Preview 2024 AFL Season, Round 19: St.Kilda vs WCE, Sat 20th of July 1:45pm AEST, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Wilson is another player who has looked tired and jaded for a number of weeks. I find it amazing that Lyon and the club dont see the need to rest these kids early into their careers. Like Phillipou last year and Owens (not 1st year) now, they have them grinding away and eventually end up losing all confidence and their form. There is no conceivable development advantage in playing kids when they are obviously in need of a rest or reset.

We have nothing to gain by playing the senior has been players at this point in the season. Particularly when we have kids playing at Sandringham who would definitely benefit from playing debut games, but they get over looked. The opposite to this was playing Collard earlier in the season, when blind freddy could tell he wasnt ready and not deserving of games. Its really poor player management IMO the club are not getting this anywhere near right.

Last edited:
Yes Arie had a good run of 4 games.

He and the coaches will all have a much better idea of what he needs to improve on now.

Over the reast of the season he has to work on that, and with preseason his pace and strength. Especially if they are looking for him to take over Battle's spot next season.
theres absolutely no way he can do battles role

Battle had to learn to become a defender too, and was not too flash when he first played there.

IF Arie is to play down back he either needs to become an intercepting third tall, hybrid like Battle, or strengthen up to become a key defender.

He is not agile enough to play on small, nor mobile enough to play like Sins or Nas.

He cannot just play in the back half as a good kick.

Battle had to learn to become a defender too, and was not too flash when he first played there.

IF Arie is to play down back he either needs to become an intercepting third tall, hybrid like Battle, or strengthen up to become a key defender.

He is not agile enough to play on small, nor mobile enough to play like Sins or Nas.

its his 4th senior game he is 195 tall/Bigger than battle- he will never me as mobile as sincs and Nas He is good overhead will put on weight obviously-i think maybe a combination of both intercept and good one on one with the bigger forwards-I am excited to see the player he will become -think we have found a ripper

Next year Im thinking Caminiti is probably the only player currently on the list capable to filling the hole immediately. Shoey will need time to develop but he has the potential to get there. But are robbing Peter to pay Paul moving Caminiti to defence time will tell I guess.

Next year Im thinking Caminiti is probably the only player currently on the list capable to filling the hole immediately. Shoey will need time to develop but he has the potential to get there. But are robbing Peter to pay Paul moving Caminiti to defence time will tell I guess.
I am someone who is very optimistic on the type of player Caminiti could turn into. He's a great athlete and is seemingly quite strong for someone his age and in his position.

I forgot where I saw it, but Hammer is in the top-10 for average contested marks for key forwards (around 1.6 per game). The blokes above him are basically the stars of the game.

Hammer's marking ability is something that stands out and is his point of difference - whether that is forward or back. If he can continue to develop his positioning and get stronger, he will turn into a very handy footballer.

It will also be interesting to see what Keeler develops into. Probably more a key position player but he could be an option in the future.

Im still hoping Arie can bulk up and turn into a Steven May-type full back. I feel like he lacks the leg speed to play 3rd tall or half back, and we already have Wilkie as the hybrid CHB. Might be getting ahead of myself, but I see a bit of May-Lever in Arie-Cole

It will also be interesting to see what Keeler develops into. Probably more a key position player but he could be an option in the future.
I want Keeler in the fwd line, feel like it’s harder to find those unicorn athletic key fwd/ruck types. He could be a genuine superstar with how unique his skill set is, just needs to put in the work

Agree I'll be disappointed if he doesnt get a look at the next level this year. I still believe he is a natural forward/ruckman but he is making a good fist of playing in defence at Sandringham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

caminiti could do howards role. not battles

Four years ago Josh Battle couldn't do Josh Battle's role, because we were messing around with him as a forward.

No reason at all why Arie or Caminiti can't fill that gap. Might take some time and patience though.
longer term maybe... next season. not a chance.

Keeler for Michito would have been a bit of fun. Owens not offering much at the moment. Put him in the centre square for Sandy. Give Keeler a chance as third tall.

