Opinion 2024-25 off-season and wish ist.

Remove this Banner Ad

My Tigers supporting nephew tells me we should get Emma Murray in asap, i know vaguely of her as some kind of sports psychologist, anyone know much else about her track record ?
Listened to a few podcasts with her on it, she’s a gem.

I'm generally against thrusting it on him at 20 but the season genuinely went to complete shit the moment he got injured three weeks ago; everyone gave up after he left the side. Pathetic from the team, but says a lot about his influence - much more than the lip service that Simpkin and McDonald receive.
If we gave him the right support, he would manage the pressure.

He is kind of a Bradman. A bit of a freak skill wise. I would just hope he didn't become a captain like Bradman.

My Tigers supporting nephew tells me we should get Emma Murray in asap, i know vaguely of her as some kind of sports psychologist, anyone know much else about her track record ?
Turned the Tigers around in 2016/17

McKercher will need to add a lot of muscle to solidfy himself in our midfield.
I think this is true if he is a typical centre square mid. He doesn't have to be. McKercher's strength is in transition, which is where we should be using him, he doesn't need to bashing into blokes at centre bounces. We can send Simpkin, Zurhaar or Curtis in for those. Geelong have been doing this with their midfield. They play Danger, Stewart and Atkins at centre bounces, after which Danger goes forward and Stewart goes back and Atkins stays mid, sometimes tagging. Holmes, Bowes and Bruhn play as mids and do the hard running in transition, but they rarely do the centre bounces. They use players in roles that suit their strengths, we should too.

I’ve been dwelling on how to write this, and where to write this for 24 hours.

But the first thing I think needs to be acknowledged is that the NMFC is at crisis point.

2025 requires definitive improvement or the death spiral we are currently in will be terminal.

Speaking to my brother, a life long supporter, he’s not renewing for season 2025. Normally this attitude would annoy me, but I totally get it.

As he put it, if the club don’t care, why should I?

So to start with, I’d like an acknowledgement from the club about how 2025 could be the most important season in the club’s history. Or as important as all the other seasons we have staved off execution.

Clarko says “we’ve seen clubs spend a few years at the bottom and rise back up and win a flag”

NO

We have seen the NMFC produce the worst 5 seasons in afl history and maybe vfl history as well.

It’s not business as usual. It’s not “she’ll be right mate”, it’s not we’ll be great in the future.

It’s now. It’s crisis point now.

Sonja, can the club survive with 20k members dropping off? With Mazda dropping off. With young players asking for a trade?

So first step, acknowledge how important reasonable improvement is for next year.

Step 2, enforce standards for improvement.

If you aren’t gagging to be part of the solution, **** right off. We saw from the west coast to west coast games, mostly good intensity, mostly stark improvement across pressure, statistical performance and subsequently results.

Each player needs a set of non negotiable statistical benchmarks. You don’t hit those, you play vfl. Exceptions can be made after match committee and the leadership group discussions, but by and large you don’t tackle enough, you’re out. You don’t present 5 leads at the ball carrier, you play vfl, you commit x turnovers you play vfl. Your disposal efficiency is not over x %, you play vfl.

Doesn’t matter if you’re sheez, ldu, Simpkin or Scott.

Step 3. This might sound like a joke, but I’m serious. I’ve watched many training sessions over the years and walked away holding the vomit back. Mick McGuane watched training and was appalled. Clarkson’s response was she’ll be right.

As hawthorn put 170 points on the board, it doesn’t appear that she will be right.

Those that care enough should go down to training and yell and scream when simple passes are missed. If the club won’t enforce standards then maybe it’s up to us supporters. If you can’t handle heckling at training maybe you shouldn’t play professional sport.

I’m not talking personal abuse. I’m talking about supporters booing when a simple pass is missed at training.

Step 4

New leadership. ****. Whoever is leading at the moment isnt doing a good enough job. The results of the worst football club performance in the history of afl might be all the indication we need. But when you factor in the total lack of standards that seem to be the norm at the club, leadership across all levels, all demographics has failed.

Leadership for 2025 should be solely based on who is pushing the club to improve the most. Who displays the standards needed for improvement should be rewarded with leadership.

This must be solely a coach decision, backed up with specific data on reasoning. The players have shown they can’t be trusted.

Summary

Jason Dusntall 10 mins into North vs Tigers round 21 2024

“There is just no care, no desperation, no desire to dispose of the ball with cleanliness”

This can’t continue.

