Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You are batshit insane if that isnt the plan.
Bizarre comment but okay. Armstrong is one of the more overrated players in the draft.

He's basically another Matthew Jefferson that's slightly bigger.

If we want to target a key forward in the draft with pick 9 it'll be the more aggressive and complete key forward in Jobe Shanahan.

Bizarre comment but okay. Armstrong is one of the more overrated players in the draft.

If we want to target a key forward in the draft with pick 9 it'll be the more aggressive and complete key forward in Jobe Shanahan.
Ah I get you. I thought you meant you wouldnt take a KPP forward. Shannahan is a possiblity too but feel certain its Armstrong

Dude he is absolutely shithouse as a forward. Even Harrison Petty would admit that

Pick 9 is because you want Armstrong. Only move more obvious is Bo Allan to Eagles
Petty is a terrific defender and yes, a poor forward.

I hope like hell we're not interested in Armstrong. He looks poor in the contest. After the Jefferson fiasco I'll be shocked if we take Armstrong.

There are better players than Bo Allan who'll be available at 9-11.

I'm not averse to taking Tauru at 5 and the best mid left at 9. Perhaps Lindsay or forward Berry.

But equally happy taking the best mid at 5, perhaps Langford or a fallen Smith.

Last edited:
Anything crazy though is still a downgrade to me. It would be Essendon F1st + 46 for Pick 18 type deal
Impossible they offer their F1 for pick 22( which 18 will be) by itself.

Going Cal's Sep form guide, he has the below players from 15 till 23
Hotton, Trainor, Berry, Lindsay, Shanahan, J.Whitlock, Hynes, Faull, Dattoli, M.Whitlock, Dodson

If one of these players are available at Tigers pick 18( which ill be 21/22), do you expect Bombers to trade F1 to get them?

Bombers F1 would likely be a Top 8 pick, I can't see this happening.

So I hope Tigers are ready to use all their picks.

Impossible they offer their F1 for pick 22( which 18 will be) by itself.

Going Cal's Sep form guide, he has the below players from 15 till 23
Hotton, Trainor, Berry, Lindsay, Shanahan, J.Whitlock, Hynes, Faull, Dattoli, M.Whitlock, Dodson

If one of these players are available at Tigers pick 18( which ill be 21/22), do you expect Bombers to trade F1 to get them?

Bombers F1 would likely be a Top 8 pick, I can't see this happening.

So I hope Tigers are ready to use all their picks.
Maybe Hotton or Lindsay they would. If they go before 18 then its not worth it for Bombers

Surely Kako isn't top 10
He's not, but if Essendon was still holding pick 9 then there's every chance a club would bid on him with a top 8 pick just to make sure Essendon don't get two top 15 picks. We know Essendon are going to match virtually any bid for Kako, so if pick 8 bids on Kako then Essendon's pick 9 would evaporate in the process and the team holding pick 7 is no worse off because they were never going to get Kako anyway.

Bombers pick 28 and 31 are both not needed for points even if Kako is bid on at 8. They have more than enough.

Wonder what their plans are to trade for that. IMO would make more sense to offer both for tigers pick 20 and then try to swap 20 out for a F1, any F1.

I doubt any bottom 8 team is offering their F2 for just one of them as both will be pick in 30's after the bids. Would like Hawks to offer Blues F2 for one of them if Hawks find no one bites on their Blues F1 offers for teen picks.

There is option for them to trade pick 28 to a team's F2 and after Kako bid trade back that team's 2nd rounder for their F2.

Repeat same for pick 31.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you get anything back for that Holmes trade, I can see clubs doing it for picks under 20 with picks coming back.

But above 20, pure F1's trades are going to be hard. Only happens if a real talent slides but we are told this is a even draft, so unlikely that happens.

Josh Weddle was traded in for live pick 27+F2+F3 for live pick 18. Was very unpopular trade when it was made and seen as overs( Syd delisted the Hawks NGA Cooper Vickery they picked at 27 this yr)

Tigers pick 18 will be pick 22 after FS/Academy bid matches. I bet they are dreaming of getting a F1 for it but offers will be from teams who hold later picks 30-40 with F2 added in.

Same offers for next set of 5 picks.

F1 deals will be for 2 picks ( 18+23 or 19+22) or for F1+ later pick for single pick 18-23

No it was a straight swap of 20 for our fr1. So obviously we wore all the risk but in hindsight it's been a great call Holmes is one of the better players in that pool.

The important thing is with a live trade yes there's future risk but you aren't trading for a pick no but a specific player so if you rank him say 10 or 11 on your board you do it.
I reckon the Tigers will get offered an fr1 for 18 or 20 straight up-but obviously only from a club that thinks they will definitely be top 6 next year.

