Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

33,000 exactly at Docklands.

Only bigger Dogs home vs Melbourne crowds were in 2017 after the Dogs' flag, and the two games in 1955 and 1956 after these two teams played off in the 1954 flag (and Melbourne were the best team then), and all three less than 1,000 more than this game.

Outstanding crowd.

Only bigger Dogs home vs Melbourne crowds were in 2017 after the Dogs' flag, and the two games in 1955 and 1956 after these two teams played off in the 1954 flag (and Melbourne were the best team then), and all three less than 1,000 more than this game.

Outstanding crowd.
Yeah I knew it would be a good crowd! I had that feeling it would be between 31-33 k!

Dogs fans coming outta the woodwork and for good reason.
Despite the criticisms over the years from a few Dogs fans, the 10 years of Beveridge as a coach never having coached fewer than 9 wins in a season and a very good winning record has been very good for the club. A sub-20k, even a sub-22k home crowd in any timeslot is generally unthinkable for the Dogs these days, even if it's still true that we're still the same size as North and St Kilda with our overall support.

If the Dogs can avoid being a bottom 4/bottom 6 team over yet another few years, maybe jag another flag or grand final and use that, and continue to invest in Ballarat and the Western Region, it'll be interest to see if there's a slow burn in the Dogs becoming a slightly bigger club than North/Saints/Dees in the coming years

Despite the criticisms over the years from a few Dogs fans, the 10 years of Beveridge as a coach never having coached fewer than 9 wins in a season and a very good winning record has been very good for the club. A sub-20k, even a sub-22k home crowd in any timeslot is generally unthinkable for the Dogs these days, even if it's still true that we're still the same size as North and St Kilda with our overall support.

If the Dogs can avoid being a bottom 4/bottom 6 team over yet another few years, maybe jag another flag or grand final and use that, and continue to invest in Ballarat and the Western Region, it'll be interest to see if there's a slow burn in the Dogs becoming a slightly bigger club than North/Saints/Dees in the coming years

Yeh the dogs are an attractive club these days imo. Star players, good facilities, some on field success and the club has some charisma now.

I think they'll attract more new fans if they stick to the top for a few years. That's the only criticism of bevo, they seem always be up and down, but when they get on a role they make grand finals, something they never previously did when I was growing up.

They could be like the hawks who definitely added a lot of fans via guys like Franklin, rioli and all their flags. Most newer immigrants I know to Melbourne that arrived around 2005 ended up hawks fans.

Outstanding crowd.
Wasn’t there another rounded crowd recently, 28,000 or something? Terrific crowd. It was heavily promoted, the Dogs are flavour of the month so hardly surprising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood v Carlton = 86,879

Excellent crowd but if there was a game for the pies and blues to exceed 90K+ this was it.
manicmagpie PonsfordMagpie were there big gaps in the pies members areas? or MCC members?
On TV I could see some empty gaps but nothing major. You wonder where the 13.5K spare seats were.

Last edited:
Excellent crowd but if there was a game for the pies and blues to exceed 90K+ this was it.
manicmagpie PonsfordMagpie were there big gaps in the pies members areas? or MCC members?
On TV I could see some empty gaps but nothing major. You wonder where the 13.5K spare seats were.

The MCC had significant gaps and the top of the Northern and Ponsford Stands had the odd gap as well. I wasn’t surprised to see it come in at around 87k.

The MCC had significant gaps and the top of the Northern and Ponsford Stands had the odd gap as well. I wasn’t surprised to see it come in at around 87k.
I saw gaps at the top of the Olympic Stand from where I was sitting.

Given the occasion, it was a slightly disappointing crowd for mine.

So why would dusty 300th played between the bottom placed team and a non big crowd drawing team , hawthorn played on the worst timeslot draw 93k, and Pendles 400th on a Saturday night between 2 teams trying to make finals draw 86k?
Yeah righto :drunk:

The same non big drawing team that has drawn 65,000 plus to half their MCG games since the start of last year.

5BC49677-FDE2-46C9-B735-6ABD8C0AD8FC.jpeg

Jog on to Bay13 champ

Yeah righto :drunk:

The same non big drawing team that has drawn 65,000 plus to half their MCG games since the start of last year.

View attachment 2068150

Jog on to Bay13 champ

So Hawthorn is as big a drawing club as Carlton ?

Is that what you are saying ?

We are comparing the crowds for Hawthorn v Richmond with Carlton V Collingwood

If you have nothing to add of value , please jog on to Bay13 Chump

So Hawthorn is as big a drawing club as Carlton ?

Is that what you are saying ?

We are comparing the crowds for Hawthorn v Richmond with Carlton V Collingwood

If you have nothing to add of value , please jog on to Bay13 Chump
No, but they are most certainly not a ‘non-big drawing club.’

How on earth could a ‘non-big drawing club’ average 60,000 plus at the MCG over two seasons where, for almost all games, they have been in the bottom 4.

But to answer your question, when you pump a shit load of discount memberships in ‘areas’ rather than expensive membership packages, which sold out weeks in advance, if it definitely helps.

The Saturday twilight (and Sunday 1.10 pm slot) is most definitely a better time than Saturday night for crowds.

Last edited:
My thoughts as well, looked packed.

go win a final
Answer my post
No, but they are most certainly not a ‘non-big drawing club.’

How on earth could a ‘non-big drawing club’ average 60,000 plus at the MCG over two seasons where, for almost all games, they have been in the bottom 4.

But to answer your question, when you pump a shit load of discount memberships in ‘areas’ rather than expensive membership packages, which sold out weeks in advance, if it definitely helps.

The Saturday twilight (and Sunday 1.10 pm slot) is most definitely a better time than Saturday night for crowds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back