List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

He does but didn't have a great championship campaign. Was clear number 1 early in the year now possibly slides outside 5.

If only we can get picks.

I liked the look of Smillie more than Langford based on a very small sample size ;)

Smillie is a big kid already and has some size and strength through the hips and thighs.

Players likely available around our first pick currently

Thomas SimsKey Forward12/5/06199cmNorthern Knights/Vic Metro
Noah MrazKey Defender 20/2/06197cm/82kgDandenong Stingrays/Vic Country
Jesse DattoliMidfielder/Forward7/8/06179cmNorthern Knights/Vic Metro
Harry O'FarrellKey Defender 3/5/06196cm/72kgCalder Cannons/Vic Metro
Kayle GerreynRuck10/5/06192cm/88kgWest Perth/Western Australia
Jasper AlgerForward17/12/06182cmOakleigh Chargers/Vic Country
Ned BowmanForward12/9/06186cmNorwood/South Australia
Joshua Dolan11/11/06177cmSandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
Charlie NichollsKey Forward8/6/06197cmCentral District/South Australia
Lucca GregoMidfielder15/8/06184cmWestern Jets/Vic Metro
Hamish DavisForward2/5/06190cm/85kgClaremont/Western Australia
Nathan SulzbergerDefender6/5/06187cmSandringham Dragons/Tasmania Devils/Allies
Xavier IvisicWing6/1/06180cm/69kgGeelong Falcons/Vic Country
Zak JohnsonMidfielder24/12/06185cmNorthern Knights/Vic Metro
Damon HollowDefender 30/3/06180cm/74kgCalder Cannons/Vic Metro
Archer Day-WicksMidfielder/Forward13/5/06185cm/82kgBendigo Pioneers/Vic Country
Phoenix HargraveMidfielder 15/9/06182cmSouth Adelaide/South Australia
Cody AndersonMidfielder30/1/06181cmEastern Ranges/Vic Metro
Luke UrquhartMidfielder19/9/06190cm/76kgEast Fremantle/Western Australia
Jacob NewtonMidfielder/Forward20/3/06178cmNorwood/South Australia
Lachie Jaques6/1/06184cmGeelong Falcons/Vic Country
Joshua MurphyForward28/11/06190cm/84kgMurray Bushrangers/Allies
Angus ClarkeMidfielder 188cmGlenelg/South Australia
James BarratKey Forward23/11/06193cmBendigo Pioneers/Vic Country
Oliver Depaoli-KubankUtility24/7/06177cm/64kgTasmania Devils/Allies
Clancy DennisKey Defemder28/12/06192cm/75kgClaremont/Western Australia
Kade HerbertMidfielder3/4/06184cmWoodville-West Torrens/South Australia
Harry CharlesonMidfielder/Forward26/6/06182cmGWV Rebels/Vic Country
Ned AtkinsonMidfielder/Forward31/7/06182cmSturt/South Australia
Charlie Burke11/4/06184cm/74kgSubiaco/Western Australia
Nash KingMidfielder 5/1/06181cm/79kgCalder Cannons/Vic Metro
Taj StanleyMidfielder31/10/06177cmPerth/NT Thunder/Allies

I'd make a case for Charlie Nicholls.

( Think Westoff) (Justin)

Think we are covered for mids unless there's obviously better than we have F/S

Can play down the ground. Has played a couple of reserves games and gone ok. Did kick 3 yesterday in the under 18s with 16 disposals and 3 inside 50s which suggests he was down the ground.

I'd make a case for Charlie Nicholls.

( Think Westoff) (Justin)

Think we are covered for mids unless there's obviously better than we have F/S

Can play down the ground. Has played a couple of reserves games and gone ok. Did kick 3 yesterday in the under 18s with 16 disposals and 3 inside 50s which suggests he was down the ground.

I don't think we are covered for mids at all, outside Butters Rozee JHF and Wines

Standout mids are gone inside 20.

By the time our pick comes around we will be looking a the development types?
Development mids are fine. We've got plenty of options inside the 22. Outside of it, it's just Jackson and SANFL players.

Definitely lack midfield depth.

