Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal Count - Congrats Patrick Cripps!

Who wins the 24 Chas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Good reflection of where things are at.

Cripps is the best player in the league and it is not even close.

Your coach was arguably the best player in the league at his peak and he won the Brownlow with 21 votes.

45 votes would suggest Cripps is more than twice as good as peak Voss and just had comfortably the greatest season of all time. Come on.

He didn't even win any other award (Coaches, MVP, etc). If he was comfortably the best player in the comp - it wouldn't be only the Brownlow indicating it.

The awards a sham.

Andrew Dillons wife said in the Red Carpet that she liked Bontempelli but had heard he wasn’t in the running.

Why would she say that based on his year unless Andrew Dillon had counted the votes.

Secure votes my ass.

I didn't see that part of the telecast (was not home till RD 12 of the voting) but if she said that, it smells to high heaven.

Daicos gets votes in a losing game: "This is cooked!"

Cripps gets them in a losing game: "What a champ!"

Both Cripps and Daicos are often the only ones in their team showing something when they lose.

Cripps is immense, even in losses. And he's able to get in the pack and smash his way through like it's nothing. That kind of never say die play stands out no matter the result. Absolutely makes sense that he catches the umps' eyes. As he should.

Cripps is a great player, a worthy winner, and a really good bloke. Big respect.

Ever watch Ablett, Hodge, Matthews or Bont play?

Damn this thread is so full of conspiratorial theories and accusations of rigging it might as well be a MAGA rally.

Patrick Cripps is an absolute champion and thoroughly deserves the medal for an outstanding season.

We all know the format is cooked, the reality is if this event wasn’t televised nobody would really care.

They need to come up with another system that doesn’t become so focussed on a narrative.
What would work is if they gave out votes across the round, not per game.

Very difficult to do, but it would stop situations where teams with one dominant player see that player get disproportionately high number of votes.

To poll well, you need to be best across the league that week. Very hard to do though, prob a futile exercise.

Can’t compare in my opinion. Games evolved over years, more teams more games etc. Some boffin might be able to pull out a weighted average that makes it comparable but who cares. Cripps probably deserved his win but it’s clear the voting system is an absolute joke

I mean votes for winners now has gotten insane by historic standards, but then again goal kicking tallies of the 80s and 90s look insanely high by current day standards.

TBH I don’t take the Brownlow that seriously, it’s a nice acolade and Cripps winning it twice puts him in rarified air and it’s something that will be remembered when he retires.

People were even more angry when Judd won in 2010 but no one cares about that now, just see him as a champion 2 time Brownlow winner.

Yes and I think I saw a round earlier when McKay did that with a 3 vote performance.

It looks like the umps hardly notice anything over than the midfield.
The ball is generally in the midfield most. Midfielders tend to play in...you guessed if, the midfield most...ergo the umpires tend to notice midfielders more.

No one should take the Brownlow seriously as an indicator of the best player.

I see many are melting over the result. I'm not surprised, another predictable anticlimactic result. Neale and Cripps are umpire pets. And Daicos for that matter.

I deliberately decided not to watch, wasn't interested. Get AI to determine the best player and be done with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are a mid table team or better with basically 1 midfielder much better than the others in the team, they will always poll well.
Its been the secret for winning browlows for decades, win 10 games and be your sides best mid in all of them that's 30, couple of 2s with good games in close losses and you are home.

Cripps is heaps deserving, taking nothing away from him at all, and rather him than some of the others. But if anyone was being honest, its a farce thay he got 45, and Daicos 38. It shows the umpires are likely somewhat influenced by the media. Both got votes in games there were not even in the best 5 or 8 players on the field.

In old times, umpires could identify rucks, defenders and forwards having influence. And give them votes accordingly. These days they have such narrow tunnel vision, they get caught up in who has the most possessions, and getting hyped up by certain names that get talked about. Thus they have turned it into a midfielders only award, and some players get votes based on their name for nothing games. Even with the extra eyes on the field, the standard of umpiring in general, and the Brownlow has gotten worse. Needs a touch up I reckon.

Still remember Rd 20 North vs Geelong.

Xerri absolutely dominated that game. Didn't get a vote.
LDU got a few possessions, not much impact. 1 vote.

We all know the format is cooked, the reality is if this event wasn’t televised nobody would really care.

They need to come up with another system that doesn’t become so focussed on a narrative.

The televised part is a good point. If it wasn't such a fashion event then my guess is many of the partners wouldn't be that fussed, and loads of the players then wouldn't be either.

If it keeps going like this, we're a season of Collingwood getting LTIs to De Goey and J Daicos away from Nick racking up 50.

Cripps just averaged 2 votes a game. He's good, but he's not averaging the second best performance every week out of 44-46 professional players. Without some recognition of this and maybe action taken by the AFL it's going to be a laughing stock.

Dusty 2017 will forever be the greatest polling season. Not one vote you could seriously argue was unjustified.

H&A - 30 disposals a game, 32 goals with 21 goal assists (top 5-6).

Congratulations once again to Cripps who deserved the win, just the total votes is flawed. 33 to Naicos 31 would have been much more the right votes

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal Count - Congrats Patrick Cripps!

Back