Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal Count - Congrats Patrick Cripps!

Who wins the 24 Chas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Except your team has 2 Coleman medallists and about 7 x AA’s in it.

If Cripps was as dominant a player as 45 votes suggests, Carlton don’t finish 8th and get flogged in an EF.

He was a worthy winner, but 45 votes is a joke… everyone knows that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

45 is excessive, but many of those AAs had injury interrupted years, they basically all did aside from Cripps.

The first Brownlow medal had 16 games, now we have 23 games a season, and they're talking about increasing it. Not too mention, the Brownlow medal doesn't take into account THE MOST IMPORTANT GAMES OF THE SEASON.

The Brownlow is a nice award and great accolade but does anyone genuinely think it always reflects the best player of a season?

Crippa was consensus seen as one of the top 3 or so players in the comp this season, whereas I don’t think Neale was last year or Wines in 2021. Let alone Priddis, Cooney, Libba, Couch, Woewodin etc going further back.

Going back to pre 2010 or so you had lower totals so felt like a bit more of a crap shoot of who’d win.

Except your team has 2 Coleman medallists and about 7 x AA’s in it.

If Cripps was as dominant a player as 45 votes suggests, Carlton don’t finish 8th and get flogged in an EF.

He was a worthy winner, but 45 votes is a joke… everyone knows that.

But if it was Dusty polling 45 votes, you'd have a tent pole in your jodphurs huh?

Most who support Carlton celebrate the champ, most who don't, say what a s... award it is. That's it in a nutshell.
Not the vibe I'm getting

Right result, right margin, but ugly bloated tallies

Eg Libba snr in 1990 won with just 18 votes 😯

Having 4 umps has made it worse, groupthink 👎

45 votes is a reflection of no-one else standing up in carlton, playing against other teams that played better as a team. our ladder position this year and last kind of reflects that. curnow 17 votes last year, didn't play as well this year.

Ben Cousins 20 votes won it. I remember being in awe when Judd got 30.

Cripps had a ripper season & is a deserved Brownlow winner - however not a chance he deserved 40 ****ing 5 votes. Him getting 45 has not inspired the same awe in me as Judd getting 30.
Dusty 36 in 2017 was the GOAT season and Cripps would be the first to admit he was not 9 votes better
The best way to ensure players get close to the votes they deserve is have a panel appointed that gives every player a rating out of 10 for every game they played. One of the issues is that by rewarding so few each game it exaggerates the impact of star players that don't have other star midfielder's taking votes off them. Dusty in 2017 for me was the standout as he was able to do it in a dominant team with multiple other players playing well that had Dusty not been there would have been up there or deserved winners.

As many Carlton and neutral supporters have pointed out, Cripps was always going to poll well given he had a consistent year and was Carlton's best player by distance. Also says a lot about why Carlton and Collingwood weren't at the pointy end of the season as they can have 1 player pool that many votes and then nothing. Look at the 4 preliminary finalists, Sydney's main 3 midfielders all scoring mid 20s, Port Butters and JHF over 20 with a couple others high teens, Brisbane similar. Geelong had (I think it was 6 players) with more than 15 votes. These are spreads that would have coaches happier that either Voss or McCrae.

For all the criticisms of players getting votes for relatively ordinary games one thing that needs to be remembered is that every match has the same number of votes handed out to the same number of players regardless of the quality of that game. For example if you asked 20 people to give their 3, 2, 1 from both games over the weekend I can guarantee you you'd get a wider variety of names mentioned for the Geelong vs Brisbane which was an excellent spectacle to watch than Sydney vs Port which was relatively pedestrian in comparison. This would then mean that players who had very good games in the Geelong vs Brisbane don't get votes where a lesser performance in the Sydney vs Port game would have.

I would have no problem with the Coaches Votes being the new Brownlow.

Where they don't become public throughout the year & it's read out on Brownlow night the same style.
I think the coaches hold a lot more credibility than the umpires. that's just my thoughts on a new system.