Jones will just run around giving away free kicks and 50m penalties while looking non plussed....I'd prefer Seb in, if we need a senior player

First of all , why are they playing Jones ? It’s obvious the game has passed him by . I think injuries have robbed him of his pace and that was his major plus . Ross is still a much better player or try one of the younger guys for the rest of the season. Owens is going to be a star but he has had a very poor season probably because he has copped better players playing on him because the opposition saw how good he was last year and they need to shut him down .

I would have played Allison for a few games along side Membrey with Pou out injured . I know Alison has been inconsistent at Sandy but we need to see if he is worth keeping around for next season. I watched his highlights from last week and it showed what he could do so what do we lose by trying him out . And having Membrey along side him would help him learn .

I think Hammer should be playing forward as well since Max is injured for the rest of the season as he is really the only other forward who can take a pack mark apart from Marshall but we need him in the ruck .

I really hope Battle stays but i understand he will get a huge offer from another team which we can’t afford to match .

Was a real shame that Pou got injured because since he came back into the side he has been fantastic. That goal he kicked in the wet against Adelaide from the boundary line on the run was super .

Overall , given our position, it’s time to try out some younger players and forget about players who are probably going to be cut at the end of the season like Jones for example . Remember at seasons end we will have to cut four or five players before the trade period starts .

He’s very similar to Trent McKenzie early in his career. Got games because of his kick but they couldn’t quite work out where to put him because he didn’t have much else elite. Took until McKenzie’s second club for him to become properly AFL quality, hope it doesn’t take Arie that long.

Im still hoping Arie can bulk up and turn into a Steven May-type full back. I feel like he lacks the leg speed to play 3rd tall or half back, and we already have Wilkie as the hybrid CHB. Might be getting ahead of myself, but I see a bit of May-Lever in Arie-Cole
May 2 x AA Lever 1 x AA Yep that's going hard and early with a fair dash of wishful thinking

He' an accumulator, well at least his Vfl stat's show that.

First of all , why are they playing Jones ? It’s obvious the game has passed him by . I think injuries have robbed him of his pace and that was his major plus . Ross is still a much better player or try one of the younger guys for the rest of the season. Owens is going to be a star but he has had a very poor season probably because he has copped better players playing on him because the opposition saw how good he was last year and they need to shut him down .

I would have played Allison for a few games along side Membrey with Pou out injured . I know Alison has been inconsistent at Sandy but we need to see if he is worth keeping around for next season. I watched his highlights from last week and it showed what he could do so what do we lose by trying him out . And having Membrey along side him would help him learn .

I think Hammer should be playing forward as well since Max is injured for the rest of the season as he is really the only other forward who can take a pack mark apart from Marshall but we need him in the ruck .

I really hope Battle stays but i understand he will get a huge offer from another team which we can’t afford to match .

Was a real shame that Pou got injured because since he came back into the side he has been fantastic. That goal he kicked in the wet against Adelaide from the boundary line on the run was super .

Overall , given our position, it’s time to try out some younger players and forget about players who are probably going to be cut at the end of the season like Jones for example . Remember at seasons end we will have to cut four or five players before the trade period starts .
Jones fills a role, as we are short of genuine pace and run and mature bodies. He is no star, but at least in last week's game, he put his body in and got some of the ball, and players in that game who did that would please a coach considering some of the lame physical efforts by some in the second half.

Wilson is another player who has looked tired and jaded for a number of weeks. I find it amazing that Lyon and the club dont see the need to rest these kids early into their careers. Like Phillipou last year and Owens (not 1st year) now, they have them grinding away and eventually end up losing all confidence and their form. There is no conceivable development advantage in playing kids when they are obviously in need of a rest or reset.

We have nothing to gain by playing the senior has been players at this point in the season. Particularly when we have kids playing at Sandringham who would definitely benefit from playing debut games, but they get over looked. The opposite to this was playing Collard earlier in the season, when blind freddy could tell he wasnt ready and not deserving of games. Its really poor player management IMO the club are not getting this anywhere near right.
Hw do you feel about the way the club is playing Garcia, Hastie and Schoenmaker?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Season, Round 19: St.Kilda vs WCE, Sat 20th of July 1:45pm AEST, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back