No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think more than anything the GF act has to have a broad appeal to Australians. Trying to appeal to an international audience via Youtube clicks is pointless. You'll get the artists fans watching for the performance, but they won't give a shite about the event it's for. Whereas if you can draw in Aussies with fairly iconic, well-known songs amongst the Aussie populus, there's a chance you could just cause enough of a fuss to catch the attention of some non-footy folk. You need to get the whole pub or backyard BBQ talking about the performance so that the few people attending them who aren't footy fans might just start to wonder what they're missing out on.

For example the Killers have not had a hit in years and by the time they performed at the GF they were nearing your-dad's-favourite-band status. But a combination of their performance being highly-acclaimed & 'Mr Brightside' being such an iconic song (leading to the Jack Riewoldt shenanigans) was huge for the AFL and made that year's grand final and the spectacle of it more enduring and hyped than many before or since.

In short: Forget online traffic, forget relevance, and focus on what works for the sport - the fans you already have, and the non-fans most likely to be converted.

For example the Killers have not had a hit in years and by the time they performed at the GF they were nearing your-dad's-favourite-band status. But a combination of their performance being highly-acclaimed & 'Mr Brightside' being such an iconic song (leading to the Jack Riewoldt shenanigans) was huge for the AFL and made that year's grand final and the spectacle of it more enduring and hyped than many before or since.
I mean The Killers had just released an album that went to #1 in Australia, the UK and US. The Man got a load of airplay, so did Runaways from their previous album.

They hadn't faded for anywhere near as long as some other acts mentioned here.

No-ones Dad, but 2nd favourite band admittedly.

I think more than anything the GF act has to have a broad appeal to Australians. Trying to appeal to an international audience via Youtube clicks is pointless. You'll get the artists fans watching for the performance, but they won't give a shite about the event it's for. Whereas if you can draw in Aussies with fairly iconic, well-known songs amongst the Aussie populus, there's a chance you could just cause enough of a fuss to catch the attention of some non-footy folk. You need to get the whole pub or backyard BBQ talking about the performance so that the few people attending them who aren't footy fans might just start to wonder what they're missing out on.

In short: Forget online traffic, forget relevance, and focus on what works for the sport - the fans you already have, and the non-fans most likely to be converted.

Hmm, probably a weird example to pull out when KISS last year probably fit that bill more. The Killers are probably the most relevant band the AFL have had in ages. I reckon their last 'big' album at that point only came out maybe 3-4 years before that appearance.

Don't think anyone's suggested it should be about online traffic (other than the comment about Youtube views for KISS), it's about TV audience on the day. Someone like Taylor Swift or Charli XCX would get a lot of people in a demographic that would't ordinarily watch the AFL watching it.

Hmm, probably a weird example to pull out when KISS last year probably fit that bill more. The Killers are probably the most relevant band the AFL have had in ages. I reckon their last 'big' album at that point only came out maybe 3-4 years before that appearance.

Don't think anyone's suggested it should be about online traffic (other than the comment about Youtube views for KISS), it's about TV audience on the day. Someone like Taylor Swift or Charli XCX would get a lot of people in a demographic that would't ordinarily watch the AFL watching it.
I don't think it's about TV audience on the day. The AFL aren't concerned about eyeballs on the game on the day as they already know they're going to command more viewers than anything else on TV that year. It's what they do with those eyeballs that can bring more profit for the AFL long-term.

Making the AFL a spectacle, creating memorable cultural moments. That's what they're after as that brings new fans in and helps the game grow. You need legacy acts to achieve those things. A zeitgeist act won't do it.

The problem with artists relevant to the zeitgeist, like Charli XCX, is that the majority of people aren't actually in the zeitgeist. If the GF was watched purely by Charli XCX fans, then her performance would be a massive hit, complete with sing-alongs and everything. But it's not just watched by Charli XCX fans. It's watched by Drake fans. It's watched by AC/DC fans. It's watched by Johnny Cash fans. It's watched by Britney Spears fans. It's watched by Avicii fans. It's watched by Phil Collins fans (they should have their memberships revoked.)

It means you're never going to find an artist who is truly universal and who will draw maximum eyes and ears. So in the absence of that, you look for the universal music. The songs that fans of every genre know.