Step 1 - acknowledge the crisis facing the NMFC

Step 2 - define what success looks
Like for the team and individually in 2025. Individuals that can’t hit their markers are automatically dropped to the vfl.

Step 3 - owners of the club to apply pressure at training until we are satisfied the club can train and actually improve.

Step 4 - dump all leaders and re work process for new leadership group selected by coaches under the proviso of step 2 above.

But the first thing I think needs to be acknowledged is that the NMFC is at crisis point.

2025 requires definitive improvement or the death spiral we are currently in will be terminal.

Speaking to my brother, a life long supporter, he’s not renewing for season 2025. Normally this attitude would annoy me, but I totally get it.

So to start with, I’d like an acknowledgement from the club about how 2025 could be the most important season in the club’s history. Or as important as all the other seasons we have staved off execution.

Clarko says “we’ve seen clubs spend a few years at the bottom and rise back up and win a flag”

NO

We have seen the NMFC produce the worst 5 seasons in afl history and maybe vfl history as well.

It’s not business as usual. It’s not “she’ll be right mate”, it’s not we’ll be great in the future.

Sonja, can the club survive with 20k members dropping off? With Mazda dropping off. With young players asking for a trade?

So first step, acknowledge how important reasonable improvement is for next year.

If you aren’t gagging to be part of the solution, **** right off. We saw from the west coast to west coast games, mostly good intensity, mostly stark improvement across pressure, statistical performance and subsequently results.

Each player needs a set of non negotiable statistical benchmarks. You don’t hit those, you play vfl. Exceptions can be made after match committee and the leadership group discussions, but by and large you don’t tackle enough, you’re out. You don’t present 5 leads at the ball carrier, you play vfl, you commit x turnovers you play vfl. Your disposal efficiency is not over x %, you play vfl.

Step 3. This might sound like a joke, but I’m serious. I’ve watched many training sessions over the years and walked away holding the vomit back. Mick McGuane watched training and was appalled. Clarkson’s response was she’ll be right.

As hawthorn put 170 points on the board, it doesn’t appear that she will be right.

Those that care enough should go down to training and yell and scream when simple passes are missed. If the club won’t enforce standards then maybe it’s up to us supporters. If you can’t handle heckling at training maybe you shouldn’t play professional sport.

I’m not talking personal abuse. I’m talking about supporters booing when a simple pass is missed at training.

Step 4

New leadership. ****. Whoever is leading at the moment isnt doing a good enough job. The results of the worst football club performance in the history of afl might be all the indication we need. But when you factor in the total lack of standards that seem to be the norm at the club, leadership across all levels, all demographics has failed.

Leadership for 2025 should be solely based on who is pushing the club to improve the most. Who displays the standards needed for improvement should be rewarded with leadership.

This must be solely a coach decision, backed up with specific data on reasoning. The players have shown they can’t be trusted.

Summary

“There is just no care, no desperation, no desire to dispose of the ball with cleanliness”

This can’t continue.

Like for the team and individually in 2025. Individuals that can’t hit their markers are automatically dropped to the vfl.

Step 3 - owners of the club to apply pressure at training until we are satisfied the club can train and actually improve.

Step 4 - dump all leaders and re work process for new leadership group selected by coaches under the proviso of step 2 above.
62yrs plus member here. I won't drop off but this year is probably the year I hurt most being a NMFC supporter. And I reckon most of us hurt more than the players and officials. No leadership, no accountability for poor footy, no improvement in skills and finally the coach says our boys dropped their bundles after the West Coke loss. One of the most extraordinary statements by a coach in my entire membership years. I hear you the big lebowski I hear you. Enough is enough. This shame must stop.

62yrs plus member here. I won't drop off but this year is probably the year I hurt most being a NMFC supporter. And I reckon most of us hurt more than the players and officials. No leadership, no accountability for poor footy, no improvement in skills and finally the coach says our boys dropped their bundles after the West Coke loss. One of the most extraordinary statements by a coach in my entire membership years. I hear you the big lebowski I hear you. Enough is enough. This shame must stop.

Sweet. Let’s get a group for day 1 of preseason.

Let’s make shit productively uncomfortable

I would like to hear from Jy how he has improved as a leader over the past two years. Specifically how it has shown improvement to areas involving team development and not personal.
Would absolutely love to hear his take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not randomly. When a simple pass is missed. Or a mark dropped. Etc.

