2024 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I recon you're about right, BUT, I just think if fit, Jones has to be coming off the half back line. Before he got injured last year he gave us some real zip and precision kicking out of defence.

For mine Maric goes as sub, jones half back and reid FF with BW to the bench. Yep, gaff to the WAFL.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jones is best 22 for sure.

Jones is really quick and tackles hard . He just needs to temper his aggression as he gives away too many frees inside defensive 50 .

B Yeo Barrass Cole
HB Duggan McGovern Hunt
C Chesser Sheed Hewett
HF Ryan Allen Cripps
F Brockman Darling Maric
FOLL- Flynn Ginbey Kelly
I/C- B.Williams, Hough, Reid, Culley

I recon you're about right, BUT, I just think if fit, Jones has to be coming off the half back line. Before he got injured last year he gave us some real zip and precision kicking out of defence.

For mine Maric goes as sub, jones half back and reid FF with BW to the bench. Yep, gaff to the WAFL.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m not the biggest fan of Jones feel he butchers the ball too much. That role that he’s played off half back, you need élite decision making and foot skills and I personally think Jones is average at both.
Happy if others disagree I know some really like him. 👍🏻
Think Burgiel if he can continue to develop and stay on the park could fill that role.

I’m not the biggest fan of Jones feel he butchers the ball too much. That role that he’s played off half back, you need élite decision making and foot skills and I personally think Jones is average at both.
Think Burgiel if he can continue to develop and stay on the park could fill that role.
I think part of the problem is that we seem to be throwing him around a bit in pre-season and then shifting him back.

I'm hopeful that with some more clarity he can adjust to at least taking his time on the final disposal. He and Duggan are high meters gained, low precision big kicks and that's too many in the backline (if Duggan stays there).

I could see Jones as a territory taking winger like Ed Langdon. A run and carry, get it from the back half to the forward 50 quickly not pretty, chaos making type.

Shared mine in the Media thread - but now on topic I guess.

Here’s Round 1:

B: Liam Duggan, Tom Barrass, Tom Cole
HB: Jayden Hunt, Jeremy McGovern, Elliot Yeo
C: Brady Hough, Reuben Ginbey, Andrew Gaff
HF: Elijah Hewett, Jack Darling, Jamie Cripps
F: Liam Ryan, Oscar Allen, Noah Long
Foll: Matt Flynn, Tom Kelly, Dom Sheed
I/C: Bailey Williams, Tyler Brockman, Alex Witherden, Harley Reid
Sub: Jack Petrucelle

Next cabs off the rank - Jamaine Jones, Jake Waterman, Campbell Chesser

There will be injuries obviously - the back 6 + Witherden is pretty solid, a lot depends of how much footy Gov and Yeo miss. Hough and Ginbey will also spend time back, potentially Jones too.

The midfield is a balance I think - Kelly is easily our best mid now but it’s not really clear who our next best is - probably Yeo if he plays midfield.
As frustrated with Gaff and Sheed as a lot of people are, if we roll into the season with Tim Kelly with half an Elliot Yeo and 4 rookies, it’s going to get very ugly, very quickly. While we transition over to Hewitt/Ginbey/Reid/Chesser the older guys will play AFL footy - we just need to to find their touch again and work out the best position to get the most out of them. Not willing to put a line through Sheed just yet - he’s had no luck with his body in the last 2 seasons.

Up forward….if Ryan can stay on the park and find his spark alongside Brockman…and Darling can bounce back…it’s a decent line up. Cripps has continued to produce - also needs to stay fit but will be a good mentor for Hewett and Reid across HF. Oscar will continue to grow - god knows we need him to be an AA quality forward as soon as possible. Bailey Williams could be the wildcard up forward - no idea how successful he will be but more than likely he will push up onto a wing so hopefully he can clunk a few decent marks. Will be interesting to see how many of Williams, Darling, Maric, Waterman and J.Williams can play in the same side (with Flynn in the ruck). I’d say it’s 2 of them at most.

What I'd like to see for the majority of the year...

AFL

B: Jones Barrass Cole
HB: Duggan McGovern Hough
C: Hunt Kelly Burgiel
HF: Long Allen Cripps
F: Ryan Darling H Reid
R: Flynn Ginbey Hewett
I: B Williams Yeo Maric Petruccelle
S: Brockman
E: Hall Culley Witherden

WAFL

B: Witherden H Edwards Bazzo
HB: Rotham Jamieson Baker
C: Chesser Hall Gaff
HF: Culley A Reid Johnstone
F: Dewar J Williams Waterman
R: Livingstone L Edwards Sheed
I: Barnett Trew Rawlinson

After years of drafting too many defenders, we seem to be short of them next season lol.

J. Williams, Barnett, H. Edwards, Jamieson, A. Reid, Livingstone... The Beagles side has sooo many talls over 198, it's hard to see it actually functioning as a team if they're all fit... we don't have a Beagles 2's do we?
Plus Zane Sumich as one of our better players in the Bs too. I think Livingstone wont be in the best 22 but obviously is in frst cab off the rank otherwise.

What I'd like to see for the majority of the year...

