Preview 2024 AFL Season, Round 16: St Kilda Saints v Port Adelaide Power, Marvel Stadium, Sunday June 30th 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 11, 2008
Sunbury
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Sunbury Lions
St-Kilda-vs-Port-Adelaide.png
Round 16: St Kilda Saints v Port Adelaide Power
In what will be Ken Hinkleys last foray into Victoria and only Ports 3rd in 17 years vs us, it's currently 14th meets currently 8th with the Saints coming fresh off the bye after maybe kind of sort of not really trying to pinch the game with Brisbane in round 14.

Meanwhile, in the state that sometimes has to turn the lights off, can't see in front of them very well, has copious amounts of salt, and a region that everyone raves about for food and wine, we have the people pining fro SANFL glory and knifing their coach in Port who have lost their last 3, and who also should have probably lost v Hawthorn as well who are kind of crashing and burning at present outta that top 8.

It's $501 v $41 flag odds time, and despite the usual service being the Saints travelling to South Australia, this time Port get to come over so we can play them back into some form towards the pointy end of the season. To everyones surprise, we are currently favourites from the bookies at present, which means everyone prepare clean sheets as we are defecating, hard.

In the "reasons to do well" category; we tend to screw around with the ball figuring what to do more than the other mob, averaging more disposals and marks. We even the clearances with not much difference between the two.

In the "reasons we'll defecate the bed" category; They are vastly stronger in hit outs where we are weak, their losses have been against vastly superior defensive midfield groupings and, they also average more I50's than we do.

This leads one to think harken back and think "how the hell are the first mob favourites with bookies just because a plane is involved?"

Looking forward...

Crows match GWS and should lose to remain below us for next no result this week
Round 17 we should get bent over by the Swans but summarily Crows meet Brisbane in QLD so net neutral still.
We'll have to wait for round 18 where we play each other to say "I demand pick 4, give it".
So a bit of a wait for pundits hoping for the draft to then be almost immediately let down as we play the Eagles at home and Crows play the pretending Dons.

Verdict: They'll never tear us apart because you won't need them to, you're doing fine on your own.
Drumming Never Tear Us Apart GIF by Port Adelaide FC

Personally looking forward to winning at any single point in the match and this causing a torrential monsoon to rock in so the game can devolve into "which side has bigger bodied players" for Port to run away with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know that a monsoon will help them indoors.........

Ah, this'll be one of those freak instances where Laura will state how the roof needs to be open so that Port feel welcome.

Also, now that the AFL own it, I assume there'll be a leak and some manner of electrical fault will happen, either or.

Out of curiosity, what is the general feel of Port fans with Ken?

I reckon he should have been sacked at least 4 years ago.

Almost everyone wants him out, and have for a few years. The casuals have slowly been souring on him but it's taken a distinct turn after Saturdays debacle. A definitive loss this week I feel would break the dam.

Almost everyone wants him out, and have for a few years. The casuals have slowly been souring on him but it's taken a distinct turn after Saturdays debacle. A definitive loss this week I feel would break the dam.

Highly doubt you’ll get it though. We don’t have a good record against good midfields.

It's not like the St Kilda of 2024 to come up against an 'in the gun' football club.
and hopefully like the other games we play almost good enough but not really.

Port "should" win and if they don't it's more on them

A tight loss where we play really good attacking footy and Port get lucky at the end would be ideal. Then if the Crows could get their schit together...
With nine games to go there's plenty of season left. Looking at the draw it might be worth some supporters embracing the idea that we may be good in the run home and actually improve our ladder position. This would be a good thing.

Personally I'd love to do a number on Port next weekend.

With nine games to go there's plenty of season left. Looking at the draw it might be worth some supporters embracing the idea that we may be good in the run home and actually improve our ladder position. This would be a good thing.

Personally I'd love to do a number on Port next weekend.
Yeah I hear that and I'm being tongue-in-cheek to a degree, I really want a top 4 pick but also can't stand losing! Would love to smack them by 10 goals tbh.

Port are as gettable as they have been in years but they are a team we never seem to beat so it will be tough.

NWM and Webster are obvious in. Jones has to go. Ross as well but he's ahead of Jones in the pecking order so he might hold on depending who else gets dropped.

Beyond that - does Cordy get tried at FB again? Do we go with Caminiti for a full game? Or will Wilkie and Battle be fine with Arie as the 3rd?

Does Campbell stay in? Played well against Brisbane but Port's ruck isn't overly physical so we should be fine with just Marshall so maybe we make the change.

Has Phillipou done enough at Sandy in the coaches eyes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back