List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

With Marshall having strong issues with concussions and Dixon on his last legs, we should be looking to get a CHF.

If we get an early pick, I'd probably want another star midfielder but whatever is left over, unless we have really good intel on another midfielder or player who is worth going for, we should look to grab a tall goal kicking either from the draft or preferably a readymade forward like Lukosuis who is not perfect but could play the 3rd role well and could possibly play the Bergman role if he leaves to go home.

if we lose Houston and don’t get Picket, it’s two first rounders.

Pending K.Marshall, T.Marshall and Dixon, I would be taking the best 6’4 athlete, like Burgman, Cripps or Bont.

I have said previously I think our Midfield depth is pretty solid, we need an Ollie replacement if Mead or Drew aren’t able to evolve. But with Rozee, Butters, JHF, Wines, Drew, Mead, Burgoyne, Lorenz, Jackson, Sinn, *McIntee, *Charleson and *McCallum, with Montgomery, R.Burgoyne and Francou to join this year, a big and quick athlete who may be a Half Forward, Half Back, Wingman or a Cripps/Wines type onballer would be icing.

*** McIntee a good SANFL onballer but only depth - if we were serious he is cut at the end of this season, Charleson I think will end up an undersized wingman and McCallum is on a knife’s edge of being delisted.

Pending K.Marshall, T.Marshall and Dixon, I would be taking the best 6’4 athlete, like Burgman, Cripps or Bont.

I have said previously I think our Midfield depth is pretty solid, we need an Ollie replacement if Mead or Drew aren’t able to evolve. But with Rozee, Butters, JHF, Wines, Drew, Mead, Burgoyne, Lorenz, Jackson, Sinn, *McIntee, *Charleson and *McCallum, with Montgomery, R.Burgoyne and Francou to join this year, a big and quick athlete who may be a Half Forward, Half Back, Wingman or a Cripps/Wines type onballer would be icing.

*** McIntee a good SANFL onballer but only depth - if we were serious he is cut at the end of this season, Charleson I think will end up an undersized wingman and McCallum is on a knife’s edge of being delisted.

Josh Smillie - Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro Position: Midfielder

Height: 194cm
In a wide open draft, Smillie's physical attributes set him apart from the other midfield prospects.
The 194cm talent has a similar frame to big-bodied midfielders such as Marcus Bontempelli and Patrick Cripps.

Harvey Langford - Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

A joint Larke Medallist alongside Leonardo Lombard, Langford has rocketed up the projected draft order after winning the award. The 190cm midfielder averaged 25 possessions, six clearances and six marks in a few extremely impressive Under 18 championships displays.

My fav key forward in the draft is Tom Sims. 199cm, aggressive, athletic, good on the lead and with a terrific leap is also good in pack situations. Not the most reliable shot on goal, but has a good looking kicking action and it seems that can be worked on. I feel he'll fill out nicely and become big and strong too. Currently being ranked/phantomed around pick 30ish.

With Marshall having strong issues with concussions and Dixon on his last legs, we should be looking to get a CHF.

If we get an early pick, I'd probably want another star midfielder but whatever is left over, unless we have really good intel on another midfielder or player who is worth going for, we should look to grab a tall goal kicking either from the draft or preferably a readymade forward like Lukosuis who is not perfect but could play the 3rd role well and could possibly play the Bergman role if he leaves to go home.
Understand what you’re saying, however Ollie Lord has done a few things and Tom Scully has been our best ‘Young’ Key Forward in the twos since Stephen Daniels or Damon White.

If we lost both Marshall and Dixon this off season, with Mitch, Sav and the other two, while we would need to develop a new forward system/structure, these is adequate depth to cover. I think Visintini could play a Marshall type hybrid role as a CHF/Ruck-Ruck/CHF. Again if we can draft one or two 6’3-6’5 nimble onballers they could play CHF in the twos while resting forward.

Josh Smillie - Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro Position: Midfielder

Height: 194cm
In a wide open draft, Smillie's physical attributes set him apart from the other midfield prospects.
The 194cm talent has a similar frame to big-bodied midfielders such as Marcus Bontempelli and Patrick Cripps.

Harvey Langford - Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

A joint Larke Medallist alongside Leonardo Lombard, Langford has rocketed up the projected draft order after winning the award. The 190cm midfielder averaged 25 possessions, six clearances and six marks in a few extremely impressive Under 18 championships displays.
Bo Allan also seems like a possibility too, has looked like a pretty solid 2-way tall midfielder based on his highlights.

Understand what you’re saying, however Ollie Lord has done a few things and Tom Scully has been our best ‘Young’ Key Forward in the twos since Stephen Daniels or Damon White.

If we lost both Marshall and Dixon this off season, with Mitch, Sav and the other two, while we would need to develop a new forward system/structure, these is adequate depth to cover. I think Visintini could play a Marshall type hybrid role as a CHF/Ruck-Ruck/CHF. Again if we can draft one or two 6’3-6’5 nimble onballers they could play CHF in the twos while resting forward.
I'm not quite as confident as you.

I'll probably leave it for the off season to see how the rest of the year goes.

I'm not quite as confident as you.

I'll probably leave it for the off season to see how the rest of the year goes.
Bigs take time and I think with our list profile, midfield depth is key for sustained success at both AFL and Reserves level, let the investments stew for a year knowing Wakelin is coming in the next draft year.

If the big athletic onballers don’t pan out, they end up good back Pockets like Burgman. Even Lachie Jones on just athletic prowess holds down a Half Forward/Half Back role.

Bigs take time and I think with our list profile, midfield depth is key for sustained success at both AFL and Reserves level, let the investments stew for a year knowing Wakelin is coming in the next draft year.

