Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on Dave theirs some underlying tones in that post. Are you hoping for a 20 sub crowd? Maybe I've misinterpreted it.

Some teams get benefited other ways to bump up overall attendances you play the pies twice. There's a free 80,000+ crowd to the bottom line.

You played the cats at the G as the away team instead of GMHBA Stadium.

Anzac Day you could have zero wins for the year and that game is still likely to be in the vicinity of 85 to 90+ which
helps the bottom line

Anyways mate as much as the big clubs have the big crowds they can also have some shockers which we had on Sunday no hiding that.
I think you misinterpreted my post. I was just pointing out another fixture that would likely get tongues wagging again, as we’ve seen in the media this week.

Of course there’s swings and roundabouts. The fixtures are not equal across the league. Tigers / Blues round one locks this encounter in twice in most cases, like Pies / Bombers. Interestingly, I don’t think the Bombers / Tigers have met twice in a season much the last decade. Although this quirk due to the distance between the clubs on the ladder I’d say.

I think you misinterpreted my post. I was just pointing out another fixture that would likely get tongues wagging again, as we’ve seen in the media this week.

Of course there’s swings and roundabouts. The fixtures are not equal across the league. Tigers / Blues round one locks this encounter in twice in most cases, like Pies / Bombers. Interestingly, I don’t think the Bombers / Tigers have met twice in a season much the last decade. Although this quirk due to the distance between the clubs on the ladder I’d say.

Yeah fair enough thanx for clarifying.

In our dynasty we didn't have a resurgent blues and bombers or even 1 to get a higher bump in overall attendances, pies yes but missed out on huge double ups on all v pies/ess/blues.

Look forward to when the tiges, pies, blues and bombers are all in the 8 and doubling up.

Yeah fair enough thanx for clarifying.

In our dynasty we didn't have a resurgent blues and bombers or even 1 to get a higher bump in overall attendances, pies yes but missed out on huge double ups on all v pies/ess/blues.

Look forward to when the tiges, pies, blues and bombers are all in the 8 and doubling up.
That might be the year 2326 and none of us will be here to see it!

Thanks for that. I also remember there was a record breaking streak for a Victorian club the Bombers held until 2015 that had them playing in front of 30,000+ at home for 29 games (?) in a row. That was a record that came to an end in the depths of the 2015 year when the ‘saga’ was really impacting the morale and performances of the side pre suspension.

You're a bit off here.

So far as I can tell Essendon actually had 51 home games of 30k+ in a row starting in 2011 and finishing towards the end of 2015.

However that's not Essendon's best - they had a 53 game streak from mid 2001 to mid 2006.

Also however, Collingwood had a 95 game streak from late 2005 to mid 2014.

I know nobody asked about this part - but Collingwood also had a ridiculous 67 home and away game streak without ever dropping below 30k starting late 2005 and ending in late 2008.

That's a record that stands a chance of never being broken, given that for the foreseeable future GWS, GC & Tassie will all have grounds that can't fit 30k.

You're a bit off here.

So far as I can tell Essendon actually had 51 home games of 30k+ in a row starting in 2011 and finishing towards the end of 2015.

However that's not Essendon's best - they had a 53 game streak from mid 2001 to mid 2006.

Also however, Collingwood had a 95 game streak from late 2005 to mid 2014.

I know nobody asked about this part - but Collingwood also had a ridiculous 67 home and away game streak without ever dropping below 30k starting late 2005 and ending in late 2008.

That's a record that stands a chance of never being broken, given that for the foreseeable future GWS, GC & Tassie will all have grounds that can't fit 30k.
Thanks for clarifying this, interesting statistics all round 👍

The Collingwood/Carlton match in Round 21 (likely to be Pendles' 400th) is selling as fast as any non-ANZAC Day game I've ever seen in the AFL Members. All regular seats gone within half an hour and already half the standing room as well.

{edit} Now not showing any available at 2.35pm.

In contrast to the Carlton game, Collingwood's games against Richmond and Brisbane are selling much more slowly than other Pies games this year. Probably sensible to wait and see if the games will be meaningful or not.

The fact that the Richmond one is in a very similar position to the Brisbane one is an indication of how much the Richmond fans have checked out already, and we may soon join them.

The Collingwood/Carlton match in Round 21 (likely to be Pendles' 400th) is selling as fast as any non-ANZAC Day game I've ever seen in the AFL Members. All regular seats gone within half an hour and already half the standing room as well.