Saints and Dees would want something substantial back from North to part with both top 10 picks. I'm not sure North would be keen on that. If they were willing to swap both top 10s for pick 2, I imagine they would have gone harder at WC pick 3.
Saints trading 7 or 8 for 15 & 16 would give them, and Giants for that matter, the chance to do a deal.
Think most Saints would do 2 & 16 over 7 & 8?
And GWS, whose biggest ever FA signing is Dawson Simpson, have to be considering how to get up near the top

Saints trading 7 or 8 for 15 & 16 would give them, and Giants for that matter, the chance to do a deal.
Think most Saints would do 2 & 16 over 7 & 8?
And GWS, whose biggest ever FA signing is Dawson Simpson, have to be considering how to get up near the top
7 and 8 are still in the highest potential sweet spot in this draft.

15 and 16 are in the solid - really good depth realm but but not the same probability that those players may end up elite.

With Dalrymple on board I’d be sticking fat with what they have if I was St Kilda

If we trade, much prefer to trade back, not out (net picks taken). Wouldn’t surprise if our last player chosen goes in the late 30’s/ early 40’s.

Recent extensions to depth players have been very modest, giving us the chance to take 6+ pretty easily next year & obv we’d rather they chosen from be the better ones.

Coulthard, Dow, McIntosh & Cumberland still in limbo but (if) any of those retained, only for a year.

Would be rapt to grab Harry Oliver anytime from 23.

Lost Rioli, Short getting on/ fading, & while Brown is a nice user & believe we’ll try Judson Clark back next year, an aggressive hardarse space taker like Harrison should be a priority. Suspect Sydney may call him at 22

Last edited:
Would be rapt to grab Harry Oliver anytime from 23.

Lost Rioli, Short getting on/ fading, & while Brown is a nice user & believe we’ll try Judson Clark back next year, an aggressive hardarse space taker like Harrison should be a priority. Suspect Sydney may call him at 22
I'm hoping that Giants call Oliver's name out at #21. Could possibly replace Perryman in defence immediately, but more likely would replace Whitfield in a couple of years. Seems a Caruso-type pick.

I'm hoping that Giants call Oliver's name out at #21. Could possibly replace Perryman in defence immediately, but more likely would replace Whitfield in a couple of years. Seems a Caruso-type pick.
Could really see that.
He seems to get plonked at 29 in every list, but he’s a potential weapon, with edge. They’re pretty handy

I think he made the right call. Obviously didn’t have what it takes to make it as a footballer but apparently did really well at schools. Good luck to the young fella
So even with the benefit of hindsight and knowing he was virtually guaranteed to play Coates Talent League games had he stayed in Queensland, you still think he made the right call to head to Melbourne to play in the lower divisions for Balwyn and Park Orchids?

7 and 8 are still in the highest potential sweet spot in this draft.

15 and 16 are in the solid - really good depth realm but but not the same probability that those players may end up elite.

With Dalrymple on board I’d be sticking fat with what they have if I was St Kilda
Yeah I can't see us trading up.

The talk is that Richmond may need to shed a pick and get another in next year's draft

Would Tigers consider Saints pick 8 + our F1 for 10 & 11?

Tigers would have 1 6 8 in the draft + Saints F1

Saints have 7 10 11 in this years draft less F1 in next year's

Saints F1 would be around pick 5 to 12 and Tigers get a 2 pick upgrade but still have plenty of picks in this year's draft ... they would get ahead of Melbourne's pick 9

Why do you say that Give me some reasons in detail to support your claims.

Yeah I can't see us trading up.

The talk is that Richmond may need to shed a pick and get another in next year's draft

Would Tigers consider Saints pick 8 + our F1 for 10 & 11?

Tigers would have 1 6 8 in the draft + Saints F1

Saints have 7 10 11 in this years draft less F1 in next year's

Saints F1 would be around pick 5 to 12 and Tigers get a 2 pick upgrade but still have plenty of picks in this year's draft ... they would get ahead of Melbourne's pick 9

If Richmond needed to shed a pick in this draft, and move it into 2025, why would they not have done that in the trade period? I mean the late picks we have may be moved on, for Futures and for later picks, maybe

But not 10 and 11.

They have heaps of chances to do it infact we traded F3 to get 24 from Gold coast over the line, so that logic does not work.

Richmond do not need to shed anything in this draft, the funniest story is the one that says that they cannot afford to draft 8 players in this draft because they will all come out of contract together.

Um it is not actually how things work.

Pick 1-20 have three year contracts
Pick 21+ have two year contracts

Any player can be offered a longer contract at any time

If lalor kills it in his first year, even if he doesn't, but he looks good, Richmond would just offer him another contract for another 2/3/4 years,

All these players killing it, and coming out of contract is a good thing, not a bad thing.

This is all written in the context that RM believe this years draft is much better than next years

So even with the benefit of hindsight and knowing he was virtually guaranteed to play Coates Talent League games had he stayed in Queensland, you still think he made the right call to head to Melbourne to play in the lower divisions for Balwyn and Park Orchids?
Yep because he got a private school education down here

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back