Brownlow 2024 Brownlow - Congratulations Patrick Cripps Dual Brownlow Medallist 🏅🏅

Remove this Banner Ad

First of all well done to Crippa. Deserving winner regardless of number of votes.

What I can't understand, is how the voting has changed with more umpires. Theoretically, the more umpires, the more they see in all parts of the ground. Surely they discuss the votes as a team?

With 1 or 2 umpires, you could get a wingman like Keith Greig win, a ruckman like Dempsey or Moss, forwards like Blight, Templeton, Quinlan, defenders like Hardie. Now with 4, they just can't seem to acknowledge anything that happens outside possession numbers.

There is so many anomalies, but all of us acknowledged that TDK had a great patch before he got injured. Yet he got 1 vote? It's not like the umpires don't know who the lesser known players are - they call them all by their first names. It has just got ridiculous with the lack of effort they seem to put into it, compared to what used to happen.

First of all well done to Crippa. Deserving winner regardless of number of votes.

What I can't understand, is how the voting has changed with more umpires. Theoretically, the more umpires, the more they see in all parts of the ground. Surely they discuss the votes as a team?

With 1 or 2 umpires, you could get a wingman like Keith Greig win, a ruckman like Dempsey or Moss, forwards like Blight, Templeton, Quinlan, defenders like Hardie. Now with 4, they just can't seem to acknowledge anything that happens outside possession numbers.

There is so many anomalies, but all of us acknowledged that TDK had a great patch before he got injured. Yet he got 1 vote? It's not like the umpires don't know who the lesser known players are - they call them all by their first names. It has just got ridiculous with the lack of effort they seem to put into it, compared to what used to happen.
The TDK part is what surprised me most, as his best games arguably he was dominating as an extra mid, especially on the inside, which is what the umps seem to give votes for.

Surely they discuss at each break, my son umps in the EDFL juniors and they are advised to talk at each break and note on a pad their 4 or 5 best each quarter.
By the end of the game they refer back to those and determine the votes.
It’s not hard.

That Petty game, he was enormous in the last quarter and a half. Plucking serious contested marks from everywhere and was a big reason for the win. He wasn’t great when the game was being setup in the first half but sensational in the second half.

Actually think the umps deeply thought about influence on the result more than those racking up the numbers under their noses

Much like Lester on the weekend, he turned the game with a monster second half yet if that was the Brownlow probably wouldn’t get a vote normally. I’d have given him 3 votes

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Captain has a pearler of a year, wins the Brownlow by a mile, pundits and commentators believe the system is “broken” bahaha! You could make tripe taste good if you heaped that much salt on it.
Gerard Whatley leading the charge, unsurprisingly.
Whateley is predictable if nothing else

I didn’t think so after the CFC interview afterwards. Said he loves playing under Vossy and is a great leader of men. What was interesting in the CFC interview was that he said “we’re not far but very far. Need to get boys more consistently on the park and then anything can happen”.

That’s a jab on Russell if anything.
He loves Russell and Clarke ...

Remember Liam Pickering questioning Crippa because he thought that he didnt give enough support to (Pickering's client) David Teague?

How stupid does Pickering's look know. Cripps has won two Charlie's since Teague left.
Cripps has been an incredibly influential player in Carlton's recent history - on and off the field. He's grown so much as a player and a leader.

Wwos trying to push how odd the Brownlow count was

(Fwiw I agree. It's odd. I also think Cripps wins even if the count wasn't odd)

'Against the Dogs, he had 32 touches and kicked two goals, and was awarded 10 coaches votes.

Tom Leberatore won three votes with a 20-touch game and nine tackles, and Ryley Sanders' 22 touches earned him two votes.'

Who the **** are leberatore and Ryley Sanders

Opinion.

Blame Eddie McGuire.

It changed in 2011.

Chris Judd's unexpected, though not undeserved, win threw Eddie into a fit after his boy didn't get the chocolates in the 2010 medal. Swan certainly had a terrific 2010, winning most (if not all) of the media awards and going in red-hot favourite on Brownlow night.