All the Collingwood faithful want to see the 400th 👍 IMG_0760.jpeg

How is Saturday's game going for AFL members? Currently no public tickets available

Last edited:
How is Saturday's game going for AFL members? Currently no public tickets available
It won’t but…

Just goes to show decisive and out of touch the Kennett and Clarkson regime were. Between kicking 8-10 goals every match (for years) and the president telling the members to leave the club if they didn't like his political views it didn't do much favours

It won’t but…

Just goes to show decisive and out of touch the Kennett and Clarkson regime were. Between kicking 8-10 goals every match (for years) and the president telling the members to leave the club if they didn't like his political views it didn't do much favours

Standing room tickets weren’t sold so they won’t get close to 90k.

There’s still about 1k available.

Overall it looks like there’s a bit less sold than the Coll/Ess game which got 81k. I still can’t quite believe this game would get anywhere near that.

If 12th v 13th is looking like getting in the 70s or even 80s we’re going alright.

Overall it looks like there’s a bit less sold than the Coll/Ess game which got 81k. I still can’t quite believe this game would get anywhere near that.

If 12th v 13th is looking like getting in the 70s or even 80s we’re going alright.

That is extremely surprising given Hawthorn is 5th for AFL members whilst Essendon is in the big 3. Between them, Coll and Ess have thousands more AFL members than Coll and Haw.

Hawthorn have been rubbish for a very long time, it is the 4.35pm prime time slot, the Hawks haven't played a home game at the MCG for literally two months and Collingwood are the biggest club in the AFL (and the defending premier to boot). So maybe that’s the spike?

Last years game was supposedly close to a sell out and only drew 65,000 give or take. Plus the wet weather. That said, if it does draw 65,000, it'll be the Hawks 8th game (out of last 16) at the MCG to draw that figure which bodes well for the future.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is extremely surprising given Hawthorn is, what 5th (?) for AFL members whilst Essendon is in the big 3. Between them, Coll and Ess have thousands more AFL members than Coll and Haw.

Hawthorn have been rubbish for a very long time, it is the 4.35pm prime time slot, the Hawks haven't played a home game at the MCG for literally two months and Collingwood are the biggest club in the AFL (and the defending premier to boot). So maybe that’s the spike?

Last years game was supposedly close to a sell out and only drew 65,000 give or take. Plus the wet weather. That said, if it does draw 65,000, it'll be the Hawks 8th game (out of last 16) at the MCG to draw that figure which bodes well for the future.

Reckon it’s safely in the 70s at least, if it does manage to crack 80k that’d be an incredible result, all things considered.

Historically, I think people have been sleeping on just how consistently healthy the Hawks-Pies crowds have been.

That is extremely surprising given Hawthorn is 5th for AFL members whilst Essendon is in the big 3. Between them, Coll and Ess have thousands more AFL members than Coll and Haw.

Not that surprising, we did of course draw 90k to our last game at the MCG

There is a decent bandwagon in Hawthorn supporter base and this is the first home game since we have been good. Adelaide was our last home game, we were in decent form but still only sitting 4-7

Not that surprising, we did of course draw 90k to our last game at the MCG

There is a decent bandwagon in Hawthorn supporter base and this is the first home game since we have been good. Adelaide was our last home game, we were in decent form but still only sitting 4-7
Its a stretch to claim that Dustin Martin’s 300th was a Hawthorn crowd - the Martin factor alone drew at least 30,000 but the Hawks do have a substantial bandwagon.

Until Richmond followed up a 93,000 attendance with 19,000 I never thought I would say a greater variation than Hawthorn in 2014 when it drew 72,760 against the Swans and 17,906 against the Giants within about a month

Its a stretch to claim that Dustin Martin’s 300th was a Hawthorn crowd but the Hawks do have a substantial bandwagon.

Until Richmond followed up a 93,000 attendance with 19,000 I never thought I would say a greater variation than Hawthorn in 2014 when it drew 72,760 against the Swans and 17,906 against the Giants within about a month
There was a lot of sarcasm there but there was still a decent Hawthorn attendance for the Richmond game

I think Collingwood’s strong form until two weeks ago, with the Hawks been flying for about 3/4 weeks means people are buying tickets much earlier and avoiding disappointment of potentially selling out. So, early ticket sales are locking in bigger crowds irrespective of form lines for potentially big drawing contests across the comp.

This game sort of reminds me of the 2019 game Essendon (11th) Vs Swans (13th). It was two teams on the cusp of finals and 60,000 turned up as the game had lots riding on the outcome despite the apparent ladder positions. Hawks whilst 13th have won 9 of last 11 games (?) so they’re hardly a ‘13th’ team. Their fans are engaged.