That's how you get the Jack Riewoldt singing Mr Brightside meme. That's how you get an entire MCG singing Angels. And they're ultimately the moments that sell the occasion to a non-fan more than anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's about TV audience on the day. The AFL aren't concerned about eyeballs on the game on the day as they already know they're going to command more viewers than anything else on TV that year. It's what they do with those eyeballs that can bring more profit for the AFL long-term.

Making the AFL a spectacle, creating memorable cultural moments. That's what they're after as that brings new fans in and helps the game grow. You need legacy acts to achieve those things. A zeitgeist act won't do it.

The problem with artists relevant to the zeitgeist, like Charli XCX, is that the majority of people aren't actually in the zeitgeist. If the GF was watched purely by Charli XCX fans, then her performance would be a massive hit, complete with sing-alongs and everything. But it's not just watched by Charli XCX fans. It's watched by Drake fans. It's watched by AC/DC fans. It's watched by Johnny Cash fans. It's watched by Britney Spears fans. It's watched by Avicii fans. It's watched by Phil Collins fans (they should have their memberships revoked.)

It means you're never going to find an artist who is truly universal and who will draw maximum eyes and ears. So in the absence of that, you look for the universal music. The songs that fans of every genre know.

That's how you get the Jack Riewoldt singing Mr Brightside meme. That's how you get an entire MCG singing Angels. And they're ultimately the moments that sell the occasion to a non-fan more than anything.
It absolutely is about viewers on the day. Strange comment. There's a reason they're considering night and twilight GFs. It's all about growing the audience and sponsorship $ that go with it.

I'm not quite sure what your point about other fans watching the GF. that literally happens every year already. I don't like KISS but still watched. The idea would be bringing in people from a demographic who wouldn't ordinarily watch.

Nfl just had a huge spike in viewership, wanna have a guess why?

F1 has become a phenomenon, is that because people who already liked it are watching it more or a new demographic discovering it?

Your point about the long term benefits is, I think, the same as mine. I'm suggesting people who like Charli XCX (as she's the go to example it seems) will both tune in on the day and after and both are what the AFL are after.

It absolutely is about viewers on the day. Strange comment. There's a reason they're considering night and twilight GFs. It's all about growing the audience and sponsorship $ that go with it.

I'm not quite sure what your point about other fans watching the GF. that literally happens every year already. I don't like KISS but still watched. The idea would be bringing in people from a demographic who wouldn't ordinarily watch.

Nfl just had a huge spike in viewership, wanna have a guess why?

F1 has become a phenomenon, is that because people who already liked it are watching it more or a new demographic discovering it?
Do you honestly believe Charli XCX or Taylor Swift fans who don't follow the AFL are going to start following it because their favourite artist performed at it for 15 minutes?

Buckleys.

The point about the other fans is that many people who watch the GF aren't necessarily AFL fans. They watch it because they're at the pub or the backyard BBQ or the MCG through tickets somehow with people who are AFL fans. The AFL-adjacent people. Those people are the AFL's gettable market.

And you've gotta sell to them a product that will draw them in. A zeitgeist act performing songs most people don't know won't achieve that; in fact it will fall flat. A legacy act performing songs everyone knows can create a moment that endures and does as good a job at selling the game long-term as anything.

Harry Mckay is out , he isn't in a band though

Do you honestly believe Charli XCX or Taylor Swift fans who don't follow the AFL are going to start following it because their favourite artist performed at it for 15 minutes?

Buckleys.

The point about the other fans is that many people who watch the GF aren't necessarily AFL fans. They watch it because they're at the pub or the backyard BBQ or the MCG through tickets somehow with people who are AFL fans. The AFL-adjacent people. Those people are the AFL's gettable market.

And you've gotta sell to them a product that will draw them in. A zeitgeist act performing songs most people don't know won't achieve that; in fact it will fall flat. A legacy act performing songs everyone knows can create a moment that endures and does as good a job at selling the game long-term as anything.
Do I honestly think every single one will? No of course not that would be silly. Does the AFL think that maybe 5% of people who have never watched afl before will continue to watch games after the GF? Sure. I think it's part of their thinking.

Who is suggesting they get someone most people don't know? Only the baron I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back