List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Logan Evans was drafted straight on to the main list already.
Its a mid-season rookie draft, I dont think he can go straight on the main list? I am not 100% sure.

This article makes it sound like he's on the rookie list:

According to the new rules we can match a bid on our NGA's anywhere in the draft as long as we have draft capital.

Previous rule was we can only match bids after pick 40

Next question, do we have the capital ? Sounds like we really need this kid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'll partially disagree on this one.

I think McKenzie, Dixon, Clurey, McEntee, McCallum, Burton should be traded or delisted. I also think there's a chance Williams gets delisted because they dont seem to rate him that much. Boak should get a contract imo, unless the dream happens and we win a flag this year in which case I see him retiring

SPP comes back on the active list which takes up a spot. I'd take Barrett, Burgoyne, Montgomery and Francou for sure but on top of that I think we should take 2 mid-late picks. I'd be looking at the likes of Josh Murphy, Charlie Nicholls, Ayden Hodgson, Jesse Dattoli, Luke Urquhart, Patrick Said, Jay Polkinghorne (personal favourite) and Jack Ough. I think any of those would be nice additions.

I agree on the fact that our first rounders shouldn't be wasted this year and if we do lose Houston, I'd like to shift those to next year if possible. I'd almost rather 2 2nd round picks than a mid-late first round pick in this draft.
Do you have any more info on Jay Polkinghorne (height/past combine results)? I haven't seen much outside a few (pretty promising) clips and couldn't really dig up too much.

Next question, do we have the capital ? Sounds like we really need this kid.

Benny Barrett is projected to go after pick 40 easily unless he starts to tear the competition (SANFL- Reserves/U18s) apart in the last few games.
This year's draft is pretty strong hence why he's ranked after the 40s.

Our current draft picks as of round 22 is pick 37, 55, 86, 104, 122.

This is all subject to change after the end of season with final position on the ladder and trades influencing picks etc.

Our later picks will be pushed forward to picks 60-70 after the matching bids from F/S & NGAs as well as clubs passing on their allocated picks that will happen towards the latter end of the draft

Benny Barrett is projected to go after pick 40 easily unless he starts to tear the competition (SANFL- Reserves/U18s) apart in the last few games.
This year's draft is pretty strong hence why he's ranked after the 40s.

Our current draft picks as of round 22 is pick 37, 55, 86, 104, 122.

This is all subject to change after the end of season with final position on the ladder and trades influencing picks etc.

Our later picks will be pushed forward to picks 60-70 after the matching bids from F/S & NGAs as well as clubs passing on their allocated picks that will happen towards the latter end of the draft

It’s all rather confusing to a novice, cheers for the heads up.

Do you have any more info on Jay Polkinghorne (height/past combine results)? I haven't seen much outside a few (pretty promising) clips and couldn't really dig up too much.

This says 192 cm, but I've watched him play a fair bit for u18s and in reserves and he looks/plays a lot taller than that. Says Charlie West is 195cm and Tallan Rosenzweig as 197cm but Polkinghorne looks taller than both so the accuracy of this is questionable. I am not even sure you could find combine results for a prospect like him that hasnt garnered much attention in the public. But sounds like clubs have an interest in him.

He's got a huge frame and his contested marked ability is super impressive. Well worth a punt

This says 192 cm, but I've watched him play a fair bit for u18s and in reserves and he looks/plays a lot taller than that. Says Charlie West is 195cm and Tallan Rosenzweig as 197cm but Polkinghorne looks taller than both so the accuracy of this is questionable. I am not even sure you could find combine results for a prospect like him that hasnt garnered much attention in the public. But sounds like clubs have an interest in him.

He's got a huge frame and his contested marked ability is super impressive. Well worth a punt

Charlie West is 195cm based of the link below. Very promising local talent and gettable with our current range of picks!
Love his competitiveness and athleticism.

Any chance we may be interested in Ned Atkinson this year? Seems a good smallish forward who has a beautiful kick for goal.

Charlie West is 195cm based of the link below. Very promising local talent and gettable with our current range of picks!
Love his competitiveness and athleticism.

SA has 4 very promising talls this year.

Polkinghorne averages 12 disposals, 2.5 goals and 3 tackles in from 6 games in a Norwood side that finished bottom at u18 level. Hasnt played league footy but played 3 reserves games where he averaged 6 disposals, 1.7 goals and 1.7 tackles.

Charlie Nicholls averages 16 disposals 1.9 goals and 1.6 tackles from 9 games at u18 level. No league games and 3 reserves game for 9 disposals, 0.7 goals and 1.3 tackles.

