Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be thinking the Eagles vs Brisbane could crack 50k given it's a chance to say goodbye to Adam Simpson, also some younger players have been introduced, so maybe a chance for the fans to see someone like Trew.

There would also be some fans hoping for the "dead-cat bounce" - e.g. winning the week after a coach is sacked, though I'm not certain how often that happens - and Brisbane should really be too good.

The more I think about tonight it really should be a 60.

Must win in the eyes of both clubs and last week should give both supporters hope.

If the bomber fans aren’t awoken yet, they may just sleep through the ride of a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It should be. However, Essendon games on Saturday night in winter seem to pull very ordinary crowds. Some of the worst interstate crowds have been at Docklands on a Saturday night. There's going to be hardly any rain (if it all) but people will just see showers and not bother. Still you'd think each club could bring 30k, plus a few neutrals, 60k should be a lock, but ticket sales suggest it isn't. I reckon an Essendon home game may have done a bit better. We shall see.

The next crowd of 70k+ will be the 14th for the season - a new record.

This is the 14th AFL game of the year to pass 70,000 in attendance - likely a new record for the AFL - and the 12th highest attendance for the year.

“Likely” a new record? If you don’t trust me, just say so.;)

Anyway, years with double figure amounts of 70k+ crowds:

1720833020313.png

It should be. However, Essendon games on Saturday night in winter seem to pull very ordinary crowds. Some of the worst interstate crowds have been at Docklands on a Saturday night. There's going to be hardly any rain (if it all) but people will just see showers and not bother. Still you'd think each club could bring 30k, plus a few neutrals, 60k should be a lock, but ticket sales suggest it isn't. I reckon an Essendon home game may have done a bit better. We shall see.
No, as is usually the case with Melbourne games at the G, our home game averages against Essendon, Collingwood, and Carlton are higher because when we are away we bring considerably less people than when the big teams are away.

All teams on a Saturday night in Winter pull ordinary MCG crowds. Saturday night is akin to 3:30pm on Sunday imo. Go and look at MCG crowds in middle of winter on Saturday nights… They mostly come in unders. Its been the case for years..

Ticket sales for Hawthorn and Fremantle are atrocious. It should be a good game, cold but clear weather, so very disappointing.

Just for context, last year’s dead rubber in Melbourne. Same time slot, same day, I wonder how many would have gone today to an 8-8 Hawthorn vs a top 4 Fremantle aspirant.

917175A7-25A9-471A-9B7B-EED8347A6A6B.jpeg

Another Launceston game, another game where the AFL lose 20,000 or more in attendance

“Likely” a new record? If you don’t trust me, just say so.;)

Anyway, years with double figure amounts of 70k+ crowds:

View attachment 2046739

Do you think Collingwood’s lose will take the edge off the Hawks v Pies game next week, in the fan friendly 4.35pm Saturday slot?

I guess it'll depend on how the Hawks play today and if they are still a ‘live shot’

Just for context, last year’s dead rubber in Melbourne. Same time slot, same day, I wonder how many would have gone today to an 8-8 Hawthorn vs a top 4 Fremantle aspirant.

View attachment 2046839

Another Launceston game, another game where the AFL lose 20,000 or more in attendance
Still would have got less than the 36k for Hawks/Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next year, and then the Hawks want to play 2 games in Cairns (one vs BL or the Gold Coast apparently)
But Tassie will only start playing in 2028? So presumably Hawthorn will get a 2 year extension to play in Launceston, before they implement their Cairns strategy?

But Tassie will only start playing in 2028? So presumably Hawthorn will get a 2 year extension to play in Launceston, before they implement their Cairns strategy?
Probably, as ridiculous as that strategy turns out to be. For Hawthorn members and WA clubs who will probably be scheduled there instead of at the MCG or Marvel

Probably, as ridiculous as that strategy turns out to be. For Hawthorn members and WA clubs who will probably be scheduled there instead of at the MCG or Marvel
I would have thought that Hawthorn was a big enough club that could play all their home games in Melbourne? I understand why North would need to play in secondary markets after their Hobart deal expires, but hawthorn is far more financially secure, and has more supporters?

Do you think Collingwood’s lose will take the edge off the Hawks v Pies game next week, in the fan friendly 4.35pm Saturday slot?

I guess it'll depend on how the Hawks play today and if they are still a ‘live shot’

It’s dropped massively the last few weeks but with the win today there should be enough home fans for the Hawks and die hard Pies fans to get a decent amount. Won’t be huge though, I should think.

I would have thought that Hawthorn was a big enough club that could play all their home games in Melbourne? I understand why North would need to play in secondary markets after their Hobart deal expires, but hawthorn is far more financially secure, and has more supporters?
Welcome to my last 20 years on Bigfooty!

It’s dropped massively the last few weeks but with the win today there should be enough home fans for the Hawks and die hard Pies fans to get a decent amount. Won’t be huge though, I should think.
Last year drew 62,130 in the same timeslot, Hawthorn are now far, far better (that was probably the floor) but Collingwood softer?

Hawthorn v Collingwood pre Covid was one of the most consistent draws in the AFL

Last edited:
Last year drew 62,130 in the same timeslot, Hawthorn are now far, far better (that was probably the floor) but Collingwood softer?

Hawthorn v Collingwood pre Covid was one of the most consistent draws in the AFL
Could potentially nudge 70k but would say probably 60s, but after 2 home games the last 2 weeks, and 2 home games the next 2 weeks, wouldn't be surprised if there's not as many of us, especially if they keep dishing up what they did last night.

‘Collingwood softer’ with a question mark?

Last year when we played we were the same amount clear on top of the ladder as we are outside of the 8 right now.

That said, I think with the extra home fans it will still top last year.

Could potentially nudge 70k but would say probably 60s, but after 2 home games the last 2 weeks, and 2 home games the next 2 weeks, wouldn't be surprised if there's not as many of us, especially if they keep dishing up what they did last night.

Surely Hawks V Collingwood can beat Collingwood V Geelong?

Sure there may be a softening of Collingwood support, but Hawks should believe they can knock ‘em off based on form.

75K + for me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back