But the Brownlow had often thrown up surprises. It must be remembered that (1) the umpires have a different view of the game from those of us on the sidelines; (2) it's judged differently - it is a 'fairest and best' medal, not the other way around (this emphasis has been lost in recent years, but once upon a time it was paramount); and (3), it's not the umps primary role - it's already a hard game to adjudicate, but at the end of it, the umps have to do a vote count. It's hardly surprising that sometimes the votes don't go the same way as the media polls. Chris Judd did have an excellent 2010, basically carrying an emerging Carlton side into the finals. A previous winner, in a side with few others taking votes off him (unlike Swan, who had Pendlebury scoring 21 votes), it shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone that Judd would be close to the mark.

But Eddie & co. wouldn't have it. The umps got it 'wrong'. An injustice had to be righted. And so began a six-month off-season media campaign, with the story of Swan being 'robbed' never far from the headlines.

Imagine, if you will, the effect this had on the umpiring fraternity. I don't believe the umps conspire to award (or deny) any player votes. However, I do think it's likely that umpires, seeing/reading all the press, may have had cause to doubt - to second-guess their instincts - when it came to handing out votes in 2011. Perhaps we're giving votes to Judd when we shouldn't? Are we ignoring Swan's efforts? I don't necessarily think that this was a conscious thought process, but the constant bombardment in the press must have had some effect, and I wonder if these sort of questions were in the back of their minds throughout that season.

Sure enough, it paid dividends. Chris Judd was a raging hot favourite in 2011 to go back-to-back Brownlow medals. But surprisingly, finished equal 5th, while Swan was a runaway winner on a then record 34 votes (ignoring the 76/77 medals).

Did we see the same fits of outrage after the 2011 medal? Of course not. This time, it was all about a 'wrong being put right'. But looking closer at the 2011 result, it seems to me that there is more to it than the idiosyncrasies of the Brownlow that presented Judd the medal in 2010. Swan had a mediocre first half of the season. So much so, that he was sent off to camp in Arizona mid-season for a "recovery camp". This seemed to work a treat, as his form picked up on return, and his last third of the 2011 season was scintillating. But by round 7, Swan already had 13 votes on the board. This seemed 'off'. Again, I don't think was a fix, or anything of that sort. But I think it's reasonable to assume that unconscious bias was in play, given the media hype over the previous six months. The irony of it all is that this incongruous voting probably denied Scott Pendlebury the medal, as with a more balanced view, it's likely that enough of those votes that went to Swan would have gone to Pendlebury to put him over the line.

If that had been the end of it, then that would have been fine. Judd and Swan both got medals, and while it was the wrong years, the end result seems 'fair'. Sort of.

But it wasn't the end. In my opinion, the Brownlow was broken by Eddie & co. that year, and has remained broken since. Umpires now, consciously or unconsciously, favour the 'big name mids'. It's as if their voting is taking the safe option. Once more, I don't believe this is in any way malevolent, it's not being 'rigged'. It's just a natural response to overt criticism.

So since Swan broke the vote record in 2011, it's been broken again 3 times since (Dangerfield 35, Martin & Wines 36, and now Cripps 45). Over history, winners have generally been in the early-mid 20s, breaking the 30 barrier was rare. Now, 30+ is the norm. Over nearly 100 years of the medal, just 9 players have polled 33 votes or more in a season. All of those have been since 2011. The lowest winning total over that period was Priddis with 26 (noting that Cotchin/Mitchell also won with 26, but Watson polled 30).

The medal has always been for the midfielders, it's a midfielders game. But to win the Brownlow now, you need to be a midfielder with 'presence'. The safe option for umpires to pick.

I'll be very surprised if Daicos doesn't win next year. The Pie media campaign is already in full swing, just like it was in 2010. They'll get their wish.

Cripps had an outstanding year, and was the bookies' favourite coming in to medal night. It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone that he won. But rather than celebrate a deserving winner, the focus is on the extraordinary number of votes that he polled and that somehow, this meant that Daicos was hard done by. I don't get it.

Congratulations Patrick, a thoroughly deserved win. I wish that could be the end of it, but it won't be. The Brownlow is broken.

It's a disgrace and an utter embarrassment to the AFL and now Cripps/CFC that such a media carry on is now the focus of such a prestigious award. What is even more so, is that history is repeating for such sore losers.

Collingwood people should be ashamed of themselves but unfortunately, they know no different and feel no shame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow 2024 Brownlow - Congratulations Patrick Cripps Dual Brownlow Medallist 🏅🏅

Remove this Banner Ad

Back