2nds 2023 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tasker performed at a similar level in 2021 and went to the SANFL to get stuck in reserves

You overrate form at VFL level
Seeing as the VFL salary cap is significantly higher than the QAFL salary cap, and we’re only paying 10 players, it mystifies me that players earn more at QAFL level.

Seeing as the VFL salary cap is significantly higher than the QAFL salary cap, and we’re only paying 10 players, it mystifies me that players earn more at QAFL level.
yeah, but the old mate president that runs a successful carpentry business might make the contract look better by giving them a cashed-up job. :p

but, yes a perk of only having 10 players on the books means that the 110k salary cap only needs to be split across those 10 players and not just match payments for 30 players at other clubs

Tasker performed at a similar level in 2021 and went to the SANFL to get stuck in reserves

You overrate form at VFL level

Tasker had one good game for the Lions in the 2s. When he came back to QAFL, we was largely a 2s player. He was a classic academy kid pushed to higher levels than he belonged.

I'd say the likes of Buzza and Dunkley, with AFL experience, are on much larger deals than the young local kids. I'd also suggest that if you have a brother on the Lions list (Dunkley & Rayner) your VFL contract is significantly higher and was probably involved in the brothers negotiation in some way....

As I understand it, the local VFL players (Barry, Greene, Abberley, Reville, Dersken & Arnold in 2023 and the likes of Triffet previously) get $150 a game and thats it. If they get injured, they are sent back to their local club to rehab as well, no financial or medical help from the Lions

yeah, but the old mate president that runs a successful carpentry business might make the contract look better by giving them a cashed-up job. :p

Just doesn't happen.

But the very very best QAFL guys get upwards of $750 a game at the big spending clubs like Aspley, Grange and more recently Morningside with Robinson who is rumoured to be getting $1500+ and Sherwood, Mt Gravatt and Redland would undoubtedly be paying at least a handful of guys $500+.

Compared to $150 a game, with double the commitment, you ar eonly playing VFL if its to 'keep the dream alive' and the Lions is probably not the place for that dream given the history.

I'd say the likes of Buzza and Dunkley, with AFL experience, are on much larger deals than the young local kids. I'd also suggest that if you have a brother on the Lions list (Dunkley & Rayner) your VFL contract is significantly higher and was probably involved in the brothers negotiation in some way....

As I understand it, the local VFL players (Barry, Greene, Abberley, Reville, Dersken & Arnold in 2023 and the likes of Triffet previously) get $150 a game and thats it. If they get injured, they are sent back to their local club to rehab as well, no financial or medical help from the Lions

Just doesn't happen.

But the very very best QAFL guys get upwards of $750 a game at the big spending clubs like Aspley, Grange and more recently Morningside with Robinson who is rumoured to be getting $1500+ and Sherwood, Mt Gravatt and Redland would undoubtedly be paying at least a handful of guys $500+.

Compared to $150 a game, with double the commitment, you ar eonly playing VFL if its to 'keep the dream alive' and the Lions is probably not the place for that dream given the history.
The Brisbane Lions definitely help the VFL players financially and medically, all VFL clubs do but Yeah, another solid point. QAFL clubs can pay a shit ton to their top-tier AFL players while only paying $50 to their shit-tier juniors to even out the cap of 60k or whatever it is down there.

The Brisbane Lions definitely help the VFL players financially and medically, all VFL clubs do but Yeah, another solid point. QAFL clubs can pay a s**t ton to their top-tier AFL players while only paying $50 to their s**t-tier juniors to even out the cap of 60k or whatever it is down there.

Are you sure? I've heard that they categorically don't.

Cap is $80k, and local juniors playing QAFL footy are not 'shit tier' - they are the lifeblood of our national game.

Are you sure? I've heard that they categorically don't.
I know they do the VFL program differently at Brisbane but they would be the only VFL club that doesn't and would be pretty disgusting if they didn't rehab them when they have AFL physiotherapists on hand at trainings already.

