Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying to get ahead of the Tassie draft concessions. I can understand why but jeez 2025 is going to get ugly for them.
It'll be kinda like 2010 all over again, when we were 'the worst team since Fitzroy' and lost our first nine games before a glorious win over Port in the slop in Adelaide. Didn't even end up with the spoon. As a fan I really enjoyed that year. But that team had Jack Riewoldt winning the Coleman (at 21, in the second-bottom team, what a champion), as well as young Cotchin, Martin, Edwards, Rance, Astbury and Grimes on the list if not all in the ones at that stage.

We don't have that superstar young group yet, but we do have a better senior core than back then - even with everyone we've lost. But we're odds-on for the spoon, I imagine.

We need this draft and the next to be where we collect our next similar group. We might have a couple already but we really need to nail the next 2-3 drafts. Great hand in an excellent draft to begin. Looking forward to 20 Nov.

I'm just not seeing the NM pick split happening in the end despite all the talk.

If Richmond offer 6+18 for 2 is that worth it for North Melbourne? Surely North would rather just ensure they get who they want (even if they are reaching for somebody), as opposed to hoping in exchange for an extra pick that'll be in the 20s after bids.

On the flipside I don't see how Richmond could offer 6+10/11. It's too much. As much as they would like the top 2 picks, they can get another gun mid prospect at 6 plus add a KPP at 10/11 which is surely smarter early in a rebuild. Reid/Smillie + Tauru/Armstrong/Trainor > Smith/FOS/Lalor.

Saints and Dees would want something substantial back from North to part with both top 10 picks. I'm not sure North would be keen on that. If they were willing to swap both top 10s for pick 2, I imagine they would have gone harder at WC pick 3.

I'm just not seeing the NM pick split happening in the end despite all the talk.

If Richmond offer 6+18 for 2 is that worth it for North Melbourne? Surely North would rather just ensure they get who they want (even if they are reaching for somebody), as opposed to hoping in exchange for an extra pick that'll be in the 20s after bids.

On the flipside I don't see how Richmond could offer 6+10/11. It's too much. As much as they would like the top 2 picks, they can get another gun mid prospect at 6 plus add a KPP at 10/11 which is surely smarter early in a rebuild. Reid/Smillie + Tauru/Armstrong/Trainor > Smith/FOS/Lalor.

Saints and Dees would want something substantial back from North to part with both top 10 picks. I'm not sure North would be keen on that. If they were willing to swap both top 10s for pick 2, I imagine they would have gone harder at WC pick 3.
Agree. Only caveat... Norf may back themselves to finish ahead of Saints and/or Dees next year, and so might consider adding F1 to pick 2. But they'd really want to be confident it would work out that way.

Trying to get ahead of the Tassie draft concessions. I can understand why but jeez 2025 is going to get ugly for them.

It wont really be worse than this season even if we don't win a game. We won 2 games with an old list and half a checked out team. Atleast there will be young players to watch.

Agree. Only caveat... Norf may back themselves to finish ahead of Saints and/or Dees next year, and so might consider adding F1 to pick 2. But they'd really want to be confident it would work out that way.

Yeah, thought that to. They could also do 2+F1 for 6+10 from Richmond. Richmond's might be keen if they want to spread out their picks. But North sure would want to be confident. Super Risky and a big premium to pay to move their pick forward into this years draft from 2025.

Yeah, thought that to. They could also do 2+F1 for 6+10 from Richmond. Richmond's might be keen if they want to spread out their picks. But North sure would want to be confident. Super Risky and a big premium to pay to move their pick forward into this years draft from 2025.

They wont offer 2 + F1, we would take that without even thinking.

if we keep 2 i expect us to take lalor or FOS

top 4 not incl FS i think is locked in some order Lalor, FOS, Jagga, Draper

dees at 5 is hard to predict do they go Langford, Tauru or armstrong?
I would expect the dees to go for Tauru. Jason Taylor generally likes the tough types and the only time that he's gone for soft ones (aka Jefferson, Weideman) has been because we've been so desperate for forwards so I expect Tauru, then Langford and I'd imagine we'd look at Armstrong at 9 but I'm not sold on Armstrong. So many of his goals are crumbing type goals and his kicking looks horrible just from his highlights. Seems to helicopter so many goals. But that's just me, I could be wrong. I've heard he's a great contested mark but not many of his highlights show his great contested marks. There's many more contested mark highlights in Tauru's.

