2nds 2023 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three total? If you count Oscar, Fort and Coleman that's at least three at our club. Answerth was technically a mature age pick but feels a bit sus because he played TAC in his overage year. Witts, Holman, Casboult (over the decade) and Collins are all getting regularly games down the road. GWS has Kennedy, Lloyd and Preuss (plus a few more that aren't best 22). I don't know Sydney's totals right now - and that's just the northern states without a top level state league to pick the eyes out until recently.

The discussion is around state level form getting you on an AFL list.

Also, no extenuating circumstances like McCartins concussions and Stengles partying

Three total? If you count Oscar, Fort and Coleman that's at least three at our club. Answerth was technically a mature age pick but feels a bit sus because he played TAC in his overage year. Witts, Holman, Casboult (over the decade) and Collins are all getting regularly games down the road. GWS has Kennedy, Lloyd and Preuss (plus a few more that aren't best 22). I don't know Sydney's totals right now - and that's just the northern states without a top level state league to pick the eyes out until recently.
I thought the discussion was about playing in the Lions VFL and prior to that the Lions NEAFL. Also, playing well over a period of time and being overlooked.
So that leaves only Coleman. But he was an academy player and got selected in his 2nd year at the draft.
Clubs tend to give preference over academy players.
Technically Coleman makes the list but i still don't think he is a good example.

I thought the discussion was about playing in the Lions VFL and prior to that the Lions NEAFL. Also, playing well over a period of time and being overlooked.
So that leaves only Coleman. But he was an academy player and got selected in his 2nd year at the draft.
Clubs tend to give preference over academy players.
Technically Coleman makes the list but i still don't think he is a good example.
The last couple of posts were spread across the competition as a whole and comparing our hit rate to that.

Jai Newcombe from Hawthorn I think is a great recent example of a VFL player that has adapted really well to AFL. Initially I thought he may have been a Brad Dalzeel clone in that he was a flash in the pan but Newcombe looks every bit the 100plus game player.

True but he'd played 5 VFL games before the Hawks picked him up midyear

Nic Martin a better recent example

True but he'd played 5 VFL games before the Hawks picked him up midyear

Nic Martin a better recent example
Off the top of my head, there’s this bloke at Collingwood, goes by the name Noble.

Almost every year, bar 2020/21 due to covid, there’s 3 or 4 picked up in the national draft.

How could you forget Kalin Lane.

Was playing WAFL before we picked him up in the mid season draft.

Who else?
Tom Stewart out of the VFL.
Darcy Cameron out of the WAFL.
Willie Rioli out of the SANFL
Luke Ryan out of the WAFL.

Tim Kelly out of the WAFL.
Liam Ryan out of the WAFL.
Bayley Fritsch out of the VFL.
Oskar Baker out of the NEAFL.
Brodie Mihocek out of the VFL.

I could keep looking…

Since the introduction of the Mid Season Draft, we’ve seen fewer mature agers in the National draft, as the best have been picked up already.

How many mature age QAFL players have kicked on on the AFL over the past twenty years?

lets just call in QLD State League, as its had various forms and names over the years. (not including players drafted in their 18th year)

Zorko, Harbrow, Hudson, Preuss, Oxley, Smith, Sexton, Copeland, Wagner, Chol, Aliir, Himmellberg, Hickey, Ryan, Bell, Spurr, Bail, Gilbert to name a few.

Some have had short sharp careers, some have played 50+ games and played in flags etc.

These guys have all come out of the QAFL or equivalent, or played QAFL, then went to another state in search of opportunity/recognition beyond their draft year. Bolded ones are the ones taken by one of the 2 QLD clubs.....(some wound up here, but only via another AFL club first)

Seeing the conversation has moved a bit
Link to a list of Australian rules footballers from Queensland. Someone may be interested.
From Aker to Zorko & includes ladies. Two pages A-R and R-Z
Will Ashcroft is listed so must be up to date.
Click on the player and see their record like say Jason Dunstall
I noticed he kicked 145 goals 84 behinds and took 199 marks all the best in the league that year.
He averaged only 12.3 kicks per game but kicked 6.3 goals per game over the 23 games.

We've had what 2 years of top ups? With us not taking the first seriously
Kiddy Coleman was miles ahead of Arnold, Greene, Abberley, Reville etc. Even Mitch Cox who got delisted was miles ahead of any local top ups and only lasted a year.

It’s a tough gig a) to be good enough b) to hang in there at VFL Level to get on a list.

I thought Triffet was hard done by with Lions giving Bain from Noosa a gig before him this year both from their Academy/VFL.

Most of the top ups this year not in best 10 players in QAFL let alone giving them an AFL gig.

How could you forget Kalin Lane.
I was only counting those who have actually succeeded so far. I have high hopes for him, but I'm not including random 2nds players because no one was suggesting they weren't getting drafted - just not having much success.

It's a bit weird to condemn our upgrading of top-up players given we've only had the extended VFL list for a couple years. Previously our NEAFL topups were just academy players (overaged in a few cases) rather than specifically recruited.

