Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I am. So far it's nothing to get excited by, especially if you don't have a northern academy. We'll have a top end pick next year. Yours might be 7+, pushed closer to 15 by all the academy kids. We know what we can get at 11 and 20 this year and it's two bloody good young players. We're not giving that away for one possible next year.
Agree, I love your ambition for us next year though. Next year is far more compromised at the moment but i am loving the top end. I find it hard to see us moving out of bottom 4 which is where i see that talent next year.
Interesting question how many picks do you think the tigers take from this draft? I assume you will trade some into next year. My guess is the golden number is 5 or 6.

Agree, I love your ambition for us next year though. Next year is far more compromised at the moment but i am loving the top end. I find it hard to see us moving out of bottom 4 which is where i see that talent next year.
Interesting question how many picks do you think the tigers take from this draft? I assume you will trade some into next year. My guess is the golden number is 5 or 6.
We'll take at least six, maybe seven.

Find it hilarious these geniuses who keep sprouting dees “need a key forward”. Yeah maybe back in 2021 we did, now we have JvR, Jefferson, Turner, Petty, Kentfield and Fullerton on our list developing. If we take another they won’t even get a run in the 2s.

We have also lost Brayshaw, Harmes, Jordan, Dunstan and Neal-Bullen as mids in last 12 months.

But yeah, we are going to take Armstrong in a midfielders draft with a top pick so he can develop in our 3rds.
How’s Jefferson coming along btw

Draper is in the conversation as the best SA prospect of the modern era and would be in the #1 pick discussion if he was born in Melbourne.

I like Phillipou, but he was nowhere close to the likes of Gibbs/JHF/Draper in their draft years.
Did you consider Phillipou's birthdate into your opinion...born 4 days later he'd have been in the following year's draft instead of playing 24 AFL games!

say GIF

There's only one way to settle this, Draper should go to Saints so we can actually compare. Phillipou has been playing for a poor side so as a young kid he's bound to have some poor performances too. Been watching SA draftees for ages, I'd personally have JHF way above any other SA draftee in modern era. Rozee would be a distant 2nd and Phillipou and Draper are tied.

This draft's top end talent isn't as early as other drafts. It's great and deep, not elite and deep. There's no JHF, Daicos, Darcy, Reid even Walsh and Rowell right at the top end. The reason why no one can pick out a #1 pick is because all prospects have had a bit of inconsistency throughout the year but have had some brilliant outings. Draper perhaps the most consistent, which is why he's in discussions as the best prospect but otherwise, his ceiling is lower but floor is higher. Phillipou's ceiling is at another level if he plays at a club with an aggressive gameplan and good development.
This is a good idea. Can all clubs before pick 7 make sure to pass on Draper for the sake of resolving this argument scientifically?

Who are your top 3 safe bets of the draft?

My safe bet is Sid Draper at number 1.

I think is a guaranteed good midfielder, maybe not the ceiling of some but seems as though his basement is higher than others.

I’d say above expectations-
Simon Black

Probably
Jack Steele

Basement
Darcy Parish

My next is a surprise but I would say
Kayle Gerreyn

I love his competitive nature, a guy that big and the way he attacks and his physical attributes he is a safe bet to make a contest at any level.

Ceiling
Joe Daniher/Nic Nat

Probably
David Hille

Basement
Pittonet

My number 3 is Hamish Davis

He moves so well can play anywhere and is a fit in multiple positions.

Ceiling
Nat Fyfe/Heeney

Probably
Embley

Basement
Hayward/ O Henry

How’s Jefferson coming along btw
29 goals in 17 games including a couple early where they tried him down back, so started to hit that 2 goals a game range and 2nd most in the VFL for non AFL listed players.

There's some promise, but I'd say at this stage it's probably 50:50 whether he really makes it soon or might be a long term fringe type. Noticeably stronger but still a fair way off body wise.

He was much better than last year and started to increase his marks, disposals and tackles not just his goal kicking. If he makes it soon he's got a lot of class and will do some special things.

Draper is in the conversation as the best SA prospect of the modern era and would be in the #1 pick discussion if he was born in Melbourne.

I like Phillipou, but he was nowhere close to the likes of Gibbs/JHF/Draper in their draft years.
Off the top of my head in recent history:

JHF
Gibbs
Rankine
Cooney

Daylight

Trengove
Thilthorpe
Rozee
Griffen
Lukosius
James Aish!

Then maybe:

Draper.

After Ashcroft this draft is soft at the top, if anyone had stepped up and claimed they number 1 pick spot they'd have been anointed no matter where they come from.

Off the top of my head in recent history:

JHF
Gibbs
Rankine
Cooney

Daylight

Trengove
Thilthorpe
Rozee
Griffen
Lukosius
James Aish!

Then maybe:

Draper.

After Ashcroft this draft is soft at the top, if anyone had stepped up and claimed they number 1 pick spot they'd have been anointed no matter where they come from.
Your ranking of Trengove is way, way too high!

Find it hilarious these geniuses who keep sprouting dees “need a key forward”. Yeah maybe back in 2021 we did, now we have JvR, Jefferson, Turner, Petty, Kentfield and Fullerton on our list developing. If we take another they won’t even get a run in the 2s.

We have also lost Brayshaw, Harmes, Jordan, Dunstan and Neal-Bullen as mids in last 12 months.

But yeah, we are going to take Armstrong in a midfielders draft with a top pick so he can develop in our 3rds.
Lost us at Petty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rewatched the 2023 Futures game. Tried to clip up the full last centre clearance below (Lombard - Camporeale - Gillett - Trainor - Johnson - Mentha).

12 months on and going into the draft how many of the 46 that played get drafted? How many likely to be sure things/smokeys/missing?

full

full

Caps lock warning.

Callum Twomey's latest top 30. (Not sure why he doesn't push it out to 50.)

01: LEVI ASHCROFT.
02: FINN O'SULLIVAN.
03: HARVEY LANGFORD.
04: SAM LALOR.
05: JAGGA SMITH.
06: MURPHY REID.
07: SID DRAPER.
08: JOSH SMILLIE.
09: ALIX TAURU.
10: HARRY ARMSTRONG.
11: TOBIE TRAVAGLIA.
12: BO ALLAN.