Prediction 2024 - Best 23 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s not…
There will be 5 on the bench in 2024 👍

Interesting, and if so, that changes things significantly.
With 5 on the bench, we would definitely be playing the 2 ruckman you would think.
Funnily enough, the extra player might make things harder for Silvagni to break into the team …

With 5 on the bench, we would definitely be playing the 2 ruckman you would think.
Funnily enough, the extra player might make things harder for Silvagni to break into the team …
Really depends on TDK I think, if he's stepping up then we might want him as number 1 and doing 80% of the ruck. You're not parking Pitto in the square for 60%+ of the game, just so he can cover TDK for a few minutes each quarter.

Although that's probably still the case either way, if the bench is 4+1 or 5.

Really depends on TDK I think, if he's stepping up then we might want him as number 1 and doing 80% of the ruck. You're not parking Pitto in the square for 60%+ of the game, just so he can cover TDK for a few minutes each quarter.

Although that's probably still the case either way, if the bench is 4+1 or 5.

If Pitto can put his knee issues behind him next season, he’s probably still the number one man for one more year under a 5 man bench system.
Gives TDK that one more season as second banana to fully develop before assuming the mantle.
We get torched with Silvagni in the ruck, this new system will make things difficult for him.
He’ll need to take his marking and goal kicking to another level to survive.
Hoping Lemmey and O’Keefe are smashing their off season’s.
If those 2 boys go to another level, the future looks very bright indeed …

FB: Newman Weitering Marchbank
HB: Saad Kemp McGovern

I like Kemp & Marchbank in the same side - I see them as having different strengths and not many of the typical weaknesses of tall defenders. In isolation you'd probably prefer Williams & Docherty to play in the backline, but it's strong already and I'm tempted to make use of them elsewhere.

R: Pittonet Cripps Cerra
C: Acres Hewett Walsh

Pitto still no.1 for now and prefer two rucks, ruck contest is important to a contested style of footy. Kennedy very stiff but for best 22 it's him or Hewett who offers more defensively, in practice he'll end up playing plenty.

HF: Martin McKay E.Hollands
FF: Motlop Curnow Williams

Curnow, McKay & Martin are the only I'd lock in. Weakest line. Elijah's long range goal kicking and ability overhead sees him straight in. Williams, Hollands & Martin could get midfield rotations.

INT: Cincotta De Koning Docherty Cottrell

Interchange of one from each line & a 2nd ruck, but they're pretty flexible position wise.

Funnily enough, the extra player might make things harder for Silvagni to break into the team

Long odds for him to be in the best 22 anyway I would suggest.

Hollands straight in or does he have to earn it?

B: Boyd Weitering McGovern
HB: Saad Marchbank Williams
C: Acres Cripps Hollands
HF: Martin McKay Hollands
F: Owies Curnow Motlop
OB: DeKoning Walsh Cerra
IC: Silvagni Hewett Docherty Newman
SUB: Cuningham/Cottrell

I think Hollands starts out as a forward/mid and progresses to a full time mid who spends a little bit of time forward.

Think from a team perspective we absolutely have to work harder with our run from behind the play. Run, carry and elite kicking from our defence is huge in modern football.

I still think our onball group lacks hurt factor and leg speed. Plenty of big bodies and accumulators. But it lacks players who can get the footy, run with it and generate scoring opportunities. We also lack two way run and mobility.

I think come the end of 2024 we will be chasing a mid.

Think we are going to be happy with Boyd, Saad, Williams Newman back there. The load needs to be spread and half back need to be able to rest in the back pocket and bench, they need to be able to work their guts out and have a spell.

Hewett or Kennedy will be a topic all season. We know the coach will continue to try and play them in the same team, we also know it does not work. I am thinking the answer could be neither if Hollands really gets going, he could leapfrog them both. An excess of slow, immobile one way running mids in our team has been a problem of ours.

Think Docherty will play a big part in our midfield. I like him in there, he can do the running and he's a good tackler.

DeKoning I see as taking another step. He was nearly there a lot of the time. A ruck who moves like a key position player is a real bonus for us. He does need to improve his rucking though. Think Silvagni becomes settled as a forward/ruck option.

There is going to be talk about our forward line being too big, tall and slow. The premiers won it with a smaller, faster forward line. I don't think that means you must copy them but if we aren't going well with it, there will be discussion there.

