Autopsy 2024 AFL Season Round 17 vs Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeping that back 6 together seems like a high priority to me. Wins are great ways to bond and it should hopefully make Battle's decision harder.

Just noticed Josh even had his little daughter in the song circle ⭕️ with him.
Nah he’s not going nowhere he couldn’t do that to her.
I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but on the Channel 7 broadcast the players were standing near the race waiting for a few stragglers when the Prez beckoned Battle across. Battle ran across to have a chat and the channel 7 camera panned away. No sense of theatre! Then you saw Battle run back and the Prez had a smile. It made me think that the Prez wouldn't have done that if they hadn't already got pretty close to a decision.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but on the Channel 7 broadcast the players were standing near the race waiting for a few stragglers when the Prez beckoned Battle across. Battle ran across to have a chat and the channel 7 camera panned away. No sense of theatre! Then you saw Battle run back and the Prez had a smile. It made me think that the Prez wouldn't have done that if they hadn't already got pretty close to a decision.
Did anyone notice when Battle went forward of centre on a couple of occasions I think in the second half, that things seemed to pick up and the forward half seemed to wake up. Always seemed to be forward to me.

What was different against the Swans?

Our ball use has been improving.
IMO a lot of the reason for us scoring less in many games this year was not our gameplan, but rather too many players were missing targets by hand and foot and/or just trying to give it toa dumb option, or even worse just blind disposal.

Our disposal was certainly much improved against the Swans.

The other big factor was the ball did not waltz out of our forward line as easily as it has in many games.
1/ Because we were not just simply kicking it to defenders as much as we often have.
2/ And two our forward half pressure was much better. I think in part as we had a much more agile forward line than we have often played this year, and in part as the players were just a lot hungrier and more switched on this game.

One of the points made last night is that St Kilda are ranked 1st for scores from the back half, but a woeful last for scores from the front half.

Last night our scoring from the front half was good.

Our midfield unit was very good last night. In particular they were effective.
Congrats to Pou coming back much improved. But also Steele probably played his best game for the year. And Sincs also played one of his best midfield game ever against quality opponents. Henry was the igniter as a link man. The support cast all chipped in as well.

Howard back into the backline playing one of his best every games. This also freed up Wilkie and Battle. our backline was humming last night. It has in the main been excellent this season, but last night in was really onsong. And that was withtou Sincs!!!

All of the above translated into better ball movement AND also the opposition not getting as much easy ball movement to set up easy goals such as we have often seen in games this season.

Last edited:
Yep sorry I meant throw him there as a midfielder! Let him rack up 30 and kick goals from the midfield not as an undersized tall forward. It worked with windy it’s worked with pou let’s try it with him since he’s found it hard to thrive in his current situation
Yeah for sure. And he's done it before. He was getting like 25+ and kicking goals a couple of years ago. Some might not agree with me but i believe he has the potential to be a Mid/Fwd, doing a 60/40 or even 70/30 split. However to get to that level, he needs to learn to get more of the ball

Great win ... amazing win...never gave up!!

And FINALLY .... they got Arie kicking out from FB ... kid has a boot ... ferkin use it
Can't wait for him to spot someone unexpectedly on their own in the guts and he hits them with a 70 metre bullet to break the zone to bits.
Once he gets into the game, his boot will be an absolute weapon.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Richmond 2017?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is something that we have to be aware of. This was a great game with pretty much everyone playing well. But we're a bottom six team and need to go to the draft, nope get duped by a good performance which masks serious deficiencies.

He's just quietly become one of the premier HBs in the league. Saints seem to have to play 100 below average games to end up being disappointing heart breakers. Nas came in and played a solid first year and then from his second season seemed to be one of our best 10 players. He's the one player you'd sign up to a 10 year contract now because there aren't many better at his role and you imagine he's still got gears to go up.

I agree. I would offer NWM a very long term deal. He is a long term priority.

Not only is he classy, but he plays well every week and looks incredibly durable.

He was initially homesick when he arrived at the club but since he signed a 2 year extension there hasn’t been much said about it. Hopefully he is now happy, settled and keen to stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is SO much better than Gresham it's not funny. Robbery of a trade.

