Autopsy 2024 AFL Season Round 17 vs Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I keep going on Ik. I really hope Pou takes the confidence of his ‘strength’ in the contest to the last 7 weeks. He really took it up to Warner, Rowbottom and Henry at times holding his ground and winning free kicks. Against weaker midfields hopefully he’ll explode and take advantage of his size.

Best part about the whole game was Phillipou for mine. His game was all damage. Ideally in time the contested numbers go up but ball use was brilliant, had four shots on goal, to say we needed someone like that would be the biggest understatement in history. Now we just need to find a couple more.
At the start of the year I thought the midfield was not as bad as some were saying. However, I was basing that off Pou and Owens transitioning into mid roles. That hasn't happened and we lost Crouch.

A midfield next year of Steele, Pou, Owens, Windhager and hopefully Crouch is not bad. Throw Henry and Sincs in as pinch hitters it is actually potentially very good.

The lack of development from Owens and Pou as mids this year has been the biggest disappointment of the season for me. Pou is now showing he can do it.

Owens has been given no opportunity at all to develop as a proper mid. Honestly have NFI why. It's blatantly obvious he is the missing inside bull we need.

Last edited:

except its not really correct
he has played more than two good games and once again you're dribbling nonsense about a player you seem to have had an issue with since he put on our colours.

is it booze, or are you just angry normally.

kick the cat and see how that works out for you old man

Its perfectly set up for the MRO to save face and say 'I suspended him' and the tribunal to come along and turn it over cos 'Cripps' or similar.

TBH I like Heeney. Webster ain't hurt (to the point of missing games). Heeney getting suspended changes nothing for us. (we aint playing them again anytime soon) I don't really care if he gets off or not.
I care. These behind the ball foul play needs to be stamped out. He got a gift goal because of the foul play, injuring his opponent illegally.
Then while Webster was off he got another goal.
He could easily have cost us the game with this behind the play violence.
It needs to be a deterrent or otherwise the AFL condones this tactic to injure your direct opponent and receive an unfair advantage.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sho
so if that's the numbers he has played two good games since debuting and somehow has managed selection, scamming the coaches into picking him for the other 40 games lol

same
he has some good stats, i posted them a couple of weeks ago but has no defensive hard edge at all
Arie takes his spot now,easy decision for me...that backline as it was this week...is how it should stay
Schoey doesn't do what your saying Bonner don't either, though. To be fair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I care. These behind the ball foul play needs to be stamped out. He got a gift goal because of the foul play, injuring his opponent illegally.
Then while Webster was off he got another goal.
He could easily have cost us the game with this behind the play violence.
It needs to be a deterrent or otherwise the AFL condones this tactic to injure your direct opponent and receive an unfair advantage.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree in principle, but I think I've reached the point where it's just acceptance.... He's gonna get off. We're a small club we're going to get ****ed. There's no consistency, nothing from this ruling will effect any other ruling they make this year or next year. Why bother investing emotionally into it. I already do that too much with so many other aspects of this silly game.

What was different against the Swans?

Our ball use has been improving.
IMO a lot of the reason for us scoring less in many games this year was not our gameplan, but rather too many players were missing targets by hand and foot and/or just trying to give it toa dumb option, or even worse just blind disposal.

Our disposal was certainly much improved against the Swans.

The other big factor was the ball did not waltz out of our forward line as easily as it has in many games.
1/ Because we were not just simply kicking it to defenders as much as we often have.
2/ And two our forward half pressure was much better. I think in part as we had a much more agile forward line than we have often played this year, and in part as the players were just a lot hungrier and more switched on this game.

One of the points made last night is that St Kilda are ranked 1st for scores from the back half, but a woeful last for scores from the front half.

Last night our scoring from the front half was good.

Our midfield unit was very good last night. In particular they were effective.
Congrats to Pou coming back much improved. But also Steele probably played his best game for the year. And Sincs also played one of his best midfield game ever against quality opponents. Henry was the igniter as a link man. The support cast all chipped in as well.

Howard back into the backline playing one of his best every games. This also freed up Wilkie and Battle. our backline was humming last night. It has in the main been excellent this season, but last night in was really onsong. And that was withtou Sincs!!!

All of the above translated into better ball movement AND also the opposition not getting as much easy ball movement to set up easy goals such as we have often seen in games this season.
For me it was all down to a different intent from the outset. Every player body lined the ball from start to finish. The Pies game was the only one that gets close after Maso went down.
All the rest flowed from just that.
The other is there were 23 contributors all night. Defensively, there were mistakes but no squibs or lack of effort.

These words from the AFL

"....when the Swan attempted to push off Webster in a marking contest and struck the Saints defender high".

Could they coat a careless downgrade in more icing? #wegotyourbackissac

I saw the video. It looks like he goes to punch Webster in the chest who's behind him and connected with his face. A closed fist punch that would have escaped attention if it had connected with his body but he connected and probably broke his nose. 1 week was generous. Outrageous that the umpires failed to see it and let him take the mark.

Its perfectly set up for the MRO to save face and say 'I suspended him' and the tribunal to come along and turn it over cos 'Cripps' or similar.

TBH I like Heeney. Webster ain't hurt (to the point of missing games). Heeney getting suspended changes nothing for us. (we aint playing them again anytime soon) I don't really care if he gets off or not.
I care because it would be yet another case of absolute hypocrisy from the AFL. They are happy to take a stand against certain acts if it doesn’t involve their darling clubs/players but the second any one of our players are remotely out of line they throw the book at them. Happens time and time again and they keep just getting away with it. Pretty sick of their ability to consistently use their discretion when it suits them. Rules are rules. He should get at least a week and consider himself lucky it’s not more imo

Just a bit of love for Bradley Hill. Never stopped running and really rate that whenever we kick a goal, or do something good, he is the first one over celebrating it with the biggest smile! It’s not a massive thing but you can tell how much our boys love it!

It’s just the principle.
Cama rubbed out for a few barely touching Nathan Murphy, just one example of the inequities of the system.

Not unhappy Rankine is out though.

Last edited:
speaking of jimmy

just when i think he will slow down each year he just keeps putting in and is constantly solid

has to be signed and be a one club player for us
Love Jimmy.
Gives it his all and is as tenacious as a junkyard dog.
Definitely needs to be - and will be - re-signed imo.

These words from the AFL

"....when the Swan attempted to push off Webster in a marking contest and struck the Saints defender high".

Could they coat a careless downgrade in more icing? #wegotyourbackissac

Marking contest? Excuse me?
I already heard that he didn’t expect Websters head to be so low….🙄🙄🙄

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 AFL Season Round 17 vs Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back