Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal Count - Congrats Patrick Cripps!

Who wins the 24 Chas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Daicos gets votes in a losing game: "This is cooked!"

Cripps gets them in a losing game: "What a champ!"

Both Cripps and Daicos are often the only ones in their team showing something when they lose.

Cripps is immense, even in losses. And he's able to get in the pack and smash his way through like it's nothing. That kind of never say die play stands out no matter the result. Absolutely makes sense that he catches the umps' eyes. As he should.

Cripps is a great player, a worthy winner, and a really good bloke. Big respect.

The problem is there are a lot of immense players who aren't getting votes for games they are BoG and win let alone polling votes in losses.

I know it's purely hypothetical, but kind of season would it take for a key forward to win the Brownlow in this day and age?

For me, they'd have to kick 100+ goals a game whilst averaging 20 odd touches.
Buddy didn’t win a Brownlow kicking a 100 + goals, no one will

83 Brownlow votes between 2 players Farce

So when is the AFL going to have the balls to turn the Brownlow into a coaches vote system?

Simply put the Brownlow tally is no longer a reflection of the genuine best/influential players and does not take into consideration intricacies of the game in relation to roles played. And it's too skewed to mid table teams with single star players.

It just feels stupid for the umps to be the vote givers and no longer holds credibility. Just change it immediately, shouldn't even be up for debate, and doubt anyone would complain. Cripps would've probable still won that too but atleast it would be a more balanced reflection of performance across the board.

I didn't see that part of the telecast (was not home till RD 12 of the voting) but if she said that, it smells to high heaven.
I’m sure someone recorded it. It was such a strange statement when he was a highly fancied favourite.

BTW I have no issue with Cripps winning it. Great player.

Just the whole medal itself has become a bit farcical. When’s the last win by a key position player?

AA is also losing its meaning. small defenders (who can actually defend) are overlooked for the best unaccountable back flanker with 25+ touches a game and forward flankers are left out for mids not good enough for mid spots. Small forwards get maybe 1 spot to accommodate a 3rd key forward and ALL bench spots are also mids not good enough for mid spots.

Wingmen are rarely recognised too.
Why don't they do two AA teams so they can lineup against each other, makes sense. After all, one team needs to play against another team, then we can have one team which is bullshit full of the best players and one team that is a real positional team. Seems like a no brainer!

I guess this is the beauty or the mystique of "Opinion Awards"

AFLMVP as voted by the Players
2024 winner: Bontempelli

AFLCA as voted by the Coaches
2024 winner: Nick Daicos

Brownlow medal as voted by umpires
Winner: Cripps
Didn’t Daicos get some very dodgy votes to win the coaches award?

This is just a joke.

At various stages this year you could mount an argument to say that Jeremy Cameron and Jesse Hogan are two of the best 5 players in the game. Not just on potential or talent etc, but on output, importance, value, whatever.

Between them, playing for two top 4 teams, they’ve managed 66 per cent of Cripps’ votes in what is the flagship award in the game 😂😂
Forwards have historically struggled to feature in the Brownlow.

As an example, I looked up Peter McKenna's three peak years. From 1970 to 72 inclusive he kicked 388 goals in H&A matches (128, 130 & 130) - including 10 hauls of 10+ goals, and another 6 hauls of 9.

His combined Brownlow votes for those three years? 25.

Last edited:
If Cripps is the best player in the competition, why he can't he get your team remotely near a Grand Final?

Because Blake Acres polled 4 votes, which was more than Curnow and De Koning combined. :p

I know it's purely hypothetical, but kind of season would it take for a key forward to win the Brownlow in this day and age?

Never going to happen. Bud last one to kick 100 imo. Need to change the format and voting.

It’s basically supposed to be the MVP. Game needs to evolve

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s good. But not that good. Neither is Daicos. Congrats but I think the umps are now only watching limited players. There are quite a few of those games where his fellow mids and a couple of large forwards were more influential and just better.

Baffles me that people can hate on a man like Patrick Cripps, one of the most genuine blokes you could find, great leader, excellent player and good at the tough stuff, plus does some super speccy things also to top it off. Just shows you how fn brain dead some footy fans can be because he plays for a team they may not like. Bizarre.

I despise Essendon, I still respect Zac Merret. Grow up people.

Umpires on the take again? I'm shocked, shocked I tells ya!

Farcical. Gamble responsibly folks....

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Votes are all tallied up ahead of time. A select few already know who wins and by how much. It’s been done for years.

The slip up was her giving away the fact Bont wasn’t in the running not that they’ve already counted the votes
Then why tell everyone they are secure? Just tell everyone they have been counted and stop with all the billshit through the night and get on with it.

Well Petracca had 21 and 5 in a game, which if he did if every game would get you to 100+ goals and averaging 20+.

But he still only got the 2 votes (albeit in a 1 point loss) to a 3-vote 35 and 1 game from an opposing mid. I'll let you guess who.

Carlton just went 13-10 and Cripps still averaged 2 votes a game - across all games, not just the wins. Pretty hard to beat that if you need to go 20 and 5 every week to even get close.

Robert Harvey got 32 votes in 1998, under this voting he would have cracked 50.
I remember that dominant season from Harvey, where it was predicted he may become only the 2nd player since 1940 to reach the magical 30 vote mark (the other being Greg Williams at his absolute peak) such was his consistent dominance.

As it turns out, Harvey broke the all time record with 32 votes, a massive 8 votes clear of 2nd, with 5 players in total getting to 20 votes.

Really indicates what a farce it has become - especially this year.

Everyone saying "no one's there to take votes off Cripps...."

In two of last couple of Cripps 3 vote games, Carlton lost both games and Nic Newman had 34 disposals and 12 marks, and 35 disposals and 16 marks and got zero votes...

Ben Cousins 20 votes won it. I remember being in awe when Judd got 30.

Cripps had a ripper season & is a deserved Brownlow winner - however not a chance he deserved 40 ****ing 5 votes. Him getting 45 has not inspired the same awe in me as Judd getting 30.
Dusty 36 in 2017 was the GOAT season and Cripps would be the first to admit he was not 9 votes better

Yep exactly, I'll give you another example.

Ablett in 2009 - had his best year for Geelong, and won by 8 votes, polling what was a then incredible 30 votes. Even though Geelong finished the season in 2nd spot, and won a lot of games, plenty of other Geelong players (rightly) got Brownlow votes (Selwood 16, Bartel 13, Chappy 12 for starters). It would be very interesting to see how many players from each club actually get votes now compared to then. Would have to be less, certainly for Carlton AND Collingwood. He played some great games of course, but no way in hell did Nick Daicos have a 38 vote game season. Sorry he just didn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal Count - Congrats Patrick Cripps!

Back