Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

But honestly, do you think that's never been the case in the history of football before?

This is an utter farce.

In the past this should have been a 30 vote season at best.

We're talking about separate issues. The massive inflation of vote numbers for the superstar midfielders has been an ongoing trend for years now. Cripps getting a massive, massive number even by modern standards is what I'm explaining.

I mean, look at our own team. Butters got 29 (7 less than the previous record) and he hardly had an eye popping type season AND he's got JHF and Rozee taking votes off him.

I remember thinking after the Gather Round game against Essendon how Rozee might have a real chance in the Brownlow, he was basically varying degrees of goodish to garbage for the rest of the year.
Agree.

Thought finally! He’s arrived!

Then he never reached that standard for the rest of the year

Am I the only one who thought Brayshaw was great?
He was definitely getting his message across. On reflection I think it was great, a player being honest for once & he has every reason to be very angry.

It did take the focus off the retiring players somewhat which wasnt ideal but sometimes injustices need to be publicly called out no matter the consequences.

Went to bed early so I missed most of it. I have zero problem with Cripps winning but 45 votes is obscene. It seems like everything the umpires have a hand in is skewwiff in some way. They need an intervention.

Its clear they just give votes on name now. Sad whats happened to the Brownlow
And even then they get it wrong - giving votes to the wrong Daicos brother for example. Nick Daicos getting a vote in the game against Melbourne despite being subbed out with 15 disposals. Josh Daicos had a game-high 34 disposals got nothing.

As for Cripps 45 votes...the best player in VFL/AFL/WAFL history it seems. Rename the medal the Cripps and be done with it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how this hasnt caused more concern is beyond me, how does she get away with that remark.
Lol. The coverage was awful but that was an off the cuff innocent remark. Obviously what happened to McCarthy 12 years ago has faded from memory for many, she shouldn't be hung out to dry for that. People need to grow up, take things for what they are and not pretend to be offended, especially on someone else's behalf.

0 votes Boaky, that should make your mind up on your playing future.
We’d only have 9 players in the team if you only kept people who have a vote.

Only 4 of them had 5 or more.

Lol. The coverage was awful but that was an off the cuff innocent remark. Obviously what happened to McCarthy 12 years ago has faded from memory for many, she shouldn't be hung out to dry for that. People need to grow up, take things for what they are and not pretend to be offended, especially on someone else's behalf.
Nah you are being a dick on this one, she's lucky she wasn't interviewing Pendlebury or Boak and said something like that it would've been as awkward as hell.

There’s no doubt Maddern meant no disrespect, but some fans were still demanding an apology from Channel 7.

“Rebecca Maddern needs to apologise to John McCarthy’s family and Jamie Elliott for her insensitive comments about coming back from Vegas alive,” one wrote. “The most disgusting and heartless thing I’ve heard a ‘presenter’ say.”

“Did Rebecca Maddern just make a joke about an AFL player to “come back alive” from Vegas on a post season trip? How f**king poor taste. Expecting a full apology before the coverage is over,” added another.

“Rebecca Maddern telling Jamie Elliott to “come home alive” from Vegas is such a f**king weird thing to say on television,” wrote another.

“I can’t believe Rebecca Maddern said ‘come back alive’ to a Collingwood player going to Vegas …” added a fourth.

There’s no doubt Maddern meant no disrespect, but some fans were still demanding an apology from Channel 7.

“Rebecca Maddern needs to apologise to John McCarthy’s family and Jamie Elliott for her insensitive comments about coming back from Vegas alive,” one wrote. “The most disgusting and heartless thing I’ve heard a ‘presenter’ say.”

“Did Rebecca Maddern just make a joke about an AFL player to “come back alive” from Vegas on a post season trip? How f**king poor taste. Expecting a full apology before the coverage is over,” added another.

“Rebecca Maddern telling Jamie Elliott to “come home alive” from Vegas is such a f**king weird thing to say on television,” wrote another.

“I can’t believe Rebecca Maddern said ‘come back alive’ to a Collingwood player going to Vegas …” added a fourth.
Outrage. Outrage. Outrage!!!!!

I was thinking about a possible reason for the Brownlow becoming more and more skewed towards midfielders. The most likely reason, I think, is the need for there to be a consensus between an increasing number of field umpires for each game's votes.

More umpires on the field means that each umpire has a relatively restricted view of the game at any one time, really only crossing over at where the ball is in contest. That means that they all see the midfielders much more than any other position.

Also, needing to have them all come to agreement on to whom to give the various votes ends up in obvious compromises. It is easier to get agreement on the midfielders.

All of that is to say the award is degraded and should not be the tent-pole event the AFL and its remora of a media want to maintain.

How can you entrust the umpires to determine who’s best on ground when they can barely get a holding the ball decision right?

The Brownlow has now become a glitz & glamour award, made for the tabloids. Stick to the Coaches votes if you’re looking for a more unbiased & informed verdict of the games best.

Not just that. They're telling you that Cripps had a significantly better season than every other season by every other player in the history of football. To the tune of at least 3 extra BOG's. Absolute wankfest.

It's just a popularity contest now. Why are you people still watching this?
Why are you in this thread making comments about people watching it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back