List Mgmt. 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think both should go. Keath is no longer in the best 22 and we have enough back up. JJ has played 28 games in 3 years, he's consistently injured and is 33 at the end of next year. It's time to move on.

Smith, Macrae, Garcia, Rypstra, Keath, JJ and Bedendo is 7. I think you could easily pay out one or both of Scott and Baker if there's a trade or free agency target as well. Neither would be on much. Really 7 list changes isn't many, we average 8. The league average is 9.

I think you could get a similar haul to the 2014 draft given the depth of this draft. We took 8 players in this draft. Didn't have a 1st round pick and ended up with 3 premiership players and 2 All Australians. Richmond had 5 premiership players in this draft all towards the back end of the draft as well. It can be done.
Sorry, I thought you meant main draft picks.

Personally, I'd rather keep JJ, and probably add in a trade/FA somewhere. I agree we need to invest heavily in draft-age prospects but I also think we need to keep adding readymade players. The issue with lacking depth youth because of Darcy/JUH/Sanders that we have now will quickly turn into a hole in critical age brackets if we don't address it.

Sorry, I thought you meant main draft picks.

Personally, I'd rather keep JJ, and probably add in a trade/FA somewhere. I agree we need to invest heavily in draft-age prospects but I also think we need to keep adding readymade players. The issue with lacking depth youth because of Darcy/JUH/Sanders that we have now will quickly turn into a hole in critical age brackets if we don't address it.

Totally agree we need some readymade players amongst that. This is where I think we should follow the Geelong model and look for readymade state league players through the draft that aren’t just from Footscray. I was keen on Mannagh and Clohesy last year. This year I like the look of Riley Bice as a half back option and we seem to be keen on Sam Davidson who I have no idea about.

Totally agree we need some readymade players amongst that. This is where I think we should follow the Geelong model and look for readymade state league players through the draft that aren’t just from Footscray. I was keen on Mannagh and Clohesy last year. This year I like the look of Riley Bice as a half back option and we seem to be keen on Sam Davidson who I have no idea about.
... that aren't just from Footscray, AND aren't undersized mids with no standout attributes. They're the two features that often describe our failed mature aged picks.

I hope we take more then 4 picks to the draft. It's a good draft, I want at least 5. Preferably 7.
Yeah I have always said, for all our positional gaps, this draft covers them. I want to stock pile as many inside the top 40 as possible. I'd even be okay with trading any of next years picks into this one if there is a player we like. Not all will be hits, but the more picks we have in that range, the higher odds we find a gem or so.

After another great game, Hannaford is rocketing up the draft board to be a top 15 pick. He played primarily midfield and had a great game against Ashcroft etc (game high tackles & inside 50s)

His burst speed and ability to break tackles is a highlight. That, on top of his prolific games as a small forward would have him high on Bulldogs’s white board.

After another great game, Hannaford is rocketing up the draft board to be a top 15 pick. He played primarily midfield and had a great game against Ashcroft etc (game high tackles & inside 50s)

His burst speed and ability to break tackles is a highlight. That, on top of his prolific games as a small forward would have him high on Bulldogs’s white board.

I rate Hannaford higher then Gothard who went at pick 12, so I can see Hannaford going top 15. The reality is small forwards are getting taken much higher than they would be compared to years gone by and more of them are getting taken.

Here's Hannaford's game on the weekend for those that missed it

My preference assuming we take 4 picks at the draft is hotton at Cats first
Hannaford in the second round via upgrading our current first.
With Urquhart and Hargrave picked up in the 3rd/4th round.
If we take an extra late pick I'd be picking Taj Stanley.

I rate Hannaford higher then Gothard who went at pick 12, so I can see Hannaford going top 15. The reality is small forwards are getting taken much higher than they would be compared to years gone by and more of them are getting taken.

Here's Hannaford's game on the weekend for those that missed it

Looks great , good footy IQ, strong through the core and nice kick.
Hard to find any fault with those highlights.

Hannaford is exactly what we need. Competitive, quick, good tackler and sharp in front of the sticks. Happily spend a first rounder on him. Can play multiple positions as well. Best case burst mid worst case pressure forward. What are the knocks on him?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The main knocks are his ball use can be off at times and can fumble a bit. I think it’s because he plays at such a frenetic pace and with such high intensity he forgets to slow down and take a breath.

The problem is, say we somehow got both Hannaford and Berry. Both would add a lot more dynamic in our forward line. Though neither are full time MIDS, it leaves us not having addressed wings/long time centre bounce player outside of Sanders.

Given the club has prioritized the midfield this season, it would not surprise me if we passed on both for a more pure mid at our first pick. Which is why I really hope we can get a decent pick for Smith, and move some of our later picks up. So we take one of those two, and still land a decent midfielder somewhere.