AFL

B: Jones Barrass Cole
HB: Duggan McGovern Hough
C: Hunt Kelly Burgiel
HF: Long Allen Cripps
F: Ryan Darling H Reid
R: Flynn Ginbey Hewett
I: B Williams Yeo Maric Petruccelle
S: Brockman
E: Hall Culley Witherden

WAFL

HB: Rotham Jamieson Baker
C: Chesser Hall Gaff
HF: Culley A Reid Johnstone
F: Dewar J Williams Waterman
R: Livingstone L Edwards Sheed
I: Barnett Trew Rawlinson

After years of drafting too many defenders, we seem to be short of them next season lol.
I think people are wayyyyy too generous for Livingstone. Barnett well ahead and I also dont think Livingstone is in that best 22. For the WAFL some players who will definetly play are Nelson, Gilbee, Ruscoe and Sumich. Players like Livingstone/Dewar will be on the outer somewhat. My WAFL team would be

HB: Rotham Jamieson Nelson
C: Chesser Hall Petch
HF: Culley A Reid, Ruscoe
F: Petch, Maric, Waterman
R: Barnett Edwards Trew
I: Johnston, Sumich, Baker, Gilbee
EMG : Dewar, Rawlinson, Livingstone

Something like that. Waterman to backup ruck as a difference

I think people are wayyyyy too generous for Livingstone. Barnett well ahead and I also dont think Livingstone is in that best 22. For the WAFL some players who will definetly play are Nelson, Gilbee, Ruscoe and Sumich. Players like Livingstone/Dewar will be on the outer somewhat. My WAFL team would be

HB: Rotham Jamieson Nelson
C: Chesser Hall Petch
HF: Culley A Reid, Ruscoe
F: Petch, Maric, Waterman
R: Barnett Edwards Trew
I: Johnston, Sumich, Baker, Gilbee
EMG : Dewar, Rawlinson, Livingstone

Something like that. Waterman to backup ruck as a difference
Clearly I'm only including the AFL-listed players lol.
Injuries will happen so not all of them will be in the WAFL side each week.
Don't worry there will be plenty of room for the non-AFL listed players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best balance of development and existing best 22 round 1

B Hunt Barrass Burgiel
HB Duggan♡ McGovern Yeo
C Chesser♡ Kelly# Hough
HF Cripps Allen Ryan
F Long# Darling☆ H Ried*

Foll: Flynn☆, Ginbey♡, Hewett*

Bench: B Williams☆, Sheed, Brockman, Waterman.

Emerg: Maric, Petrucelle, Jones, Cole, Gaff

People wont like Waterman in for Maric but one is a kid in his 2nd season and Waterman from reports has come back fit and is busting a gut (pun intended). Sounds like he realises its now or never. Losing some weight may be a blessing as I thought he looked a little heavy around his hips.

The emergency list looks decent when we are fully fit.

Some real pace in those back pockets and wings.

Wouldnt be surprised if Petro gets a start ahead of Brockman either. Both forward mids but Petro showed a bit late last year playing inside mid, if he could get his possesions up to 20-25 and stick 3 -4 tackles a game he's then best 22.

The H Ried Hewett rotation combo will become one of our main weapons going forward. And Tim Kelly will love the attention shifting elsewhere.

Last edited:
Quite split on Hough being down back vs wing it looks.

Feel like it might hinge on what we do with Yeo.

I prefer Jones as a half forward also running through the midfield a bit. He's played some good games in that role, notably 2 seasons ago our season opener vs gold coast and last year vs North in round 1. I think he can be a 15+ possession 1/2 goal a game half forward with elite defensive pressure.

Permanent Backs:
McGovern, Barrass, Cole, Jones, Witherden or Bazzo

HEdwards, Rotham, Burgiel

Rotating Back/Mid:
Yeo, Ginbey, Duggan, Hough, Hunt

Permanent Mids:
Kelly, Gaff or Sheed

Chesser, LEdwards, Trew, Hall

Rotating Forward/Mid:
Cripps, Hewett, Reid, Long

Petruccelle, Culley

Permanent Forwards:
Allen, Darling, Ryan, Brockman, Waterman or Maric

JWilliams

Rucks:
Flynn, Williams

Jamieson

Players in italics should be putting pressure on those in front of them for a spot and/or be ready to step up as injury cover

WAFL/Developing:
A Reid, Johnston, Barnett, Rawlinson, Baker, Livingstone, Dewar

This group should concentrate on developing their skills in the WAFL as they’re probably short of being ready for seniors. Obviously if they perform above expectations then give them a game if there’s a spot but reality is they only play if we get struck down with injury again

It is a worry that there isnt much behind McGovern & Barrass. Hopefully Bazzo kicks on. But like so many others the last 2 years really hampered his development.

It is good that we have a few forward options.

Weapon Killers GIF by VVS FILMS

It is a worry that there isnt much behind McGovern & Barrass. Hopefully Bazzo kicks on. But like so many others the last 2 years really hampered his development.

It is good that we have a few forward options.
Don't forget Gov was a forward who got sent away for being too fat before a couple of pre-season knee injuries forced us to play him as a key back

Don't forget Gov was a forward who got sent away for being too fat before a couple of pre-season knee injuries forced us to play him as a key back

Didn’t play a game under Worsfold

Debuted in his 4th year at the club in Simpson’s first year. Played 13 games

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back