Charlie West averages 16 disposals, 2 goals and 1.6 tackles from 7 games at u18 level. Also played 2 league games where he was barely sighted. No reserves games this year which is strange.

Tallan Rosenzweig averages 11 disposals 2.1 goals and 1 tackles from 7 games at u18 level. No reserves or league games this year.

Out of the 4 talls in SA this year, my order of preference would be Polkinghorne, Charlie Nicholls, Charlie West and Tallan Rosenzweig. Nicholls has some nice attributes too and is a strong contest marker. Rosenzweig is perhaps more versatile.

It'll be interesting to see where these 4 go, after pumping up Polkinghorne, my guess is he doesnt get drafted lol

Any chance we may be interested in Ned Atkinson this year? Seems a good smallish forward who has a beautiful kick for goal.
Just went back to check the national and state combine lists and he was picked in either which is normally an indication that no one has interest in him.

It's a shame cause from what I've seen, I think there's some nice attributes, one being the goal kicking you mentioned but he's also a high energy player that doesn't stop running. He's kicked a fair few goals in the u18s for a small forward too. I think he's more consistent than the likes of Evan Bradley or even a general forward like Ned Bowman but perhaps lacks the x-factor that puts recruiters off? Not sure really.

Think he'd have gotten picked in last year's draft, speaks to the depth this year.

SA has 4 very promising talls this year.

Polkinghorne averages 12 disposals, 2.5 goals and 3 tackles in from 6 games in a Norwood side that finished bottom at u18 level. Hasnt played league footy but played 3 reserves games where he averaged 6 disposals, 1.7 goals and 1.7 tackles.

Charlie Nicholls averages 16 disposals 1.9 goals and 1.6 tackles from 9 games at u18 level. No league games and 3 reserves game for 9 disposals, 0.7 goals and 1.3 tackles.

Charlie West averages 16 disposals, 2 goals and 1.6 tackles from 7 games at u18 level. Also played 2 league games where he was barely sighted. No reserves games this year which is strange.

Tallan Rosenzweig averages 11 disposals 2.1 goals and 1 tackles from 7 games at u18 level. No reserves or league games this year.

Out of the 4 talls in SA this year, my order of preference would be Polkinghorne, Charlie Nicholls, Charlie West and Tallan Rosenzweig. Nicholls has some nice attributes too and is a strong contest marker. Rosenzweig is perhaps more versatile.

It'll be interesting to see where these 4 go, after pumping up Polkinghorne, my guess is he doesnt get drafted lol

Charlie Nicholls reminds me of the Todd Marshall type. Charlie West is a crash and bash type of player although wasn't as impressive in the start to mid season he is slowing lifting towards the end of season.
He has the greater ceiling plus more versatile and pinch hits in the ruck. Also did well in the speed test compared to the others in the start of the year.
Guess we'll know more by seasons end.
But Nicholls isn't as built as West and would need to hit the gym hard.
As for Rosenzweig and Polkinghore I have not real idea

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Nicholls reminds me of the Todd Marshall type. Charlie West is a crash and bash type of player although wasn't as impressive in the start to mid season he is slowing lifting towards the end of season.
He has the greater ceiling plus more versatile and pinch hits in the ruck. Also did well in the speed test compared to the others in the start of the year.
Guess we'll know more by seasons end.
But Nicholls isn't as built as West and would need to hit the gym hard.
As for Rosenzweig and Polkinghore I have not real idea
West is more AFL ready, I think Nicholls is quite different to Marshall. I'd say Nicholls is more the Tom Lynch (Richmond) sort of player. I think West's growth comes from improving on his skillset whereas most of Nicholls' growth comes from putting on some size.

Fair enough regarding the other 2, the most raw talent out of the 4 is Polkinghorne. I'm interested to see his state combine results

We need a couple of KPFs bucks on the list. It is probably our most pressing need.
It's an interesting point because as it stands we have Esava, Georgiades, Marshall, Lord, Scully, Finlayson

I think we need a KPF, maybe more if one of Marshall or Finlayson retire out of necessity. It'll depend on whether Dixon kicks on too.

One would argue we lack good quality depth in general other than HB and wing positions.

I love the idea of Charlie West with a late pick. Dude has power and presence. Is prone to disappearing in games but that's what late picks are for - I saw him have some wow moments at Alberton in the Under 18s championships, like taking half volleys cleanly at full pelt. Also went into the ruck and dominated through sheer strength, as he was beaten for height.

One to keep an eye on for sure.