I predict both Berry and Hannaford to both go inside the top 20 now anyway.

The problem is, say we somehow got both Hannaford and Berry. Both would add a lot more dynamic in our forward line. Though neither are full time MIDS, it leaves us not having addressed wings/long time centre bounce player outside of Sanders.

Given the club has prioritized the midfield this season, it would not surprise me if we passed on both for a more pure mid at our first pick. Which is why I really hope we can get a decent pick for Smith, and move some of our later picks up. So we take one of those two, and still land a decent midfielder somewhere.

I don't think we need anymore full time mids. I'd rather Sanders and Richards spend bulk time in there with a rotation of Libba, Bont and Adz. Any extra inside minutes can come from West, Harmes, Gags, West, Flea and co.
I don't like the idea of having more then one or maybe two players in the 23 who can only play inside mid with the way the game is evolving, next year we will have two with Libba and Sanders and even then Sanders was pushed to half forward this year.

Both have midfield potential. Will play fwd obviously but they can rotate through there.

Sanders, like Macrae, is midfield or VFL so it’s good to have some versatile players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we need anymore full time mids. I'd rather Sanders and Richards spend bulk time in there with a rotation of Libba, Bont and Adz. Any extra inside minutes can come from West, Harmes, Gags, West, Flea and co.
I don't like the idea of having more then one or maybe two players in the 23 who can only play inside mid with the way the game is evolving, next year we will have two with Libba and Sanders and even then Sanders was pushed to half forward this year.
Fair point. But who is going to be that burst mid that hurts you? Sanders isn't that. Richards good without being great. West is not a full time MID and slightly overrated by some. Gags and Flea to small. We need to look ahead beyond Libba and Treloar who will both retire next season or the one after. Bont is hitting 30.

Fair point. But who is going to be that burst mid that hurts you? Sanders isn't that. Richards good without being great. West is not a full time MID and slightly overrated by some. Gags and Flea to small. We need to look ahead beyond Libba and Treloar who will both retire next season or the one after. Bont is hitting 30.
I think with a full pre season as a midfielder Richards will be the one, he already did great off of limited prep. Sanders will eventually take over from Libba as the extractor. I'd much rather Hotton as a balanced HF, outside, inside mid early or Urquhart as a bull inside mid who can also play forward. Even Hannaford who looks to be best suited up forward after his last month also shown himself capable in the midfield on the weekend although undersized, I think at AFL level he'd be capable of that in spurts. Berry to me looks like someone who should stay forward, that's where he does his best work and is so dangerous there it isn't worth moving him.

The guy so nice we play him twice! ;) :grinning:

I know Hotton is highly talented but I would not spend a first on someone recovering from an ACL. Who knows how it will affect his speed and agility. I think Hannaford can be that burst mid eventually.

I feel like you can get mids later in the draft. Particularly in this draft. Swans have done it regularly with blokes like Parker and Warner. Why not us?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know Hotton is highly talented but I would not spend a first on someone recovering from an ACL. Who knows how it will affect his speed and agility. I think Hannaford can be that burst mid eventually.

It's an interesting question. But is it a furphy?

Drafters have let some good players slip, based on worries about injuries in their junior careers. Chris Judd supposedly had dicky shoulders so although rated number 1 junior he slipped to pick3. That worked out OK for West Coast. Bont supposedly had some hip problems which would affect his career. Has hardly missed a game in 10 years and is regularly rated #1 player in the comp. Further down the list we picked up Garcia in about the 3rd round after he did an ACL. We picked up Stringer at #5 when he was recovering from a smashed leg. I'm sure there are many, many such anecdotes across all clubs.

So I'm wondering. Apart from the rehab time itself have there been many (or any?) cases of a junior doing an ACL and not getting back to his pre-injury form? Have any suffered a noticeable decline in agility and speed?

Drafters have let some good players slip, based on worries about injuries in their junior careers. Chris Judd supposedly had dicky shoulders so although rated number 1 junior he slipped to pick3. That worked out OK for West Coast. Bont supposedly had some hip problems which would affect his career. Has hardly missed a game in 10 years and is regularly rated #1 player in the comp. Further down the list we picked up Garcia in about the 3rd round after he did an ACL. We picked up Stringer at #5 when he was recovering from a smashed leg. I'm sure there are many, many such anecdotes across all clubs.

So I'm wondering. Apart from the rehab time itself have there been many (or any?) cases of a junior doing an ACL and not getting back to his pre-injury form? Have any suffered a noticeable decline in agility and speed?
Have a feeling that a team with multiple first before us might go with Hotton.

Elijah Hollands comes to mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back