Borderline players between the VFL level and the AFL have always had it tough - nothing new. The next level being a lower ranked VFL player is even harder, but they just have to chose what makes them happy (friendship, convenience, money, ambition etc).

to keep that dream alive. If you harbour a burning desire to make it on an AFL list, then you're closer to it playing Reserves for an AFL club than you are anywhere else, even at the Lions.

Most of them would probably play for free, they are there to try and make their dreams come true and the Lions (and no doubt other clubs) are prepared to tell them its possible to get them in the door each week.

Looking around though, I can't think of a single time a Lions 2's player was elevated to the list in subsequent seasons on the back of strong form?

to keep that dream alive. If you harbour a burning desire to make it on an AFL list, then you're closer to it playing Reserves for an AFL club than you are anywhere else, even at the Lions.

Most of them would probably play for free, they are there to try and make their dreams come true and the Lions (and no doubt other clubs) are prepared to tell them its possible to get them in the door each week.

Looking around though, I can't think of a single time a Lions 2's player was elevated to the list in subsequent seasons on the back of strong form?

Keidean Coleman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kiddy Coleman spent a year in the NEAFL as an overager and was put on the list the following year.

How many players have recently been recruited from the state leagues without AFL experience and done anything significant?

Few small forwards and small backs have been

Not sure Kiddy Coleman is a good example.
I think someone playing Lions VFL as a 20 + year old showing very good VFL form over 1-2 years would be a better example.
I can't think of anyone but their maybe.

I think it's a fine example. Was not drafted, played neafl with us and found form and played well enough that many on here commented he'd have debuted that year if he were on a list.

many more mature age recruits have been quite successful across the journey. Guys like Liam Picken who spent a few years with Collingwood, then the Dogs and got elevated and just kept on delivering.

Harry Taylor, Brian Lake, James Podsiadly(!), Michael Hibberd, Matt PRiddis, Matty Boyd, Sam Mitchell, Tom Stewart, Tim Kelly, Adam Saad, Mitch McGovern, Isaac Smith, Kane Lambert, Brody Mihocek, Hayden Ballantyne, Jack Hayes, Ben Hudson, Dale Morris, Dane Rampe, Tom Papley, Dayne Zorko....

There are so many examples, these just come off the top of my head (and yes, some of them were ages ago)

I think it's a fine example. Was not drafted, played neafl with us and found form and played well enough that many on here commented he'd have debuted that year if he were on a list.
yes, its a good example.

many more mature age recruits have been quite successful across the journey. Guys like Liam Picken who spent a few years with Collingwood, then the Dogs and got elevated and just kept on delivering.

Harry Taylor, Brian Lake, James Podsiadly(!), Michael Hibberd, Matt PRiddis, Matty Boyd, Sam Mitchell, Tom Stewart, Tim Kelly, Adam Saad, Mitch McGovern, Isaac Smith, Kane Lambert, Brody Mihocek, Hayden Ballantyne, Jack Hayes, Ben Hudson, Dale Morris, Dane Rampe, Tom Papley, Dayne Zorko....

There are so many examples, these just come off the top of my head (and yes, some of them were ages ago)

Haha. 3 in the last 10 years. Yeah we've really dropped the ball

I'm saying 3 total. In the AFL

1 you didn't mention for us is Oscar. Not local but a good mature age pick
Three total? If you count Oscar, Fort and Coleman that's at least three at our club. Answerth was technically a mature age pick but feels a bit sus because he played TAC in his overage year. Witts, Holman, Casboult (over the decade) and Collins are all getting regularly games down the road. GWS has Kennedy, Lloyd and Preuss (plus a few more that aren't best 22). I don't know Sydney's totals right now - and that's just the northern states without a top level state league to pick the eyes out until recently.

I'm saying 3 total. In the AFL

1 you didn't mention for us is Oscar. Not local but a good mature age pick

oh, I did no research - they were just off the top of my head, I'm probably just showing my age - there would be heaps I haven't mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back