List Mgmt. 2024 Draft Class

Remove this Banner Ad

It was certainly a tough day for key forwards given he breeze. The ball was moving everywhere. I reckon there was more stoppages in the stingrays game I watch than generally you'd find

Harvey Langford - 32 disposals, 2 goals
Jobe Shannan - 12 disposals, 4 marks
Jonty Faull - 17 disposals, 1 goal
Oliver Warburton - 32 disposals, 10 rebound 50s
Jack Whitlock - 24 disposals, 1 goal, 6 marks
Matt Whitlock - 6 disposals, 1 goal

COLLINGWOOD

Indicative Draft Order: 32, 48, 50

The Magpies would like to find a way to get back into the first round of this year’s draft, but currently hold pick 32 and don’t have a lot to play with. Their first-round pick is in possession of Fremantle, handed over as part of the trade which landed small forward Lachie Schultz at Collingwood last year. Key position players at either end of the ground could and should be a focus this year. The Magpies have primarily drafted midfielders, rebounding half-backs and small forwards in the past three drafts and have some ageing talls in Jeremy Howe (34), Mason Cox (33), Brody Mihocek (31) and Dan McStay (29). They also lost key defender Nathan Murphy to an early retirement due to concussion this year.

Victorian key forwards Jonty Faull (195cm) and Tom Sims (199cm) could come into consideration if they are still available at pick 32, with both being strong-marking goalkickers and Sims also able to provide some back-up in the ruck. Another option could be 198cm Dandenong Stingrays defender Noah Mraz, who trained with Collingwood during pre-season and models his game on captain Darcy Moore but has had an injury-interrupted 2024 campaign.

COLLINGWOOD

Indicative Draft Order: 32, 48, 50

The Magpies would like to find a way to get back into the first round of this year’s draft, but currently hold pick 32 and don’t have a lot to play with. Their first-round pick is in possession of Fremantle, handed over as part of the trade which landed small forward Lachie Schultz at Collingwood last year. Key position players at either end of the ground could and should be a focus this year. The Magpies have primarily drafted midfielders, rebounding half-backs and small forwards in the past three drafts and have some ageing talls in Jeremy Howe (34), Mason Cox (33), Brody Mihocek (31) and Dan McStay (29). They also lost key defender Nathan Murphy to an early retirement due to concussion this year.

Victorian key forwards Jonty Faull (195cm) and Tom Sims (199cm) could come into consideration if they are still available at pick 32, with both being strong-marking goalkickers and Sims also able to provide some back-up in the ruck. Another option could be 198cm Dandenong Stingrays defender Noah Mraz, who trained with Collingwood during pre-season and models his game on captain Darcy Moore but has had an injury-interrupted 2024 campaign.

Shit, you just know that Hine will have a hard on for the kid who’s been injured heaps because he has ‘untapped potential’ or some such nonsense.

COLLINGWOOD

Current draft hand:
32, 48, 50
List need: Key position talent

The Pies traded their first-rounder for Lachie Schultz last season. The oldest list in the AFL now needs to retool on the fly; the only certain round one starters under the age of 25 next year will be Nick Daicos and Beau McCreery. The good news is this draft bats deep and there's talent to snare late. Key forward Jonty Faull is a chance to fall into the 30s after an injury-interrupted campaign, but started the season as the top key forward prospect and has kicked bags of goals at various stages. Noah Mraz and Harry O'Farrell may also slide due to injuries but were considered first-round key defenders going into 2024. Looking ahead to 2025, father-son prospect Tom McGuane finished his Western Jets campaign on fire and looks a top-10 talent in 12 months time.

Jack Whitlock

Matt Whitlock

Jonty Faull

Thomas Sims

Noah Mraz. Been injured this year. But trained with the pies in the pre-season. Models his game off Darcy Moore

Sooo,
CURRENT PICKS:
32, 48, 50

HYPOTHETICALLY, If we decide to largely stick with trades for picks & DFA's:

NOBLE: 20 (Are we okay with that? Seems about right to me).
RICHARDS: 37 (Are we okay with that, or do we force PA to find a better pick?)

If we did take 20 & 37, some options:

A - 20, 32 & 37 (48 & 50 traded for 2025 points + keep 2025 1st);
or
B - 20 & 32 + (37, 48 & 50 used to trade up in this draft + keep 2025 1st)
or
C - trade 2025 1st to get into this year's 1st round + 20 & 32..

Thoughts?

(I know there are a lot of other possibilities like player swaps et cetera, but for now, with the whole finals month to wait on...).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has the AFL slipped any kind of release as to the reworking of draft points from 2025? It's frustrating not knowing what kind of hand we need to hold to bid on McGuane.

Has the AFL slipped any kind of release as to the reworking of draft points from 2025? It's frustrating not knowing what kind of hand we need to hold to bid on McGuane.
Only that selections with points will be reduced to pick 54 and 10,000 points will be stripped from the current system.

Edit: Making it harder to stockpile picks.

Only that selections with points will be reduced to pick 54 and 10,000 points will be stripped from the current system.

Edit: Making it harder to stockpile picks.
An assumed curve based on that information has been published - can't remember where I saw it, but nothing official yet.

Sims and and Mraz might still be around our current pick of 32 but I doubt the other 3 will be.
Its projected Faull will be around that mark too.
If we acquired pick 20, we could have access to one of the whitlocks, use some of the picks to move up and do a deal with someone that needs points

Rebel team mates in quarters against Falcons.

Ough, 32 D, 194 cm midfielder. Very good of late!
Hannaford, 6 G, 180 cm small forward, second five goal hall in the past month. Hard as nails, fearless, the type Hine will like late in the draft!
Faull, 4 G, 195 cm key, 22 goals in 9 games.

All represented VC this year.

Armstrong kicked another 4 for the dragons today
And the flying Viking Tauru did well again.
Might be both top 10 picks the way they are trending

Sooo,
CURRENT PICKS:
32, 48, 50

HYPOTHETICALLY, If we decide to largely stick with trades for picks & DFA's:

NOBLE: 20 (Are we okay with that? Seems about right to me).
RICHARDS: 37 (Are we okay with that, or do we force PA to find a better pick?)

If we did take 20 & 37, some options:

A - 20, 32 & 37 (48 & 50 traded for 2025 points + keep 2025 1st);
or
B - 20 & 32 + (37, 48 & 50 used to trade up in this draft + keep 2025 1st)
or
C - trade 2025 1st to get into this year's 1st round + 20 & 32..

Thoughts?

(I know there are a lot of other possibilities like player swaps et cetera, but for now, with the whole finals month to wait on...).
I'm hoping we hit this year's draft. Just feels like the right time. Trade our first into the draft.

I'm hoping we hit this year's draft. Just feels like the right time. Trade our first into the draft.
I agree.
The pundits say there are plenty of good players in this year's draft, and we want to get some good kids in before the Devils enter the competition.
Talls at both ends would be nice.

I agree.
The pundits say there are plenty of good players in this year's draft, and we want to get some good kids in before the Devils enter the competition.
Talls at both ends would be nice.
We've only been taking two kids recently, but this year I want two talls and two inside/outside runners. Cut the 22+ year old VFL players off the list - we've got a fair few of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft Class

Remove this Banner Ad

Back