It probably won't change anyway but it wasn't always 1,2-3 system with the umps. I feel like it's outdated now.

Cripps is a terrific player. Hopefully he gets more finals opportunities to further stake his claim as a great of the game, as finals are where it’s at.

Anyone who has watched the 2024 finals series knows Isaac Heeney is the best player of 2024. I don’t care if he didn’t win the coaches award or MVP or Brownlow or the Footy Show award … I’m watching finals and have been in awe of his performances in September, and he’s easily the best player of the 2024 season, H&A and Finals combined.

I’m happy to say Cripps or Bont or Daicos are up there in H&A performances, but OVERALL for the year Heeney is in a class of his own this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost everyone would agree that Crippa is a worthy winner. Champion of a player. The only two bogus games were against Freo and the bombers but there is no denying that he was remarkably consistent.

I would have no problem with the Coaches Votes being the new Brownlow.

Where they don't become public throughout the year & it's read out on Brownlow night the same style.
I think the coaches hold a lot more credibility than the umpires. that's just my thoughts on a new system.

It probably won't change anyway but it wasn't always 1,2-3 system with the umps. I feel like it's outdated now.

Coaches are incredibly compromised towards the end of each season when it is basically public knowledge which handful of players are battling it out for the votes.

Even if it was kept confidential through the year, each coach would know.

If you are looking for a cohort of AFL people to be most susceptible to promoting their own player and not worrying about the integrity of an award you would pick the coaches.

The coaches award is meaningless when there are two players close towards the end of the year and one coach is keen to get their player over the line and the other coach is more concerned with other things.

I don’t think Cripps winning is seen as wrong, just the crazy 45 votes and general midfield centric voting which has reached new levels across the board.

Yeah agreed I think absolutely worthy winner, lots of games where he was genuinely the solo difference between a win and loss.

The 45 votes though is insane - certainly don't think it was an outright better season than Martin's 2017, or (and obviously an extra round this year but for argument's sake) a season that was 1 and a half times better than Ablett's 2009 (30 votes).

Coaches are incredibly compromised towards the end of each season when it is basically public knowledge which handful of players are battling it out for the votes.

Even if it was kept confidential through the year, each coach would know.

If you are looking for a cohort of AFL people to be most susceptible to promoting their own player and not worrying about the integrity of an award you would pick the coaches.

The coaches award is meaningless when there are two players close towards the end of the year and one coach is keen to get their player over the line and the other coach is more concerned with other things.
The coaches might know more than the public but even so, the coaches votes seem a lot more accurate to when looking at a game than looking at their votes of players.

The way it is now you're seeing player get subbed off with 15 disposals getting votes... it's hurting the credibility of the award; maybe they don't use the coaches votes as the system, but it does need a change. that is clear to everyone.

Last edited:
Your coach was arguably the best player in the league at his peak and he won the Brownlow with 21 votes.

45 votes would suggest Cripps is more than twice as good as peak Voss and just had comfortably the greatest season of all time. Come on.

Polling 45 votes doesnt mean he had the best ever season. It means he had an elite season, in a team that won a lot of games, and didnt have any other players taking votes off him.

It's the opposite at Sydney with Gulden, Heeney and Warner who shared 76 votes between them.

Our next best midfielder after Cripps is Walsh, and he had a quiet year and missed a few games (still polled 16 votes). Cerra was in and out with a Hammy, and Hewet was never gonna take any votes off Cripps.

After Cripps our best players were Weitering (and defenders never poll) McKay and Curnow (and forwards need to kick 10 to be in with a shot).

There was the one game he polled 2 votes in that he shouldnt have (19 disposals at 60 percent) but the rest of his votes were in games he was predicted to poll in.

He's a midfielder, he stands out on the ground, is a gun, and we won enough games (and he played really well in the games we lost, most of which were close losses barring Hawthorn and Sydney) for him to rack up a ton of votes.

This shit comes up every year. Same arguments every single time.