I love the idea of Charlie West with a late pick. Dude has power and presence. Is prone to disappearing in games but that's what late picks are for - I saw him have some wow moments at Alberton in the Under 18s championships, like taking half volleys cleanly at full pelt. Also went into the ruck and dominated through sheer strength, as he was beaten for height.

One to keep an eye on for sure.

I dont know if others see the same comparison, but there's a lot of Darcy Fogarty in the way he plays the game.

Potential No. 1 draft pick Jagga Smith says he took plenty away from a three-week stint in the VFL where he was able to “tick off” another box in his top-age season.
The midfielder has been a dominant ball-winner in underage football this year, collecting 50 disposals in one Coates Talent League match for the Oakleigh Chargers in May.However, proving his abilities against bigger bodies in senior football had been a key focus for Smith and he was able to do that across three matches for Richmond’s VFL side.
The 18-year-old collected a game-high 31 disposals and eight clearances in his first match for the Tigers against Williamstown last month, before going on to log 27 disposals against Collingwood and 24 disposals and seven clearances against Sandringham. “I’m very grateful for Richmond giving me the opportunity to play VFL footy,”.

Potential No. 1 draft pick Jagga Smith says he took plenty away from a three-week stint in the VFL where he was able to “tick off” another box in his top-age season.
The midfielder has been a dominant ball-winner in underage football this year, collecting 50 disposals in one Coates Talent League match for the Oakleigh Chargers in May.However, proving his abilities against bigger bodies in senior football had been a key focus for Smith and he was able to do that across three matches for Richmond’s VFL side.
The 18-year-old collected a game-high 31 disposals and eight clearances in his first match for the Tigers against Williamstown last month, before going on to log 27 disposals against Collingwood and 24 disposals and seven clearances against Sandringham. “I’m very grateful for Richmond giving me the opportunity to play VFL footy,”.

The one knock is metres gained.

Absolute magnet but it's 20 metre kicks.

It's an interesting point because as it stands we have Esava, Georgiades, Marshall, Lord, Scully, Finlayson

I think we need a KPF, maybe more if one of Marshall or Finlayson retire out of necessity. It'll depend on whether Dixon kicks on too.

One would argue we lack good quality depth in general other than HB and wing positions.
Yeah, I'm not talking about depth but just good KPF in the 23. Georgiades has played really well this year and Esava has shown a bit but even with Esava, the three talls up forward is not quite there, let alone with depth.

It's weird - everyone is saying there's no clear cut number one this year, but for mine, Jagga Smith is it.

He could not have done much more to prove how good a player he is. The only reason teams might overlook him is they see a bigger ceiling in others, such as Josh Smillie and Harvey Langford being big brute midfielders or Finn O'Sullivan's younger age form suggesting higher versatility.

When I watch Jagga Smith play, I see Zak Butters. His decision-making is instant, his kicking sublime even in congested situations, seems to always make the right handball to get the ball out into space, he has that crafty ability to move through traffic with a mixture of quickness and agility and he just doesn't stop winning the ball, a total magnet.

It's weird - everyone is saying there's no clear cut number one this year, but for mine, Jagga Smith is it.

He could not have done much more to prove how good a player he is. The only reason teams might overlook him is they see a bigger ceiling in others, such as Josh Smillie and Harvey Langford being big brute midfielders or Finn O'Sullivan's younger age form suggesting higher versatility.

When I watch Jagga Smith play, I see Zak Butters. His decision-making is instant, his kicking sublime even in congested situations, seems to always make the right handball to get the ball out into space, he has that crafty ability to move through traffic with a mixture of quickness and agility and he just doesn't stop winning the ball, a total magnet.

Go to 3:40 in that video, you see a young zak butters. looks identical the way he picks the ball up and kicks it. butters had the exact same pickup against the crows in the last qtr from a centre clearence.

Yeah, I'm not talking about depth but just good KPF in the 23. Georgiades has played really well this year and Esava has shown a bit but even with Esava, the three talls up forward is not quite there, let alone with depth.
Yeah fair, I think the "depth" is there in terms of quantity. But we need a KPF like Dixon who throws his weight around. Thats either Harry Armstrong in the first round, Tom Sims in the 2nd round, Charlie West in the 3rd round or Jay Polkinghorne in the 4th round. Those would be my targets.

Agree, have had the same feeling for a while too that he's got very similar characteristics to Butters. He's been the most consistent performer this year too.

I think the reason the likes of Smilie, FOS and Langford are being spoken about as no.1 is because of the upside, more so because of their size.

But for me Jagga is becoming a clear no.1, followed by Ashcroft in an open draft

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back