If the big athletic onballers don’t pan out, they end up good back Pockets like Burgman. Even Lachie Jones on just athletic prowess holds down a Half Forward/Half Back role.
Yeah, a big in the draft would be good but they would take a while to develop, no doubt. I think we are a bit desperate for a couple and that is why I said recently that if Lukosuis is available, we have to think about it.

I'm not as confident with the talls as you are.

Super happy with Georgiades.
I'm happy enough with Esava but it's been 3 games in the forward line. I need to see more.
Lord, apart from that one final, has not done a lot.
Scully has yet to debut and still seems to be a ways off.
Visentini is a ruck and I don't want him starting in the AFL as a tall forward.

I have no issue with picking up two 6'4" midfielders but they don't grow on trees. I love Josh Smilie. There is Bo Allan. If we grabbed them I'd be over the moon.

The club usually picks up midfielders with early picks and with picks so early, those guys have so much talent that they can make the 23 purely on talent.

Even though we are in our Premiership window, I would personally be trying to get into this draft if I was in the List Management team as it is deep draft. I would take a slight hit but hope a couple of guys could be ready quickly just based on talent.

We had a bit of a revolution within the team and a fair whack of players have stepped up and others have gone by the way side. The team has thrived without McEntee, Burton, Finlayson and Marshall. Dixon, Boak and McKenzie are closing out their careers. Dylan Williams, Tom Clurey and even Francis Evans are just hanging on.

It just might be time for a huge overhaul even though we have a good 23.

We also have a few guys coming through like Jackson, Anasta, Lorenz, etc.

A huge off season. No doubt.

My fav key forward in the draft is Tom Sims. 199cm, aggressive, athletic, good on the lead and with a terrific leap is also good in pack situations. Not the most reliable shot on goal, but has a good looking kicking action and it seems that can be worked on. I feel he'll fill out nicely and become big and strong too. Currently being ranked/phantomed around pick 30ish.
Not him being a reliable shot at goal and Port go hand in hand. He’ll fit right in.😏

But on a serious note, Port does need to draft a big tall forward who can take pack marks as well as take the No.1 defender since there are question marks on Ollie Lord and I’m not sure if Tom Scully is that type of player.

We currently have Finlayson, Marshall and Georgiades who are sort of all similar type players and both Finlayson and Marshall aren’t the the type of players who can consistently compete and bring the ball to the ground if they can’t mark it.

Georgiades makes up for his lack of height to play as the No.1 key forward with his athleticism and leap. But I don’t want him to consistently put himself in that position since he plays his best footy as the 2nd or 3rd tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not him being a reliable shot at goal and Port go hand in hand. He’ll fit right in.😏

But on a serious note, Port does need to draft a big tall forward who can take pack marks as well as take the No.1 defender since there are question marks on Ollie Lord and I’m not sure if Tom Scully is that type of player.

We currently have Finlayson, Marshall and Georgiades who are sort of all similar type players and both Finlayson and Marshall aren’t the the type of players who can consistently compete and bring the ball to the ground if they can’t mark it.

Georgiades makes up for his lack of height to play as the No.1 key forward with his athleticism and leap. But I don’t want him to consistently put himself in that position since he plays his best footy as the 2nd or 3rd tall.
This is why you'd have to leave Esava forward permanently.

I think Tom Scully will overtake Lord next year, but not sure if either will be good enough to take 1st Key Defender ever.

But I agree, we need to draft a tall at some stage and someone who already has shown some strength in contest. Charlie Nicholls, Tom Sims and Jay Polkinghorne are the ones I'd look at from 2nd round onwards. Harry Armstrong looks like top 10 easily now.

This is why you'd have to leave Esava forward permanently.

I think Tom Scully will overtake Lord next year, but not sure if either will be good enough to take 1st Key Defender ever.

But I agree, we need to draft a tall at some stage and someone who already has shown some strength in contest. Charlie Nicholls, Tom Sims and Jay Polkinghorne are the ones I'd look at from 2nd round onwards. Harry Armstrong looks like top 10 easily now.
Also Jonty Faull the Whitlock brothers and WA hard nut Kayle Gerryn, who is a forward ruck 199cm, destroyed SA at Alberton during u18s., absolute brute already.

Not him being a reliable shot at goal and Port go hand in hand. He’ll fit right in.

Finlayson is currently unsigned.

It's not like there's a likely change in Ports opinion of him over coming months.

I don't think Port are signing another deal.

Finlayson is currently unsigned.

It's not like there's a likely change in Ports opinion of him over coming months.

I don't think Port are signing another deal.
Finlayson has played mainly in the AFL side since coming over and is only 28. I doubt he is not getting another deal. Lord and Scully haven't shown enough to force him out yet.

Alix Tauru is one I want. This kids draft profile is so similar to Josh Weddle’s. The versatility he brings to Hawthorn to play just about anywhere on the field.

Finlayson has played mainly in the AFL side since coming over and is only 28. I doubt he is not getting another deal. Lord and Scully haven't shown enough to force him out yet.
Agree, Finlayson was phenomenal for most of his first season and its worth seeing if we can extract that again. And at worst he's great depth.

Most people seem to think he will go earlier, but that will push a very good player down the list. If we get and keep Melbourne's first round pick, we will get a very good player given the evenness of the top 10+

Our absolute worse outcome is we end up with Taj Hotton who could be the best kid in the draft and surprise nobody.

Rome Burgoyne very impressive in the school football grand final.

Good to hear, where does he play at that level?

On his sanfl stint, he looked like could start in a small defender spot straight away.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back