Weather looks good again. But will Pies reserved seat members still go? Will all those AFL / MCC members who purchased seats early still go? They didn’t for Cats game (73K) and sort of didn’t for Bombers game (81k). Remembering the Bombers game sold out weeks before match-day and still only 81.7k.

My early guess, weather looks good, 74-75k. Still a terrific crowd but with Hawks realistic finals, Pies too you’d hope 74k go in a prime time slot.

Just my views on how ticket buying patterns have altered as more and more games are getting sold out.

Last edited:
I think selling 4 games to Tasmania does increase crowds when Hawthorn play in Melbourne a bit.

To be fair, Hawthorn has been playing in Tasmania for so long (since 2001) and 4 games interstate (since 2006) that there is no way of really knowing.

There is a pretty strong sample size, against all opponents, that show what impact playing games in Tassie has on overall attendance, but nothing on the swell for those limited Melbourne games.

Do North, the Dogs and Dees also get that swell? Who really knows.

What I will say is that pre 2008, Hawthorn had only played in front of 70,000-plus home and away crowds three times in their existence. In 2024 alone, they will almost certainly play in 4 games. And that’s without return games (in Melbourne) against Coll, Carl and Ess.

I don’t think any other Victorian club has grown from a small to a big club in a relatively short period of time (from the mid 1990s onward)

Last edited:
Its a stretch to claim that Dustin Martin’s 300th was a Hawthorn crowd - the Martin factor alone drew at least 30,000 but the Hawks do have a substantial bandwagon.

The only thing ill add to this is, 2014 was a hawks premiership year whereas for Richmond it'll be a wooden spoon year lol

To be fair, Hawthorn has been playing in Tasmania for so long (since 2001) and 4 games interstate (since 2006) that there is no way of really knowing.

There is a pretty strong sample size, against all opponents, that show what impact playing games in Tassie has on overall attendance, but nothing on the swell for those limited Melbourne games.

Do North, the Dogs and Dees also get that swell? Who really knows.

What I will say is that pre 2008, Hawthorn had only played in front of 70,000-plus home and away crowds three times in their existence. In 2024 alone, they will almost certainly play in 4 games. And that’s without return games (in Melbourne) against Coll, Carl and Ess.

I don’t think any other Victorian club has grown from a small to a big club in a relatively short period of time (from the mid 1990s onward)
Can't compare Hawthorn to North/Melbourne/Dogs selling games. Especially Melbourne because it is always only 1 game and our replacement home game is guaranteed to be at the G.

Hawthorn has 4 games in Tasmania plus a Marvel home gam which means your fan base only gets a maximum of 6 true home games at the MCG. Plus, some of Hawthorn's replacement home games are at Marvel.
Pretty sure you only get 9 games at the MCG compared to the 13+ Richmond/Melbourne/Collingwood get this year.
Hence, you can expect to see bigger crowds at the G because you only play there once every 2.5 weeks.

I think Collingwood’s strong form until two weeks ago, with the Hawks been flying for about 3/4 weeks means people are buying tickets much earlier and avoiding disappointment of potentially selling out. So, early ticket sales are locking in bigger crowds irrespective of form lines for potentially big drawing contests across the comp.

This game sort of reminds me of the 2019 game Essendon (11th) Vs Swans (13th). It was two teams on the cusp of finals and 60,000 turned up as the game had lots riding on the outcome despite the apparent ladder positions. Hawks whilst 13th have won 9 of last 11 games (?) so they’re hardly a ‘13th’ team. Their fans are engaged.

Weather looks good again. But will Pies reserved seat members still go? Will all those AFL / MCC members who purchased seats early still go? They didn’t for Cats game (73K) and sort of didn’t for Bombers game (81k). Remembering the Bombers game sold out weeks before match-day and still only 81.7k.

My early guess, weather looks good, 74-75k. Still a terrific crowd but with Hawks realistic finals, Pies too you’d hope 74k go in a prime time slot.

Just my views on how ticket buying patterns have altered as more and more games are getting sold out.
The way that memberships and attendances are trending up, the AFL working with clubs and their membership bases need to really think about rebuilding the way that resale and game access works.

There should absolutely be greater ease of an existing GA member for a club buying individual reserved seats from reserved seat holders on a game-to-game basis. The current resale method opens up the possibility of opposition fans sitting in a bay full of home team supporters, is ridiculously expensive, not generous enough to the reserved seat holder selling their ticket, and not easy to use or communicated widely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back