Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rules as every other year.

This isn’t the thread to talk about your ladder predictions or declarations of how interested you are in the draft in response to a win/loss, nor is it the thread to declare who you want to trade for.
Those posts will be deleted.

Talk about the kids in the draft.

I don't care how the Hawks do it (any combo of F1, 33, & / or whatever else) just get one of these mobile key forwards:
  • Harry Armstrong, 195cm
  • Jobe Shanahan, 194cm
  • Jack Whitlock, 200cm
  • Matt Whitlock, 199cm
  • Charlie Nicholls, 197cm
  • Thomas Sims, 199cm. (Edit: I missed Sims!!! who I think would be a great pickup at 33).
If we pay "overs" for any of these, so be it. This is the only hole / uncertainty left in the Hawks list. Draft for position.

Last edited:

I don't care how the Hawks do it (any combo of F1, 33, & / or whatever else) just get one of these mobile key forwards:
  • Harry Armstrong, 195cm
  • Jobe Shanahan, 194cm
  • Jack Whitlock, 200cm
  • Matt Whitlock, 199cm
  • Charlie Nicholls, 197cm
If we pay "overs" for any of these, so be it. This is the only hole / uncertainty left in the Hawks list. Draft for position.
Or a speedy mid with Class.

We've had 2 goes at this with Ward and Mckenzie.
Massimo went straight past them this season.
If either come on this year we are set. If not we need one.

Last edited:

Was Massi an MSD pick by scum?

Which cohort should he have been drafted with?

Not sure how you can argue he's gone past them when he doesn't even remotely play the same position as either?

Like the sound of this kid endurance beast with size, can play tall or in the midfield …… Sam loves versatility doesn’t he.

He could be the Gunston replacement when he moves on?

Zak Johnson with our second is a player who excites me. Dynamic mid.

Oliver Hannaford is a quality small forward. Quick, reliable user, and applies defensive pressure. Not a need but for best available he'd be up there.

Thomas Sims / Harry O'Farrell potentially available. Sims is a contested marking KPF whose marking is his one wood. O'Farrell a low production but quality lockdown defender who has struggled managing an injury.

Yes there are definitely good potentials for our second pick and would love to get into the third round as well as expect some slide. I suspect we could land one of the talls with pies 2nd you mention although would love Gerryn but doubt he gets too our pick. Davo has Zak Johnson in the 50s that would be some get!
Zak Johnson is a good user of the footy a d that stood out in the u16s champs, but this year when he played against known opponents, he lowered his colours and seemed intimidated which is a concern for when he steps up in quality at AFL level, I'm concerned about that a bit, which is why he has dropped down my rankings.

He could be the Gunston replacement when he moves on?
It's going to be very interesting how Mitch decides to use Serong. Can either make him bide his time as a defender in the 2s or put him under Gunston's wing and develop him as a versatile 3rd tall that can play at either end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes a speedy breakaway mid with class would be awesome. But I think we can "make" that player with players who also do a different role. We could use CMac, the Wiz, Moore, and maybe even Seamus to do what Cyril did during the 3 peat era (when Cyril attended centre bounces the group won the clearance more often than when he was not there).

That said, if we walked away with Taj Hotton, as a 4th part of the above "break-away" group, and did not get our developing KPF, I'd still be more than pleased.

Yes to try and fit him in the team, Ward isn't suited for the wing unlike Massimo. Play Massimo as an onballer and see how he goes.
There is a fact in corporate life. People of ambition rise to the level of their incompetence.

Massi is doing great on the wing. Let him play wing and be great!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back