Preview 2023 Semi Final - Carlton vs Melbourne Friday 15th September 7.50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Kennedy
OUT: Jack Martin (suspension), Harry McKay (concussion)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsMatthew Cottrell
Half-forwards:Sam DochertyTom De KoningMatthew Owies
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:David CuninghamGeorge HewettMatthew Kennedy
Caleb Marchbank
Emergencies:Paddy DowSam DurdinZac Fisher
Ollie Hollands

There are injury clouds involving Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, Fritsch... given that Walsh, Cerra and McGovern had some time off, and they're now included - run them off their feet! Will be surprised if we don't pick Motts for this one. It's going to be a warm night too, it's sad JSOS didn't get up but we can't have half-fit players. And no, I do not include Cripps in that group because his ribs are just sore. Doesn't stop him running. But with bruised ribs, they heal slowly so I'm expecting he gets a little bit better week by week.

Thank god we won hey. Might even have had something to do with the swans being close to #1 in punishing teams on turnover with Guilden, Warner etc.

We really had the game under control for most of the night till Harry got injured. I'm sure that we'll try and play differently against the dees to curtail their strengths and exploit their weaknesses.

Strange isn't, reading our board over the last 2 weeks, feels like we either haven't made finals or we will go out without a whimper

Sure, focus on what we need to do to stifle an opposition's strength and exploit their weaknesses

But haven't read much of what we do well and how it will be difficult to play against us, considering our last 3 months

Well... I am concerned. Hadn't realised how heavily I was banking on Silvagni until he was (apparently) ruled out.

Martin is obviously a huge out, not just for his physical stuff, but also his craft. A part of why we won last time was his ability to keep Lever away from important contests at important times. I do think Silvagni has the nous to do that, if not necessarily the same potential to kick multiple goals on an opponent of that calibre. (To use Voss's words, if he's "available", I'd pick him. I'd back him - between the ears - to be "ready". I think he fits our actual need much better than Kennedy.)

I have see'd and saw'd between the alternatives... Kemp or Kennedy as third tall. One had continuity and "match-speed" but disrupts our backline, so I think Kemp forward will be our break-glass move. Kennedy: can he really get dangerous, if Lever chooses to double-team Curnow? Someone has already said it - contested marks while you're resting forward are a completely different kettle of fish to leading patterns as a stay-at-home forward. Hopefully he has trained it, at least a little bit.

I think it is a real worry, how bare the cupboard is when McKay, Martin and Silvagni all miss. Boiled down, we're playing Owies as the hit-up "third tall". That's not necessarily all bad - he understands the role, and is good at finding space - but his output does rather depend on the existence of other viable talls to distract attention...

Anyway. I back the Match Committee, and the side they select. But I am less confident now than at any point this week.

Both Gov and Newman have fluffed a few, bloody frustrating at times

I don’t mind this, as for every dud kick that results in a goal there are five tough kicks that are successful in opening up the ground and switching from defence mode to attack.

It is incredibly frustrating when it happens but I noticed from quarter time Newman was hesitant to take that kick again, which is equally frustrating.

I found Kemp’s blunder to be far worse. The only option there was to rush the ball. He is generally level headed but that is the finals pressure.

Hope Voss and Hamill continue to encourage our backline to take the same risks that got us here in the first place.

And one which involves designated kickers that know what they are doing. Some blokes (like Gov and Marchy) should NEVER take ins.

Depends on the situation, anyone should be allowed to take a kick in if we need to go quick and there is an option.

If we are slowing the play down I would agree. Put it in the hands of your best user, take your 10 seconds, get numbers to one side of the field.

Think you are judging Gov harshly. From full back he is perfectly fine.

What I'm hoping we'll do:

OUT: Martin, McKay, Pittonet
IN: Motlop, Hollands, Dow

Cripps, Dow, Hollands, and Walsh can all spend time up forward. Run and gun.

Kennedy as a forward has never been the sustainable play, and will detract from any impact he might have in the midfield, where Dow is in better form anyway.

Kennedy as a forward has never been the sustainable play, and will detract from any impact he might have in the midfield, where Dow is in better form anyway.
Nah, Pitto is staying in. Must start against Gawn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you want to go into the match with one ruck and only one key forward?? Don't think so.

Last edited:
And who's playing second ruck?
Cripps (general stoppage), Charlie (deep F50 stoppage), Weitering (deep D50 stoppage), McGovern (D50 stoppage), Kemp (break in case of glass).

You're talking about 5 minutes a quarter, and ideally no more than 1 centre bounce. It's the marking power up forward and around the ground that's more of a concern, and Pittonet gives a giant zero there.

Serious question: how the **** am I in the same two arguments every week and none of you seem to remember the answers or figure them out?

Last edited:
Cripps (general stoppage), Charlie (deep F50 stoppage), Weitering (deep D50 stoppage), McGovern (D50 stoppage), Kemp (break in case of glass).

You're talking about 5 minutes a quarter, and ideally no more than 1 centre bounce. It's the marking power up forward and around the ground that's more of a concern, and Pittonet gives a giant zero there.

Serious question: how the * am I in the same two arguments every week and none of you seem to remember the answers or figure them out?
muddypaws-bearak.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back