Henry trade was:
Henry, 22, makes the move to the Saints after St Kilda sent its future second-round and fourth-round picks to the Dockers, receiving Henry and Fremantle's future fourth-round pick in return.

Gresh's FA compo was used to select Collard, and so value out of that is yet to be determined.

However, yes the trade for Henry is looking to be great value.

Last edited:
You've gotta love the Prez.

What was different against the Swans?

Our ball use has been improving.
IMO a lot of the reason for us scoring less in many games this year was not our gameplan, but rather too many players were missing targets by hand and foot and/or just trying to give it toa dumb option, or even worse just blind disposal.

Our disposal was certainly much improved against the Swans.

The other big factor was the ball did not waltz out of our forward line as easily as it has in many games.
1/ Because we were not just simply kicking it to defenders as much as we often have.
2/ And two our forward half pressure was much better. I think in part as we had a much more agile forward line than we have often played this year, and in part as the players were just a lot hungrier and more switched on this game.

One of the points made last night is that St Kilda are ranked 1st for scores from the back half, but a woeful last for scores from the front half.

Last night our scoring from the front half was good.

Our midfield unit was very good last night. In particular they were effective.
Congrats to Pou coming back much improved. But also Steele probably played his best game for the year. And Sincs also played one of his best midfield game ever against quality opponents. Henry was the igniter as a link man. The support cast all chipped in as well.

Howard back into the backline playing one of his best every games. This also freed up Wilkie and Battle. our backline was humming last night. It has in the main been excellent this season, but last night in was really onsong. And that was withtou Sincs!!!

All of the above translated into better ball movement AND also the opposition not getting as much easy ball movement to set up easy goals such as we have often seen in games this season.
A great post there stfan.

As you said.....good ol Dougal played very very well as the game went on.....asisde from that dropped mark in the first that gave the Swannies a goal)

Talk about celebrating a very good game......he was even sharing the love over the fence with the Swans Cheers Squad.

Amazing.

:p:p

Hahaha don’t worry, I’ve celebrated this win as hard as any.

So bloody happy for Pou. Like many, have seen the talent and hard work, and have been waiting for a game like today to give him the confidence at the level.

As an Adelaide based Saint, I’d love nothing more than to beat the Crows
I'm really sorry. I'm heading across to the game. We have no chance.

Any Byrnes haters care to make the case to delist him after that performance? Some wonderful kicking in there as well.

It's fine to have players on your list who might not be in form enough all the time to warrant selection, but are good enough if their form warrants selection. Premiership sides are replete with them.

Nek Minnit:

“Seek confirms takeover of Cotton On”

This is something that we have to be aware of. This was a great game with pretty much everyone playing well. But we're a bottom six team and need to go to the draft, nope get duped by a good performance which masks serious deficiencies.
Excellent point, we are literally a bottom 6 team and the occasional good game doesn't cover up the absolute requirement for top end, high quality mids. The only place it seems we can get them from is the draft, and we only have one pick in the top ten.
I would hate to lose Battle, his worth in yesterday's game was for all to see, but there is no quality FA and even then we can't attract them and the AFL wont allow us to take quality assigned for the four AFL booster clubs in rugby states who can get as many NGA's as they can fit for rubbish picks AND keep their top end picks as well.

The difference between the Richmond game and last night was Saints blitzed in the first half to be 82 up at halftime. Went to sleep and won by 68.
Yesterday we went up early, got blitzed in the 2nd, fought back only for the umpires to gift Heeney two goals at the end of the third. Would have been deflating but we came out and ran over them in the 4th not allowing them to score a goal.
Yes we have deficiences, Lyon has made that loud and clear, our backline is a top four backline, our forward line is ok when Max is not there (afraid to say) but our mids are real soldiers but bottom four in the League. Steele is excellent then foot soldiers. I do however still have lots of hope for Pou, Windy, Wilson, first off and Garcia as well. If we get two top ten picks we have to nail the right wo high quality mids.

Does the reining premiers count when we beat the pies at the start of the year?!

I reckon they were a lot softer kill coming back late and not really going at the time. For pure difficulty and quality this was one of our best wins an ages. Won playing the type of footy that is enjoyable to watch and played in a noble contested way.

I can't think of a better win we've had in recent history. That's a belief builder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 AFL Season Round 17 vs Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back