IMO there will be an auditioning for that bench onball spot. Reckon we see some development time for some players in the VFL. Binns to move from wing to onball, Durdin to move from forward pocket to onball and just see how they go. Could inject some much needed two way run, speed, agility and hurt factor to our onball group as well as getting our rotations up. But will require to do this in the VFL.

I think the two way running defensive capabilities of our half forwards also comes into account a bit for next year. The better sides have very good hard running half back lines which will need to be stopped. I take away a lot from our loss to Brisbane. Their half backs torched us with run. Their onball group was far too quick and agile and that hurt us. I think these are areas to improve on.

Our smaller forwards are going to need to be better with their two way running. Martin can when not injured. Owies and Motlop have struggled, Motlop in particular needs to get fitter. Hollands will need to be good in this area.

As for Hollands, I think he will likely fit straight in but he will likely have some strong competition from guys like Cuningham and Cottrell who are quite decent when it comes to two way run.

B: Boyd Durdin McGovern
HB: Williams Weitering Saad

Foll: TDK Hewett Walsh
C: Acres Cripps O.Hollands

HF: Docherty McKay Durdin
F: Martin Charlie Motlop

Int: Newman Cerra Owies Silvagni E.Hollands

When you can't fit in Kennedy Cottrell Marchbank Cuningham Fogarty Pittonet Binns Cowan Kemp etc, that is one heck of a side. Nothing like players fighting for spots

Then there is our draft picks, a mature depth player and possible improvement in O'Keefe Lemmey the Irishman and more

Williams Weitering Marchbank
Boyd McGovern Saad

O Hollands Hewett Acres
De Koning Cripps Walsh

Martin McKay E Hollands
Silvagni Curnow Motlop

Docherty Cerra Newman Kemp Cottrell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep - 5 on the bench instead of the sub would pretty much lock in the TDK/Pitt combo imo. But is this based on anything concrete - because I hadn't heard anything regarding this change

Hoping Hollands can become that type of player most here believe to be our missing piece of the puzzle.
The powerful mid sized half forward who hits the scoreboard and takes his turn through the midfield.
Hollands is dual sided, can goal from 50m off a step, appears to possess natural footy smarts/awareness and has that important dose of confidence about him.

Here are the guys we’re talking about :
De Goey : 188cm 93kg
Rayner : 186cm 93kg
Petracca : 187cm 94kg
Heeney : 185cm 88kg
Martin : 187cm 93kg
Zurhaar : 190cm 91kg

Hollands is listed as 189cm 86kg.

GC probably trimmed him down a bit in trying to play him on a wing so it shouldn’t be an issue developing him into that 90kg “power player” whilst maintaining good running ability.

Martin Curnow Hollands
Motlop McKay Durdin

Have a lot of faith in Durdin and Motlop forward.
Collard at around our pick would further strengthen this department …

Hoping Hollands can become that type of player most here believe to be our missing piece of the puzzle.
The powerful mid sized half forward who hits the scoreboard and takes his turn through the midfield.
Hollands is dual sided, can goal from 50m off a step, appears to possess natural footy smarts/awareness and has that important dose of confidence about him.

Here are the guys we’re talking about :
De Goey : 188cm 93kg
Rayner : 186cm 93kg
Petracca : 187cm 94kg
Heeney : 185cm 88kg
Martin : 187cm 93kg
Zurhaar : 190cm 91kg

Hollands is listed as 189cm 86kg.

GC probably trimmed him down a bit in trying to play him on a wing so it shouldn’t be an issue developing him into that 90kg “power player” whilst maintaining good running ability.

Martin Curnow Hollands
Motlop McKay Durdin

Have a lot of faith in Durdin and Motlop forward.
Collard at around our pick would further strengthen this department …
I'd love this to happen - but all the other players are really known for being very strong and explosive. At the same time, that list has often been questioned about getting aa decent tank. Petracca and Rayner in particular.

I'd love for Hollands to become the next Petracca type but I don't think it's likely.

List is in the best shape it's been since the 90s. Tough choices to be made on most lines.

Hope the best 22 gets picked on form and nothing else. Competition for spots is healthy as long as match committee don't play favourites.

Our reserves side is shaping up to be pretty damn good.

