Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Just 19,040 for Richmond vs GWS.

From what I can see this is the first sub-20k crowd for the Tigers since 2010 R18 vs Adelaide. (not counting any covid years)

And the smallest in total at the MCG since 2004 vs Fremantle
Middle of winter, bottom of ladder and hosting GWS. Kind of the perfect storm to ensure a low crowd.

From what I can see this is the first sub-20k crowd for the Tigers since 2010 R18 vs Adelaide. (not counting any covid years)

Think it's actually Richmond 2nd lowest MCG crowd (outside Covid impacted matches) since 1994.

At the end of the day we were talking about tonight game possibly getting 70,000 a few weeks ago.

Basically, everything worked against it being that. Saturday night plus crap weather plus suspect form plus the wallabies playing at the same time across the road.

52.8k was perfectly acceptable and it was a good turnout from both sets of fans who made a good noise.
Yep. Dees are definitely back in town and I hope you & other Dees fans realise this sooner rather than later
That’s an absolute shocker.

Will have both the best and worst crowd of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah not great but I’m not surprised. Bottom of the ladder, playing an expansion club, Cold & wet & No Dusty! Was always going to be below par but 19,000 is definitely “Small VIC Club” territory

Yeah not great but I’m not surprised. Bottom of the ladder, playing an expansion club, Cold & wet & No Dusty! Was always going to be below par but 19,000 is definitely “Small VIC Club” territory
Yep, but as a reminder before people start throwing stones, Every other Melbourne club has a lower home crowd in the last 10 years.

Yep, but as a reminder before people start throwing stones, Every other Melbourne club has a lower home crowd in the last 10 years.
At the MCG for all Melbourne clubs? Obviously with smaller stadiums of years ago this would be the case.

I’m not aware of the Pies drawing less than 20,000? They drew 22-26k on a couple of occasions around 2017 at the MCG.

Excluding the * year of 2016 (Bombers players banned), I can’t remember the last time the Bombers drew sub 20,000 at Marvel for that matter. Maybe in a Covid exit tear perhaps.

Blues did quite often in their down years at Marvel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the MCG for all Melbourne clubs? Obviously with smaller stadiums of years ago this would be the case.

I’m not aware of the Pies drawing less than 20,000? They drew 22-26k on a couple of occasions around 2017 at the MCG.
Pies at Docklands https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2016/042020160820.html 17644

They also have a 20xxx crowd at the MCG vs Fremantle as well.
Excluding the * year of 2016 (Bombers players banned), I can’t remember the last time the Bombers drew sub 20,000 at Marvel for that matter. Maybe in a Covid exit tear perhaps.
Yeah twice in 2016
And a 20xxx vs Port Adelaide in 2022.

regardless of the excuses people make, even when the biggest clubs are at the bottom, supporters get choosey.

Excluding Covid restricted games, both Collingwood and Essendon have never had a lower home crowd at the MCG.

Carlton have had 2, both in late 2005.

The last time Collingwood drew below that at the MCG in an away game was in 1935.

For Essendon, their last MCG away game below today’s crowd was in 1990, which was also a Richmond home game.

Bad crowds do happen for every team, and this was definitely one of them.

Blues did quite often in their down years at Marvel.

Pies drew 20K on a Friday night V Freo in 2016.

I was surprised when I saw the crowd figure at the game thought it looked around 22/23K

Was going to ask manicmagpie when was the last time Richmond had a sub 20K crowd cause I couldn't remember. About 15 years so thanx for answering that.

Last edited:
Think it's actually Richmond 2nd lowest MCG crowd (outside Covid impacted matches) since 1994.

You've answered also. So this is our 2nd sub 20K attendance in 20 years.

Its a tough one, many of us can handle losing if the signs are there but its obvious as day turns to night that the club want that No 1 pick. make of that what you will. Many have now thrown in the towel for this year. Ill keep going rain, hail or shine and be there if we are able to snag a win in the next 6 games.

You've answered also. So this is our 2nd sub 20K attendance in 20 years.

Its a tough one, many of us can handle losing if the signs are there but its obvious as day turns to night that the club want that No 1 pick. make of that what you will. Many have now thrown in the towel for this year. Ill keep going rain, hail or shine and be there if we are able to snag a win in the next 6 games.
Terrible crowds happen, and they most often happen in the years after a dynasty when spoilt supporters realise its finally over.

Today reminded me of the 14,636 the Hawks also drew against the Giants in 2019 (also 4 or 5 years after the final flag), although that was also Mother’s Day which made it even worse.

Richmond attendances will floor and bounce back quickly.

Excluding Covid restricted games, both Collingwood and Essendon have never had a lower home crowd at the MCG.

Carlton have had 2, both in late 2005.

The last time Collingwood drew below that at the MCG in an away game was in 1935.

For Essendon, their last MCG away game below today’s crowd was in 1990, which was also a Richmond home game.

Bad crowds do happen for every team, and this was definitely one of them.

Yeah saw that blues 16K attendances at the G V Port and Freo within 3 weeks of each other.

For tiges no excuses we just had a poor attendance and Hawkk is right to many spoilt supporters think we going to win flags all the time and now being the back end of the season easy for many to just give it a miss.

GR is an extra round so we would only have played the Pies once otherwise.

Essendon and Melbourne played Gather Round in April 2023, and didn’t play each other again until this weekend. So while it’s true that Pies-Hawks in GR is a write off because they play twice, others can miss out on a substantial crowd as a result.

Every game in GR should have a return game, absolutely no idea why it isn’t that way already.

Yeah twice in 2016
And a 20xxx vs Port Adelaide in 2022.

regardless of the excuses people make, even when the biggest clubs are at the bottom, supporters get choosey.

Look, when we’re talking excuses, if Essendon’s three worst home crowds were twice when they fielded a VFL team, and once in a game that got their coach sacked, I’m pretty happy with that. 😉

Richmond’s crowd was a shocker, but they’re 18th playing the smallest team on the Sunday of a wet weekend… not sure what people were expecting? It’s not great, but it’s certainly not the end of the world like some people on Twitter are making it out to be. Everyone has a shit crowd every now and then, they’ll be fine.

And as much as we celebrate the great crowds this year, the reality is that footy is an expensive day out in financially difficult times - people are going to pick and choose more carefully than in the past. If you can get 92k for Dusty300, then I’d happily take that if the trade off is 19k against GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back