Sydney might have picked up a couple I think but we're not an outlier amongst the northern teams afaik

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a bit weird to condemn our upgrading of top-up players given we've only had the extended VFL list for a couple years. Previously our NEAFL topups were just academy players (overaged in a few cases) rather than specifically recruited.

Sydney might have picked up a couple I think but we're not an outlier amongst the northern teams afaik
I don’t disagree with your comments that the system is in its infancy but do have some issues as to how it works supporting local QLD kids when we keep getting interstate players into the top up system.

Aside from Buzza who is a returning QLD kid the others new this year are just Victorians or interstate players.

I agree in giving Arnold, Greene, Barry etc an opportunity is good thing for local footy and if your AFL list is as good as they feel then local good kids that have played QAFL Senior Footy should be the target zone.

Then after 2 years and if they haven’t been put on main list then refresh with new kids. Having players like Reville , Abberley that have been there for 5-6 years is only clogging up system for other kids to get opportunities.

It's a balancing act with the top-ups for the Lions. I mean, the core tenet of why the club exists is to win AFL premierships. If they feel the way to do that is to make their VFL team as strong as possible then they will do that how they see fit, whether that's filling the team with locals or imports. I'm sure the club is still experimenting with the right mix, but they've seen what happens when the team is filled with more inexperienced players in the NEAFL.

Being a VFL top-up is not an extension of the Academy. Of course, there is an element of coaching and development, but that's no different to Lachie Neale or Dayne Zorko - these guys are always trying to make themselves better. For the top-ups, they are playing at that level primarily to give themselves as good a chance as possible to make it onto a VFL list. Whether they are able to do it while still living in Brisbane is a bonus for those who elect to di and are given the chance. But the Lions aren't under any obligation to be a de-facto home for former Academy players.

Not sure if it adds anything or not, but provided Cam and Dunks brothers are legitimate VFL players - no reason Dunks brother isnt if he's played AFL games- but perhaps bringing in Cam's brother helps retain Cam in Brisbane and conversely, bringing in Dunks brother actually helped getting him to the club in the first place - so I personally wouldn't be knocking bringing in those two non-QLD boys if it serves both the VFL team and also the AFL team by keeping Cam and getting Dunks - if that was the case. All just a thought.

It's a balancing act with the top-ups for the Lions. I mean, the core tenet of why the club exists is to win AFL premierships. If they feel the way to do that is to make their VFL team as strong as possible then they will do that how they see fit, whether that's filling the team with locals or imports. I'm sure the club is still experimenting with the right mix, but they've seen what happens when the team is filled with more inexperienced players in the NEAFL.

Being a VFL top-up is not an extension of the Academy. Of course, there is an element of coaching and development, but that's no different to Lachie Neale or Dayne Zorko - these guys are always trying to make themselves better. For the top-ups, they are playing at that level primarily to give themselves as good a chance as possible to make it onto a VFL list. Whether they are able to do it while still living in Brisbane is a bonus for those who elect to di and are given the chance. But the Lions aren't under any obligation to be a de-facto home for former Academy players.
I also think that having a strong VFL side has in part allowed us the keep the core of the fringe group together as well.
Nothing worse than playing in a losing side every week.
Keep them all fit and winning builds good culture within the whole list and blokes are less likely to leave for greener pastures.

Then after 2 years and if they haven’t been put on main list then refresh with new kids. Having players like Reville , Abberley that have been there for 5-6 years is only clogging up system for other kids to get opportunities.
Hmmm, I don’t agree with this.

I would want the best available local talent/ex academy kids (who are willing to play) on the VFL top up list.

I won’t pretend to know who the best available players are, but from just watching the academy and Allies games, I’m not sure there have been any better kids to come through recently, than Reville and Abberley, in their positions, who haven’t made it on to a list.

I’m happy for players to remain on the VFL list, if there aren’t better younger players available.

FoVPEbfaIAEIURq

Brisbane will start their season by opening Brighton Homes Arena against Werribee on Saturday.

Hmmm, I don’t agree with this.

I would want the best available local talent/ex academy kids (who are willing to play) on the VFL top up list.

I won’t pretend to know who the best available players are, but from just watching the academy and Allies games, I’m not sure there have been any better kids to come through recently, than Reville and Abberley, in their positions, who haven’t made it on to a list.

I’m happy for players to remain on the VFL list, if there aren’t better younger players available.

or better ones that are willing.

the best ones definitely aren't playing VFL

I must have read the same reports, he was talked up big time, apparently has a lot of mongrel about him.
Know a fair bit about Lachie and he will struggle at VFL level. Great bloke and will be terrific around the group but his skills are mid tier QAFL at best.

Have any of you seen him in intra club games?

Know a fair bit about Lachie and he will struggle at VFL level. Great bloke and will be terrific around the group but his skills are mid tier QAFL at best.

Have any of you seen him in intra club games?
Yeah, Lockie struggled to find game time at a struggling Essendon last year and in the two games he did play he didn't do a lot. It was definitely more of a namesake pickup and will probably get games in that way as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back