Preview 2023 Semi Final - Carlton vs Melbourne Friday 15th September 7.50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Kennedy
OUT: Jack Martin (suspension), Harry McKay (concussion)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsMatthew Cottrell
Half-forwards:Sam DochertyTom De KoningMatthew Owies
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:David CuninghamGeorge HewettMatthew Kennedy
Caleb Marchbank
Emergencies:Paddy DowSam DurdinZac Fisher
Ollie Hollands

ONE. MORE. SLEEP.
Fun Love GIF by FEI Global

accidentally listening to brereton on guessen - he came on specifically to speak of the 2 upcoming games with dwayne russell - spoke for 5 or 6 minutes - not.one.word.on.carlton..............usually I want him to stfu - perhaps he heard me? not - one - word..............let me say, I'm not shocked, but I am very, very, surprised............

If you’re taking out insurance- id be taking insurance on Crippa - as much as we think about stepping on Gawns toe they will be thinking of crunching Crippa ribs
Diy Flex GIF by J-B Weld

I think it was the opposite TBH. I thought Marchbank could've stayed put and easily taken the mark but he started running with the flight obviously looking to attack straight away. I don't mind that at all but he needs better awareness.
It was 50/50 for mine. Marchy thought that Newman had put him into space. These things happen. As long as they don't repeatedly happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone have tickets for sale?

Post it in the Carlton Finals Hub thread.

From memory Kennedy usually has quite low TOG% compared to the rest of the team and that doesn’t take into account him coming back from injury after missing so much time. He’ll obviously be spending the majority of the game up forward but I hope this doesn’t affect our rotations too much.

Otherwise, Cotters may need to have 125% TOG to cover.

I guess :huh:

Still a massive worry imo, can see Melbourne just sitting 2 blokes on Charlie and making someone else beat them, not convinced that Kennedy is gonna do that. It never really seems to work when he's played anywhere but midfield.

Massive game for Mots and Owies, we need 2-3 goals out of both of them to be any chance imo.
When McKay went off last week, Charlie played much higher.
Evidence would say it didn't really work but they will have learned from that - expect to see more sideways ball movement and TDK being proactive in coming towards the ball if Charlie is playing higher.
Will Melbourne commit to have Lever/May follow Charlie up the ground? That would definitely upset their preferred defensive set up and create opportunities for forwards like TDK and Kennedy.

Kennedy as an in is a no brainer.. rotate him with Cripps forward if Cripps needs a stint. Left field idea with Boyd as defensive forward?

Ins will be Kennedy, Motlop… Dow as sub
This got me thinking. Maybe mad conspiracy theorist but..

Last week Voss pulled something out that we haven't done all season, clearly saving it for finals - Jack Martin dropping back. Did it before Curnow went back, which we showed vs GC. (Fwiw I personally wasn't surprised by Martin doing well back, I was surprised we did it, but not the outcome. I've said on here many times that he was more used as an intercepting player than he was as a forward for the Suns and since joining we've played him nearly exclusively forward. So it was good he could remind everyone of his value as an interceptor.)

Last yr Cripps won the Brownlow playing as the modern centre forward, this year has barely sniffed goals inside 50. I wonder if he pulls another one out of the locker with Cripps inside 50. Perhaps not all game but perhaps as a Centre Forward ala last yr.. Would mess up their on ball matchups as they would likely be planning on Oliver v Cripps across the ground as they seem to do every game.

Interested to see how Kennedy goes. I've always though he was made for finals - genuine old school footballer that loves tough contested footy, is smart and strong over the ball and overhead and a great kick.

Never thought he would be lining up as a forward - think he either gets a specific role in the forward line or he rotates through forward/mid with Crippa also getting more time forward.

accidentally listening to brereton on guessen - he came on specifically to speak of the 2 upcoming games with dwayne russell - spoke for 5 or 6 minutes - not.one.word.on.carlton..............usually I want him to stfu - perhaps he heard me? not - one - word..............let me say, I'm not shocked, but I am very, very, surprised............
Normally takes him 5 or 6 minutes to finish a sentence so this is progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back