Game Day 2024 Brownlow - AFL & Nmfc

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I can't be too excited by LDU's polling last night when I think the whole voting process is hopelessly flawed and therefore the entire award is a meaningless exercise which is mainly used these days as TV event and to promote sports gambling through the length of the season.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I can't be too excited by LDU's polling last night when I think the whole voting process is hopelessly flawed and therefore the entire award is a meaningless exercise which is mainly used these days as TV event and to promote sports gambling through the length of the season.
Gambling?

I would have thought gambling on the Brownlow would have been ceased after... Well... You know. A couple of years ago.

I'm watching "Never Mind the Buzzcocks" and I sure one of the celebrity contestants (I think his name is Youngblood) is as high as a kite.
I know the Brownlow is shit but you'd be better off just listening to the buzzcocks.

I know the Brownlow is shit but you'd be better off just listening to the buzzcocks.
I used to like the original series from 10-15 years ago, so I thought I'd give the new series a go. It wasn't great, but I chuckled a few times.

I have a couple of Buzzcocks albums but never got into them as much as a number of other artists of the period, but I did love Pete Shelley's Homosapien, One of the great songs from early '80's new Wave/New Romantic period.

Yeh yeh, we know.. BUT it was nice for some recognition even if it is absolute bollocks

Look it's not the worst thing that someone has done, and Jy was genuinely pumping up Sheez all night.

But there are so many reasons why some people don't drink, whether in general or at a particular function. Whether it be spiritual, ethical, health focus, or even just something as simple as them driving after the event, you need to support people in that decision, and in a high performance environment there's even more reason to.

Having been in that position before, it's not horrible but does make you feel like a bit of a loner when people do that to you.

Last edited:
Look it's not the worst thing that someone has done, and Jy was genuinely pumping up Sheez all night.

But there are so many reasons why some people don't drink, whether in general or at a particular function. Whether it be spiritual, ethical, health focus, or even just something as simple as them driving after the event, you need to support people in that decision, and in a high performance environment there's even more reason to.

Having been in that position before, it's not horrible but does make you feel like a bit of a loner when people do that to you.
No its not. But the campaigner as the captain was the drunk campaigner at the table. Its telling. Its not acceptable. The two premiership teams are drinking water, we are the shittest team in the comp.. GET TO ****ING WORK AND DONT BE A ****ING DRUNK GRONK. Sheeze would have had 100 blokes in his ear “why would you wanna play for that bloke, look at that mess” .. Jy is a ****ing clown..

Also, isn’t he suffering significant concussion symptoms? Why the **** is he drinking at all? Makes me wanna spew up

Don't get me wrong by the way, 18 votes for LDU this season is ridiculous too. Like, they just got lazy and gave it to the flashy stoppage midfielder in most of our games, clearly. Brent Harvey got more than 18 votes in a season once in his career, in a year where he was our best player by some distance and we won 14 games. I don't want to devalue the season LDU had, it's just that the voting is completely out of step with reality, moreso than ever.
LDU should have had more votes.

Low voting tallies aren't a good argument for anything. There are games where Carey had 20+ possessions and 4 or 5 goals and didn't get a vote. The Brownlow has always been farcical.

I like the Brownlow. Sure it’s not very reflective of the season anymore, maybe it never was since the voting has been done by the umpires for as long as I can recall. It’s just an opportunity to recap the season, debate who might win or who got stiffed. Make some jokes about it with friends. There’s other awards that are probably more accurate in highlighting the best player but I’d love to see a North player win. Still recall how flat I was when Corey missed out. Anyway, there’s my 2 cents.
Did you watch it from a two dimensional space? Cos that would be worth remembering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was being a clown, a function as the only drunk guy at the table. As the leader of the club. With a young promising leader trying to force him to drink. He can ship off and so can you. Ronald
Duck Yeah shooting for a retrospective seat on the Mayfair.

I used to like the original series from 10-15 years ago, so I thought I'd give the new series a go. It wasn't great, but I chuckled a few times.

I have a couple of Buzzcocks albums but never got into them as much as a number of other artists of the period, but I did love Pete Shelley's Homosapien, One of the great songs from early '80's new Wave/New Romantic period.
Yeah it is a good song. One I haven't thought about for decades and now I'm off to have a listen. Cheers very much.

LDU should have had more votes.

Low voting tallies aren't a good argument for anything. There are games where Carey had 20+ possessions and 4 or 5 goals and didn't get a vote. The Brownlow has always been farcical.
I know she's probably got a cauldron and a pointy hat somewhere in her house, and I wasn't around for it either, but Caro's long-standing hatred of the '74 Brownlow result loses a bit of its sting when you compare the stats. Fans would riot if that sort of result happened today, and there isn't even a team success-related argument, because, well... the two teams were neck and neck and then we lost to them.

Same goes for '77 and Matthews' equal 4th place finish after what was probably the most powerful individual season in history, but I guess he was a prick on-field, and maybe that carried over to his interactions with the umps.

Definitely an award littered with incredibly confusing results throughout its history

Last edited:
No its not. But the campaigner as the captain was the drunk campaigner at the table. Its telling. Its not acceptable. The two premiership teams are drinking water, we are the shittest team in the comp.. GET TO ****ING WORK AND DONT BE A ****ING DRUNK GRONK. Sheeze would have had 100 blokes in his ear “why would you wanna play for that bloke, look at that mess” .. Jy is a ****ing clown..

Also, isn’t he suffering significant concussion symptoms? Why the **** is he drinking at all? Makes me wanna spew up
.........campaigner?

I know its the word of choice for the resident window lickers here, but you're not overdoing it?

If Jy's behaviour was that bad last night, then you have the problem.

Blind and obnoxious
Jeepers. I don't know Jy at all - only met him a couple of times and he was polite and on the quiet side. That news is a worry tbh. There are places that you just hold a high degree of decorum, unless you are Fev.

Yeh? The media thought his behaviour wasn’t worthy of G rates TV as the camera didn’t show the table on a win and max votes? .. yeh, campaigner!
Wanna Fight Pro Wrestling GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

Edit; Random gif, but its like looking in a mirror.. this gif actually makes me *ing laugh. Hahaha. * me! Wow! Alright im not at that cut any longer but my god, those deltoids… thats me!
Are you angry about something

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Brownlow - AFL & Nmfc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back