank you for Cerra!

I really like Max Gawn as a player, but when you cross that line accidents can happen.

I would be extremely upset if we give any of their players a get out of jail tackle.
I would be extremely disappointed if Pitto didnt land on Max's toe after the opening centre bounce.

Whilst the potential loss of Martin will be huge I think JSOS will be a pretty important in.

Prior to his secondment to back up ruck, he played the role of connector up field and was vital to our ball movement for a couple of seasons there, I'd get him and TDK across that half forward line and leave Charlie deep.

Jessie is also the other obvious pick, I was surprised he wasn't in the 22 and thought our forward mix lacked something Friday.

It'll be really interesting to see how we attack this game, I loved that the players ran out with smiles on their faces and embraced the moment but they did get a little toey for periods, but now we've got that finals win under our belt I expect them to really take the game on with confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dees looking for excuses already with these reports of Gawn & Oliver having 'soreness'. Most clubs would have hidden these issues especially if they were still going to play, makes me wonder why they would release this information to the journo fleas.

Don't think they have released anything have they? Goodwin played a straight bat today saying 'they won't be making public their medical report'. To be fair, i didn't hear that they were looking for excuses. To the contrary.

Can't really stop a journo from sniffing out news and reporting it...bit like Cripps and his ribs

Last edited:
Jsos has been building up to full fitness for a few weeks now and will be available to play, not sure Kennedy has shown alot as a third forward option in the past to prefer him over Jack in this role.

Jack is capable of taking some of the heat away from Charlie, l don't see Kennedy playing this role, particularly when TDK is rucking we need a secondary capable forward.
If JSOS is fully fit, 100% agree.

I heard through the podiatry grapevine before we last played Melbourne that Gawn had a foot problem. Its not new. And it didn't slow him down last week. So don't get your hopes up he will be down on form, if the way he played last week is anything to go by...

EDIT : strange that this has been released into the media circles this week. I hope we aren't being sucked into playing one ruck given how well our combo went against him last time..

Last edited:
Surely with the players Melbourne have out one of our tall defenders goes out for match up reason Fisher or Boyd to come in

It was an incredible experience last weeks game, the day, the lead up, the game itself exciting and nerve-racking, the crowd and atmosphere was bloody electric then to come out with a win was such a relief but amazing…

From the game last week thought we lacked a bit run and overlap throughout the game at times particularly in the second half, our back half didn’t provide this much at all whether kicking out or through defensive or general play…

With our kick ins we reverted back to mainly kicking out wide and then going down the boundary line to a contested scenario, would have liked to see us spread offering some better options with the available space on offer keeping possession of the ball then create from there, Swans set up well on most occasions while we needed to be a little more proactive…

Clearly we were the better team for 2 and a half quarters but as the game went further in the second half the Swans were able to create their chances by their run and ball movement, some poor decisions & turnovers from us at stages certainly cost us easy goals as well…

I’d like to see a bit more run, speed and zip added to the team this week, Harry and Martin are unfortunately big outs and I’m not sure bringing in either Silvagni and Kennedy who have missed 2 months of footy is the right way to go for such an important cut throat final…

Imo we’re a little top heavy down back and lacking with rebounding run, McGovern certainly looks like the player we could use back up forward for this week, he can help Charlie and at times TDK balance the front half out, his also the type of player who would be a concern for opposition back lines, we could play him deep and rotate with Charlie if need be…

Motlop comes in as the creative goal kicking forward, Hollands for his gut running and creative linking up and Dow as sub for another midfield player with a difference to the others in the side…

Warm weather all week, 24/14 on game day…

INS : Motlop Hollands Dow (sub)
OUT : McKay Martin

Newman Weitering Kemp
Saad Marchbank Cincotta
Acres Walsh Cottrell
Cunners DeKoning Motlop
McGovern Charlie Owies

Pittonet Cripps Cerra

Hewett Hollands Fogarty Docherty

SUB: Dow

Last edited:
Harry out - We don't 100% have to replace with a like player.

I would send TDK forward more and allow Pittonet to ruck more.

I'd almost consider moving Hollands back into the team for extra run late game and Motlop into the starting 22.
Then Dow as a potential sub makes sense to me.

Harry -> Hollands
Martin -> Motlop

Dow as the sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back