Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s bizarre. They mentioned multiple times on the broadcast that it had likely passed 40k. Spent a good chunk of time discussing how full the place was.
I was there (my partner is a Hawks supporter) and it looked like only the odd seat was empty here or there.

I would have expected it to get around 37-38k rather than the 33k.

It seems bizarre for the commentators to claim it was over 40k when 40k is the stated capacity.

I was there (my partner is a Hawks supporter) and it looked like only the odd seat was empty here or there.

It seems bizarre for the commentators to claim it was over 40k when 40k is the stated capacity.
I remember several years ago for a gws game in Canberra the initial reported attendance was lower than it looked. The club asked for a review and it came out a couple of thousand more than was first reported.

If the Geelong club questioned last nights attendance it could be reviewed.

Hoping for 25k at the G today but feel that’s a bit optimistic. Haven’t played the Eagles at the G since 2014 so there really isn’t much history to go off.

Last two crowds we’ve had against Fremantle have been 29K but the club wasn’t in a hole at those points.

The crowds have been disappointing this round, pretty much every one under what I expected. This typically happens at this time of year when the weather is really cold, but it's kids go free round, which I thought last year resulted in a boost in numbers.

The crowds have been disappointing this round, pretty much every one under what I expected. This typically happens at this time of year when the weather is really cold, but it's kids go free round, which I thought last year resulted in a boost in numbers.
None of the matchups this round have screamed must watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they can only fit in 33k for a sold out game v their biggest rival something is wrong. And the should have worked out a way to make the playing field an actual oval when they were rebuilding. Games there are terrible to watch. And if the Cats expect us to play Easter Monday there, then that blockbuster game is dead. I hope we ask for that slot to become Hawthorn v Essendon.

No issue playing in Geelong but I do think last nights crowd would have been primed for 65k at the G, so disappointing to see 33k posted. I was there and not sure where you would fit 7k more people in - big Hawthorn support there as well.

Went back and checked, Dwayne Russell said it was “40,000 odd” twice, and they said they were expecting the biggest crowd since the redevelopment, and bigger than the Saints game. But given its DR, I should’ve taken it with a grain of salt.

This led to a bizarre exchange where they mentioned the all time record was 49,100 and Dunstall asked “well where did they put them all?”

Anywho, I’m seriously doubting that 33k figure. Surely someone at Geelong has made a typo or something.

dave10 and Raz Man what do we think for next Saturday night now.

Essendon winning and Melbourne putting two decent games in a row will help massively. Won’t be as many kids as today but the free tickets will still help. Obviously Saturday night is a bad timeslot for crowds and it looks like it’s going to be properly cold.

Also, three away games at the G for Essendon may mean people don’t want to pay again to attend.

Hoping for 55-60 but think it may be very high 40s.

Essendon winning and Melbourne putting two decent games in a row will help massively. Won’t be as many kids as today but the free tickets will still help. Obviously Saturday night is a bad timeslot for crowds and it looks like it’s going to be properly cold.

Also, three away games at the G for Essendon may mean people don’t want to pay again to attend.

Not to butt in, but I think this game will get between 55 and 65k.

My gut feel is 52-55k at this stage. Early days though.. Weather contingent.

Ticket sales look a bit sluggish but might now accelerate given the Dee’s victory today. MCC members sales slow but it will be 70%+ full you’d think still.

Saturday night isn’t a great slot and as you say, not family friendly. Demons home game has an impact, as you say it’s the third away game running for Bomber fans.

Its early days and if the PR builds around this game it might get more casual goers to go along and the crowd might be strong still.

You’d have to think if this was Saturday 1:45pm or Sunday 1:00pm it’d probably draw 60,000+ comfortably.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back