Polling 45 votes doesnt mean he had the best ever season. It means he had an elite season, in a team that won a lot of games, and didnt have any other players taking votes off him.

It's the opposite at Sydney with Gulden, Heeney and Warner who shared 76 votes between them.

Our next best midfielder after Cripps is Walsh, and he had a quiet year and missed a few games (still polled 16 votes). Cerra was in and out with a Hammy, and Hewet was never gonna take any votes off Cripps.

After Cripps our best players were Weitering (and defenders never poll) McKay and Curnow (and forwards need to kick 10 to be in with a shot).

There was the one game he polled 2 votes in that he shouldnt have (19 disposals at 60 percent) but the rest of his votes were in games he was predicted to poll in.

He's a midfielder, he stands out on the ground, is a gun, and we won enough games (and he played really well in the games we lost, most of which were close losses barring Hawthorn and Sydney) for him to rack up a ton of votes.

This shit comes up every year. Same arguments every single time.
So you have no probs with him getting 45 votes?

Crippa absolutely got 6 votes that he shouldn’t have.
Puts him on 39….oh guess what, he still wins!
EAD you Salty peeps.

Daicos got 2 votes for a game he got 15 touches and got subbed off.

His brother ran rampant with 34 touches so I think the umpires either got confused or rang it in on that one as well.

Cripps shouldnt have polled 2 votes in the game he got 19 at 60 percent, and the game where TDK was clearly the BOG was the other glaring error.

Petracca should have gotten the 3 votes for his 5 goals that nearly dragged the Dees over the line instead of Cripps (who should have gotten 2).

Even if I go back and deduct all those votes, Cripps still wins in a canter, so it's pretty moot.

The favorite won, and the second favorite came runner up. People are still gonna melt though.

So you have no probs with him getting 45 votes?

Not really. It's the same thing every year. In order to get votes you need to be:

1. A midfielder
2. A gun
3. Stand out to the umpires
4. In a side that wins enough games.
5. In a side that has no-one else getting votes from you.
6. Be your sides best player in loses, particularly close games (to pick off the 1's and 2's).

Cripps had a consistent year, as a gun midfielder, in a team with no other gun midfielders (barring Walsh who had a down year), in a side that won a lot of games, and were he did everything he could in losses (most of which were close).

That's the way it works. No defender is ever going to win it, and for a forward to get close they'd have to kick 150 goals in a season (or have every midfielder in their team be shit, yet still win enough games to poll).

The Brownlow is not 'best player in the comp' despite what the award might call itself.

Daicos got 2 votes for a game he got 15 touches and got subbed off.

His brother ran rampant with 34 touches so I think the umpires either got confused or rang it in on that one as well.

Cripps shouldnt have polled 2 votes in the game he got 19 at 60 percent, and the game where TDK was clearly the BOG was the other glaring error.

Petracca should have gotten the 3 votes for his 5 goals that nearly dragged the Dees over the line instead of Cripps (who should have gotten 2).

Even if I go back and deduct all those votes, Cripps still wins in a canter, so it's pretty moot.

The favorite won, and the second favorite came runner up. People are still gonna melt though.
He should have got just under or just over 30 votes. Getting 15 more votes than expected was a bit of a joke that detracts from the award.

Not really. It's the same thing every year. In order to get votes you need to be:

1. A midfielder
2. A gun
3. Stand out to the umpires
4. In a side that wins enough games.
5. In a side that has no-one else getting votes from you.
6. Be your sides best player in loses, particularly close games (to pick off the 1's and 2's).

Cripps had a consistent year, as a gun midfielder, in a team with no other gun midfielders (barring Walsh who had a down year), in a side that won a lot of games, and were he did everything he could in losses (most of which were close).

That's the way it works. No defender is ever going to win it, and for a forward to get close they'd have to kick 150 goals in a season (or have every midfielder in their team be shit, yet still win enough games to poll).
He got 9 more votes than any other player in 100 years. You can't tell me that is right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal Count - Congrats Patrick Cripps!

Back