Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this Richmond fans consensus? Or more broadly?
Fans consensus, don't take much notice of the media nuffies but Cal (who's the best of them) has us taking Lalor as well.

A lot of the draft watchers have us taking Jagga but I don't think that they understand the Tigers drafting strategy, our recruiters like those players with a high impact per possession ratio, so I wouldn't be surprised if our board shows...

Lalor
FOS
Langford
Draper
Smith
Smillie

I’m no expert but he looks like the best of the lot by a margin. Looks the most well rounded. Skills, pace, agility, marking, vision, inside-outside game, everything. Moves like a more athletic and agile version of LDU.
I have 2 knocks on FOS - his kicking runs very hot and cold and his inside game, due to injury he hasn’t been able to stamp himself as a genuine ball winner.

I think he’s more of a Butters type than a LDU, and if we’re lowering the bar maybe even more Zac Bailey with better marking?

If I had a good assessment on Langford’s speed and Lalor’s speed/endurance I’d have those both over FOS because they win the ball in tight and kick the ball better.

But it could just be injuries and lack of opportunity to play full midfield games impacting FOS. They are the clear top 3 of the open draft pool.

I have 2 knocks on FOS - his kicking runs very hot and cold and his inside game, due to injury he hasn’t been able to stamp himself as a genuine ball winner.

I think he’s more of a Butters type than a LDU, and if we’re lowering the bar maybe even more Zac Bailey with better marking?

If I had a good assessment on Langford’s speed and Lalor’s speed/endurance I’d have those both over FOS because they win the ball in tight and kick the ball better.

But it could just be injuries and lack of opportunity to play full midfield games impacting FOS. They are the clear top 3 of the open draft pool.
My top 3 too.

To the eye Butters plays with a lower centre of gravity than FOS who has a bit more bounce and athleticism. Both agile with their lateral movement though.

I see alot of Isaak Heeney in FOS

Maybe it might be because thats what i want to see
Do you think you take him at 1? I luv Lalor as well, but FOS looks the safer bet to be a consistent star.
I remember Dusty’s draft video, as North were slated to take him at pick 5, in the Sunday draft footy show that used to be on, for most of the year…….He always looked like the player he became. Kicking ability was insane. Probably my only knock on Lalor from the highlights. Doesn’t drill em like Dusty, ball floats a bit. Kid can play though.

Do you think you take him at 1? I luv Lalor as well, but FOS looks the safer bet to be a consistent star.
I remember Dusty’s draft video, as North were slated to take him at pick 5, in the Sunday draft footy show that used to be on, for most of the year…….He always looked like the player he became. Kicking ability was insane. Probably my only knock on Lalor from the highlights. Doesn’t drill em like Dusty, ball floats a bit. Kid can play though.
With Lalor injuries and no testing i think FOS is the more proven and know quality and has been top pick last 2 years we would have to go with FOS. But as a Richmond supporters would always have a bias to a bloke that has some Dusty like traits you would think.

But not sure the club would see it that way and there is a lot of noise around Langford & Jagga also
This is whats strange about this draft there are 4-5 players that could go 1 or 5

With Lalor injuries and no testing i think FOS is the more proven and know quality and has been top pick last 2 years we would have to go with FOS. But as a Richmond supporters would always have a bias to a bloke that has some Dusty like traits you would think.

But not sure the club would see it that way and there is a lot of noise around Langford & Jagga also
This is whats strange about this draft there are 4-5 players that could go 1 or 5
Personally I don’t think Langford or Jagga could go pick 1, well definitely not Langford, Jagga with a push, but it’d be a massive call. I think there’s a gap, but each to their own. He’s a talent though.
Most of the good players tipped to go early are either a bit on the small side or super tall but not physical, like Smillie.
Langford looks a competitor though, but his wheels, or lack of, worry me.
I’m not a believer that it’s as stacked a draft as they say either…….some great prospects, but all with caveats attached like always. Feels very even, especially in the talls. Be great if one of them looked an absolute gun or beast like a Walter or Darcy. I hope if we end up with a tall he’s super physical, unlike Larks.
I’m sure all clubs will be “wrapt our guy was still there at our pick”, of course.

Personally I don’t think Langford or Jagga could go pick 1, well definitely not Langford, Jagga with a push, but it’d be a massive call. I think there’s a gap, but each to their own. He’s a talent though.
Most of the good players tipped to go early are either a bit on the small side or super tall but not physical, like Smillie.
Langford looks a competitor though, but his wheels, or lack of, worry me.
I’m not a believer that it’s as stacked a draft as they say either…….some great prospects, but all with caveats attached like always. Feels very even, especially in the talls. Be great if one of them looked an absolute gun or beast like a Walter or Darcy. I hope if we end up with a tall he’s super physical, unlike Larks.
I’m sure all clubs will be “wrapt our guy was still there at our pick”, of course.
Agree with most of that but got to take issue with saying Smillie not physical. He definitely is.

Most of the information out there for the draft has Tigers taking FOS or Lalor 1 which I get. I’m always just a little surprised at the disrespect for Jagga. I think with Taranto and Hooper in the Tigers midfield Smith could be the perfect partner. I think he has a low ceiling but high floor in terms of talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of the information out there for the draft has Tigers taking FOS or Lalor 1 which I get. I’m always just a little surprised at the disrespect for Jagga. I think with Taranto and Hooper in the Tigers midfield Smith could be the perfect partner. I think he has a low ceiling but high floor in terms of talent.
The bolded is why we won't waste a top-2 pick on him and neither will anyone else.

I agree that’s what it comes down to. Just feel for him. This season him and Ashcroft have been the most consistent.
I wouldn't feel too bad for him. He's still going to go top-10 and get paid six figures to play footy as a 19-year-old.

Agree with most of that but got to take issue with saying Smillie not physical. He definitely is.
Oh I haven’t noticed that, geez I hope he is, be pretty hard to contend with at that size and skill set.
It’s definitely a knock on him, that he doesn’t use his size to advantage. You’d think he’d be smashing blokes in his age group. Could be a serious player if was a brute like Cripps etc.

I change my mind every day 😂
Yesterday I was trade for 2=6+18....... Tauru and Faull.
Today I am take one of the big 4 with 2 and trade into 2nd round with F2 and F3.
I wonder what I will be tomorrow 😉
Can't wait to find out !!
Sarcastic Willy Wonka GIF

Today I am take one of the big 4 with 2 and trade into 2nd round with F2 and F3.
Yeah, that ain't happening.

Oh I haven’t noticed that, geez I hope he is, be pretty hard to contend with at that size and skill set.
It’s definitely a knock on him, that he doesn’t use his size to advantage. You’d think he’d be smashing blokes in his age group. Could be a serious player if was a brute like Cripps etc.
He probably could use it more than he does now, but he does enjoy the physical stuff. My knocks on him when he was talked about as pick 1 were his poor handle at lawn height and lack of overhead marking, but at 6 I love him. If we keep 6 I'll be rapt with him or Langford (or Tauru) and probably just prefer him to Langford.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back