Yeah I like our starting quality but falls away after that , which is apparent when we’re playing top ups on ball in our sanfl side.

arguably boaks wing position from this year is up for grabs next year but we’ve got options on our list to go through there, I don’t think we’ve got a guy to replace wines on our list at all. I think mead will perpetually be a 18th-25th on list option.

I really like sinn and Jackson if both can stay fit and get a run at it, which is not guaranteed.

I still think Bergman could become a very good or maybe elite mid if we went down that road but we’re probably going to have to leave him in defence, where he’s certainly already very good and heading to elite.

I would argue we should be adding 2-4 genuine mids to our list in the next 2 years.

Aren't people saying this is an even deep draft? Where does the quality start to run out?

For me this draft lacks an elite top end, has more depth than usual because there's more talls than normal throughout the mid part of the pool and from 11-40 it's pretty even.

There will be some worth grabbing in this draft.
Zak Johnson
Luke Urquhart
Lucca Grego
Angus Clarke
Lachie Jaques
Xavier Ivisic
Urquhart the only one that I would draft from that list. Would be a point of difference in our midfield with his height and size

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me this draft lacks an elite top end, has more depth than usual because there's more talls than normal throughout the mid part of the pool and from 11-40 it's pretty even.

I really hope we trade into the 30-50 range of the draft. I don’t think we need to expend a lot of assets to get high necessarily, Parker’s shown he can unearth players outside of the first round.

Our 2nd rounder (pies or freo I forget) will be in that range and I think it’s easily achievable to trade that 3rd we hold up around the 35-45 range.

Development mids are fine. We've got plenty of options inside the 22. Outside of it, it's just Jackson and SANFL players.
I think we have loaded up on Key Position talent. With Boak, Dixon, McKenzie, possibly Clurey’s departure(s) we add 4 Mids we have the balance far better again. Even if Rome and Louis are seen as Flankers, hopefully that forces us to push Sinn, Charleson and/or McCallum on the ball.

I think Josh Smilie is the player we all wish Jack Lukosius to be.

He's a huge unit in the middle with a great football brain but can easily use that frame for the third tall in the forward line.

I'm comparing him to the Hornet. Perhaps I am a bit too excited but its the draft.

If we got him or Draper for Houston and some change, it would be great business. Both are close to ready to play immediately.

Ten SANFL players have received invites to the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft Combine to be held in Melbourne from Friday October 4 to Sunday October 6.

Headlined by AFL U18 All-Australians Sid Draper, Ben Camporeale and Alex Dodson, the Croweaters’ contingent will undergo medical screenings and interviews at the MCG across the opening two days before completing a series of physical tests on the final day at the Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre.
Physical testing will include the vertical jump, running vertical jump, 20-metre sprint, agility test and 2km time trial.
Camporeale’s twin brother Lucas, also eligible to be selected by Carlton under the father-son rule, has been invited together with high-flying Norwood forward Ned Bowman and hard-working Redlegs midfielder Jacob Newton.
Polished Glenelg defender Angus Clarke, who enjoyed a consistent AFL National Carnival campaign, has caught the eye, along with South midfielder Phoenix Hargrave, who has joined Draper as a regular in the Panthers’ Hostplus SANFL League rotation.
Tall forwards Charlie Nicholls and Charlie West have also pushed their claims for a chance at elite level with the impressive athleticism and mobility.

Six SANFL players have been invited to the State AFL Draft Combine, which will be held on Saturday October 12.
They include Adelaide father-son prospect Tyler Welsh, who is currently playing with the Crows SANFL team after developing from Woodville-West Torrens.
Speedy and elusive goalsneaks Evan Bradley and Benny Barrett join the State Combine invitees, together with Glenelg pair Thomas McKay and Harry Ramm, as well as Eagle Kade Herbert, who has featured in five League games in 2024.

Ten SANFL players have received invites to the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft Combine to be held in Melbourne from Friday October 4 to Sunday October 6.