Or we do nothing and don’t complain about training standards haven’t improved for a decade and there is no longer a NMFC

Look, if you think it’s going to help, get down there and boo away. What would I know?

Booing and jeering isn’t something I do.

Not randomly. When a simple pass is missed. Or a mark dropped. Etc.

Or we do nothing and don’t complain about training standards haven’t improved for a decade and there is no longer a NMFC
An interesting exercise could be to take stats and present them to the club and publish for all to see.

Turnovers
Dropped marks
Missed tackles
Pulling up short of the cones
No second efforts
No shepherd after disposal (maybe this is to old school as no one even does it in a game anymore?)
Fumbles
Missed goals

After working for 5 years trying to get health workers to care about patients more, you know what psychological/emotional trigger worked best..... Shame.

Shame from your peers is the biggest driver intrinsically for wanting to do things to improve.

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

An interesting exercise could be to take stats and present them to the club and publish for all to see.

Turnovers
Dropped marks
Missed tackles
Pulling up short of the cones
No second efforts
No shepherd after disposal (maybe this is to old school as no one even does it in a game anymore?)
Fumbles
Missed goals

After working for 5 years trying to get health workers to care about patients more, you know what psychological/emotional trigger worked best..... Shame.

Shame from your peers is the biggest driver intrinsically for wanting to do things to improve.

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Now we’re talking

I would like the club to have a traditional smoking ceremony with the entire club present including the members. We need a cleanse. We might not be cursed but we sure as hell ain’t blessed. We need fresh air both players and supporters. We are all in this together. We should do this immediately before trade and draft period starts.

the big lebowski step 3, it’s hard enough to fulfil the duty that it’s become to go to games.

I’m not sure I could move my life around to go to training anything remotely consistently.

What’s more if we had poor losses I dare say I’d be asked not to come back if I attended training and gave the shit from the outer.

What I will say though is I believe we are headed to a moment where a fan loses it near the race after a poor loss.

Look, if you think it’s going to help, get down there and boo away. What would I know?

Booing and jeering isn’t something I do.

All im saying is that for so long I’ve attended preseason training and we have trained exactly like we’ve trained
  • shit
  • and like we didn’t care that we trained shit

I’d love to continue to believe that the coaches would rectify that. Apparently it hasn’t been rectified.

the big lebowski step 3, it’s hard enough to fulfil the duty that it’s become to go to games.

I’m not sure I could move my life around to go to training anything remotely consistently.

What’s more if we had poor losses I dare say I’d be asked not to come back if I attended training and gave the shit from the outer.

What I will say though is I believe we are headed to a moment where a fan loses it near the race after a poor loss.

Again im just talking pre season.

But I hear you

How about getting some new, astute, talent spotters on the payroll, there may even be some candidates here in our own backyard at BigFooty North board.

I believe that the club plays a few things wrong and one of them is what members actually want out of the club.

That is to feel like we are part of it.

There is next to nothing stopping the club from seeking volunteers from its supporter base, then training them on what they are looking for and then sending them out into local and junior footy.

There is nothing stopping them from asking the supporter base to volunteer for any number of things.

People would do it, people would put their hands up for opportunities to help.

It is an under used resource, I mean it wouldn't make us money, but it would likely augment our resources.

All im saying is that for so long I’ve attended preseason training and we have trained exactly like we’ve trained
  • shit
  • and like we didn’t care that we trained shit

I’d love to continue to believe that the coaches would rectify that. Apparently it hasn’t been rectified.

Well, I'm warning you, take a packet of throat lozenges....

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

NO

Step 4

Summary

This can’t continue.

I'm not big on booing but I agree with more accountability and more effort to address the current situation.

For NBA fans, it's like when the 76ers did "the process" and we're open about intentionally losing to get draft picks and also being willing to take bad salary for picks and lose trades in the short term. What they didn't consider in their strategy is that after a certain point the NBA would tell them to get ****ed and force them to make changes.

Clarko can tell us that it's going to be slow but I'm not sure that the supporters or the AFL or the players will sit through 2 more "development" years.

They need to win more games next season, as a higher priority than the rebuild.

That might mean paying Luke Parker and Dan Houston unbelievable salaries that limit the ceiling of the rebuild. But do you know what limits the ceiling even more? The club not existing.

I'm optimistic about the future and the potential that's on the list, but that doesn't mean that everyone is happy to sit and wait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2024-25 off-season and wish ist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back