B: McGovern Weitering Newman
HB: Williams Kemp Saad
C: Docherty Cripps Acres
HF: Motlop Curnow E.Hollands
F: Fantasia McKay Martin
OB: DeKoning Cerra Walsh
IC: Cowan Hewett O.Hollands Cottrell

• Fantasia and E.Hollands come straight in if available. Both offer something we need.
  • Cowan 7th defender. Like his versality in this role. Can lockdown, intercept, rebound.
  • McKay to backup ruck allowing us to pick a 3rd winger (O.Hollands) who will also rotate at high half forward.
  • E.Hollands & Motlop to rotate onball in bursts similar to Cunners + Fog this year.
  • Cotrell to primarily play as a defensive forward

Biggest Question Marks
  • Kemp vs Marchbank vs Young for 2nd tall back. Suspect it's Kemp or Marchbank as Voss seems to like the 2nd tall being a hybrid. I prefer Kemp due to his upside but could be either.
  • Cowan vs Boyd vs Cincotta for 7th defender. I prefer Cowan due to his versatility. Could also be Kemp or Marchbank but Voss has shown he prefers not to play those 2 plus Gov if there is a decent alternative.
  • Motlop vs E.Hollands vs Fantasia vs Martin vs Fog vs Cunners vs Cotrell vs Durdin v JSOS for the small / medium forward positions. All different players but there are 4-5 spots for a mix of these guys. Only lock if fit is Martin. Could even throw O.Hollands and Binns in the mix as high forward options.
  • McKay vs JSOS vs Pittonett for 2nd ruck. I prefer McKay as it makes our side much more flexible.
  • If we play 4 main mids which other guys do we rotate through like with Fog and Cunners this year?
  • Think most our defenders, onballers and wings are locked in. Most uncertainty around the forward line.

B: McGovern Weitering Newman
HB: Williams Kemp Saad
C: Docherty Cripps Acres
HF: Motlop Curnow E.Hollands
F: Fantasia McKay Martin
OB: DeKoning Cerra Walsh
IC: Cowan Hewett O.Hollands Cottrell

• Fantasia and E.Hollands come straight in if available. Both offer something we need.
  • Cowan 7th defender. Like his versality in this role. Can lockdown, intercept, rebound.
  • McKay to backup ruck allowing us to pick a 3rd winger (O.Hollands) who will also rotate at high half forward.
  • E.Hollands & Motlop to rotate onball in bursts similar to Cunners + Fog this year.
  • Cotrell to primarily play as a defensive forward

Biggest Question Marks
  • Kemp vs Marchbank vs Young for 2nd tall back. Suspect it's Kemp or Marchbank as Voss seems to like the 2nd tall being a hybrid. I prefer Kemp due to his upside but could be either.
  • Cowan vs Boyd vs Cincotta for 7th defender. I prefer Cowan due to his versatility. Could also be Kemp or Marchbank but Voss has shown he prefers not to play those 2 plus Gov if there is a decent alternative.
  • Motlop vs E.Hollands vs Fantasia vs Martin vs Fog vs Cunners vs Cotrell vs Durdin v JSOS for the small / medium forward positions. All different players but there are 4-5 spots for a mix of these guys. Only lock if fit is Martin. Could even throw O.Hollands and Binns in the mix as high forward options.
  • McKay vs JSOS vs Pittonett for 2nd ruck. I prefer McKay as it makes our side much more flexible.
  • If we play 4 main mids which other guys do we rotate through like with Fog and Cunners this year?
  • Think most our defenders, onballers and wings are locked in. Most uncertainty around the forward line.
11 traded-in players in that lot.

B: A. Saad, J. Weitering, C. Marchbank
HB: S. Docherty, M. McGovern, Z. Williams
C: B. Acres, P. Cripps, O. Hollands
HF: J. Martin, C. Curnow, E. Hollands
F: J. Motlop, H. McKay, O. Fantasia
FOL: M. Pittonet, A. Cerra, S. Walsh
I/C: G. Hewett, T. De Koning, B. Kemp, N. Newman
SUB: M. Kennedy

EMRG: J. Silvagni, D. Cunningham, A. Cincotta, L. Fogarty, C. Durdin

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2024 - Best 23 + Emergencies - Rolling