Headlined by AFL U18 All-Australians Sid Draper, Ben Camporeale and Alex Dodson, the Croweaters’ contingent will undergo medical screenings and interviews at the MCG across the opening two days before completing a series of physical tests on the final day at the Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre.
Physical testing will include the vertical jump, running vertical jump, 20-metre sprint, agility test and 2km time trial.
Camporeale’s twin brother Lucas, also eligible to be selected by Carlton under the father-son rule, has been invited together with high-flying Norwood forward Ned Bowman and hard-working Redlegs midfielder Jacob Newton.
Polished Glenelg defender Angus Clarke, who enjoyed a consistent AFL National Carnival campaign, has caught the eye, along with South midfielder Phoenix Hargrave, who has joined Draper as a regular in the Panthers’ Hostplus SANFL League rotation.
Tall forwards Charlie Nicholls and Charlie West have also pushed their claims for a chance at elite level with the impressive athleticism and mobility.

Six SANFL players have been invited to the State AFL Draft Combine, which will be held on Saturday October 12.
They include Adelaide father-son prospect Tyler Welsh, who is currently playing with the Crows SANFL team after developing from Woodville-West Torrens.
Speedy and elusive goalsneaks Evan Bradley and Benny Barrett join the State Combine invitees, together with Glenelg pair Thomas McKay and Harry Ramm, as well as Eagle Kade Herbert, who has featured in five League games in 2024.

Tyler Walsh being there surprised me a little.

There's no doubt he's going F/S

SIGNIFICANT changes to the Academy and father-son bidding points system will be introduced in 2025, after the AFL decided against bringing it in for this year.
But clubs will be able to match bids on Next Generation Academy players from pick No.1 again this year after the AFL Commission this week approved the rule change.

The League wrote to clubs on Friday detailing a range of new draft, trade and free agency changes which were rubberstamped this week and will come into effect across the next three seasons after the AFL's thorough competitive balance review.

The most significant outcome of the Commission meeting was that the League will wait until next year before implementing its new points system.

It means clubs such as Brisbane (who have Levi Ashcroft and Sam Marshall coming through this year), Carlton (for the Camporeale twins) and Richmond (who traded in extra picks to move up the draft board), which had all rallied against changing it in 2024, will be able to use the draft picks they collected during last year's trade and draft period in preparation for this year, under the same system.

The League has also chosen to wait until 2025 before it allows clubs to trade picks two years into the future. It will remain at one year into the future this off-season.

For 2024, the main changes will be:
  • Clubs having access from pick No.1 onwards for NGA prospects in a return to previous rules to align with northern Academy and the father-son bidding system. The AFL has prioritised this change, revealed by AFL.com.au last month, because it does not want to further see a decline in diverse and Indigenous talent.
  • The AFL will also continue to run its review on changing the NGA zones ahead of Tasmania's entrance into the game and the required eligibility and sign-up process for NGA draftees.
  • Free agency compensation picks will from now take into account contract length as a determining factor, however contracts less than two years, or more than five, will not be given any weight. The League will be more transparent with its free agency compensation formula using the year lengths of deals.
  • Clubs will be able to retain rookies for up to a maximum of five years, up from the current three years. This is to help give clubs more time to develop key position and taller talents as well as players from different backgrounds. Stipulations will mean the player cannot have played more than 10 games at the end of his fourth or fifth season to retain rookie status.
  • More flexibility in the drafting of father-son prospects as primary-listed players or rookie-listed players. Current rules mean clubs have to nominate before the national draft if a player will be a national or rookie father-son, with the tweak giving more scope to make decisions during the live draft.
For 2025, the main changes will be:
  • The revised draft value index and bidding system will be introduced. The new DVI will make it harder for clubs to stockpile draft selections to match multiple bids on Academy and father-son selections.
  • As part of this, the 20 per cent points discount applied to matched bids will be reduced to 10 per cent. However, the AFL will continue to review this and assess whether it should apply to all or some of father-son, NGA and northern Academy players.
  • The new DVI will see points attached to only the first 54 picks (down from the current system of the first 73 picks). There will be more than 10,000 points shaved off the value of the next DVI.
  • Future trading of picks will be extended to two years in advance.

For 2026, the main change will be:
  • Live trading will be introduced for the 2026 mid-season rookie draft, allowing clubs to move up and down in the order or trade into the draft using end of year selections.

I think we have loaded up on Key Position talent. With Boak, Dixon, McKenzie, possibly Clurey’s departure(s) we add 4 Mids we have the balance far better again. Even if Rome and Louis are seen as Flankers, hopefully that forces us to push Sinn, Charleson and/or McCallum on the ball.

My god, we're going to be bottom forever!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back