I would expect the dees to go for Tauru. Jason Taylor generally likes the tough types and the only time that he's gone for soft ones (aka Jefferson, Weideman) has been because we've been so desperate for forwards so I expect Tauru, then Langford and I'd imagine we'd look at Armstrong at 9 but I'm not sold on Armstrong. So many of his goals are crumbing type goals and his kicking looks horrible just from his highlights. Seems to helicopter so many goals. But that's just me, I could be wrong. I've heard he's a great contested mark but not many of his highlights show his great contested marks. There's many more contested mark highlights in Tauru's.
I assume Tauru is after the Kako bid of course 😉

The draft numbers don't matter now, if North move from 2 to 6 it's because they believe the guy they want will be there at 6. They get 18 as a bonus.

10/11 or 18 doesn't really matter as they're making the move for a particular player. Sure they'd rather 11, getting the bloke you want at 6 and then having 18, it's still a good deal.

The draft numbers don't matter now, if North move from 2 to 6 it's because they believe the guy they want will be there at 6. They get 18 as a bonus.

10/11 or 18 doesn't really matter as they're making the move for a particular player. Sure they'd rather 11, getting the bloke you want at 6 and then having 18, it's still a good deal.

That's true but if they only get 18 they'd want to be 100% sure their man is there at 6. Not worth the risk if there is any doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could anyone see Richmond trading pick 6 & 10 (pick 7 & 13 here) for North’s pick 2 (3 here), assuming Rioli/Bolton get done. Richmond can take both Lalor and Jagga and North can take Tauru (who they seem keen on but pick 2 might be a little high) and best available. Who says no here?

1. Richmond - Sam Lalor
  2. Brisbane (Bid) - Levi Ashcroft
  3. Richmond - Jagga Smith
  4. Carlton - Finn O’Sullivan
  5. Adelaide - Sam Draper
  6. Melbourne - Murphy Reid
  7. North - Alix Tauru
  8. Essendon (Bid) - Isaac Kako
  9. St Kilda - Harvey Langford
  10. St Kilda - Josh Smillie
  11. Gold Coast (Bid) - Leo Lombard
  12. Melbourne - Harry Armstrong
  13. North - Tobie Travaglia/best fit
N Fing way are we drafting that dud from Essendon (still under contract) ;) ...but if you were to say Sid Draper at pick 4...

Gut feel at this point is that Richmond take Lalor, then either North or Richmond (trading up) take FOS at 2

Not sure who's more likely to be taken by Carlton out of Draper and Smith, but I think the straight-line speed of Draper would suit them more?

After that, gut feel (no sources) is that we have Jagga over Langford on our big board. Draper too ofc, if Jagga goes to Carlton

Any chance the blues were happy to jump up to 3 to grab Sid Draper before the crowd pick?
Kinda makes sense, and they probably know that he won't go top 2, you can't say that with lalor, smith and O'Sullivan.
Adds some pace and spread to a midfield that can be one paced, hence why Kennedy has left?

What's the feeling over your way banzai - trade for pick 2 or not? And if so, what gets it done?

Im not that keen to trade up, would do 6 and 18, but not one of 10 or 11. But it really depends who North plan to take and if Richmond really want someone at 2. I assume we take Lalor at 1, then FOS will probably go to North at 2.

I don’t see Melbourne passing on Langford, Draper or Smith if they are available at 5. Seems to be a gap between top 5 mids and next group for me. I think more likely they will go KPP at 9.
Similar reason to why I think North takes FOS or Langford at 2 if we don’t trade back.

I don’t see Melbourne passing on Langford, Draper or Smith if they are available at 5. Seems to be a gap between top 5 mids and next group for me. I think more likely they will go KPP at 9.
Similar reason to why I think North takes FOS or Langford at 2 if we don’t trade back.
I think Melbourne may look to split pick 9 to a team like Richmond who have so many picks but may want to come up the order simply because they can.

I think Melbourne may look to split pick 9 to a team like Richmond who have so many picks but may want to come up the order simply because they can.
I think Melbourne are elite at climbing to the top of the draft and getting who they targeted. No way I can see your team dropping back - just not your modus operendi. Honestly - you have one of the best in class at negotiating up to elite picks at the pointy end of the draft.

I think Melbourne are elite at climbing to the top of the draft and getting who they targeted. No way I can see your team dropping back - just not your modus operendi. Honestly - you have one of the best in class at negotiating up to elite picks at the pointy end of the draft.
agreed but I think this would be a dumb draft to trade up in. If we trade up, we'd have to trade 5+9 which I can't see happening or moreso it can't be north melbourne because they don't have a good enough 2nd pick to give back to us. And either do Carlton.

Does anyone have a list of draft eligible/likely Father-son and Academy picks for this draft?

I know the below, but hoping for a fuller list

Adel - Welsh (later pick)
Bris - Aschroft (top 3), Marshall (pick in 20s?)
Carl - Camporeale twins (late 2nd onwards)
Ess - Kako (top 15)
GC - Lombard (top 15)
WC - Champion (later pick)

Surely there are more? Some bound for Cat B Rookies etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back