List Mgmt. 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

FYI

Will add a 2024 NAB Draft & Trade tracker thread, stickied.

Tag me when we have a confirmed trade/draft and I will update the thread accordingly

Isn't it funny how running ability is nearly as important as football skills.

It the same at the junior levels where I live. My son does little athletics, there are run clubs and most of the dominate juniors are parts of these clubs now. People realise time trails, cross countries etc are so important to building the base to be an AFL footballer.

Hannaford and Berry are the two we need with 17 but we might get beaten to the punch in both. GWS looking to replace their FA/trade losses this year a real risk to go for similar types to us.

They love these types sadly, but they have drafted quite a few of these over the years and have Gothard still waiting in the wings. They may want to go tall with at least one of those selections with Hogan nearly finished. The Whitlocks, Shanahan, Faull should be in the mix. I think Lindsay would be high on the list as he would be a good replacement for Perrymen/Cumming as well.

Surely we trade up to 11 or 10 with our future first this years 3rd.

I think they would want more then that.

Port apparently are open to splitting our original pick 13 from last year. I doubt they would want a future pick though. We may have to get creative.

Port Adelaide, subsequently, got its hand on the selection, ensuring it’ll return to the first round of a draft for the first time since 2021.

Whether it holds Pick 13, though, remains unlikely, with Power list boss Jason Cripps on Wednesday suggesting his club was open to splitting the selection.

The Giants (Picks 15, 16 or 21) would be well placed to satisfy Port and jump a few spots up the order, while the Tigers would have the option to offer a combination of selections (Picks 18, 20 or 23) if they liked a player. Sydney (Picks 19 and 22) and the Western Bulldogs (Picks 17, 25 and a future first-rounder) would have to be right in the mix, considering they put offers to the Suns last week when they held Pick 13 initially. Other clubs could also throw their future first-round picks at the Power.

17, 25, and a future first for 13 would be disastrous.
Yeah if we trade above 17, we need to make sure we keep 17 and 25. Surely there’s a club out there that is willing to take a future pick. Richmond is the only one that makes sense to me since they are in rebuilding period I’m sure they’d like more options in next years draft as well.

The 2024 Telstra AFL Draft will be held on Wednesday, November 20 and Thursday, November 21. The 2024 Telstra AFL Rookie Draft will follow on Friday, November 22.

Sheehan's player profiles will be released in positional groups each week ahead of the Draft. All players profiled attended the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft Combine or 2024 Telstra AFL State Draft Combine in October.

NATIONAL DRAFT COMBINE

Jaxon Artemis
State: Western Australia
State League Club: South Fremantle
Community Club: Jandakot Jets
Date of Birth: 07/02/2006
Height: 181cm

An athletic medium defender who is well-balanced and has the ability to set the game up with precise kicking from defence. Was a model of consistency at the Marsh AFL National Championships for Western Australia, averaging 16 disposals at 76 per cent efficiency and five rebound 50s. Was among his team’s best players against both Victoria Metro and Country and was rewarded with his team’s MVP award. His speed was impressive at the Telstra AFL Draft Combine, posting a time of 2.96 seconds for the 20m sprint which was ranked seventh overall.

Harry Charleson
State: Victoria Country
State League Club: GWV Rebels
Community Club: East Point
Date of Birth: 26/06/2006
Height: 183cm

A rebounding defender with a good combination of speed and endurance. His intercept ability and precise kicking contributed to his excellent year at club and representative level for the GWV Rebels and Victoria Country. Has great versatility and can play high or deep and on talls and smalls. Averaged 17.8 disposals at 79 per cent efficiency for Victoria Country across four matches at the National Championships and was prolific for the Rebels in the Coates Talent League, averaging 21.4 disposals in 16 matches to share the club's best and fairest. His agility (8.23 seconds for the AFL agility test) and endurance (6:21 seconds in the 2km time trial) were both impressive at Draft Combine testing. Is the brother of Lachie, who was drafted by Port Adelaide last year.

Angus Clarke
State: South Australia
State League Club: Glenelg
Community Club: East Gambier
Date of Birth: 02/11/2006
Height: 189 cm

Medium defender who excels in the air to intercept opposition forward thrusts and provides consistent rebound with his pinpoint kicking. Impressed for South Australia at the National Championships, averaging 17 disposals at 79 per cent efficiency, and was among his team’s best players against the Allies and Victoria Country. Played 10 games at under-18 level for Glenelg, where he averaged 16.7 disposals and five marks. His endurance and competitiveness were outstanding at the Draft Combine, with his 2km time trial effort of 6:16 in challenging windy conditions ranked third overall. Commuted weekly from the family farm at Mt Gambier to pursue his football goals.

David Colbert
State League Club: County Dublin
Community Club: Kilmacud Crokes
Date of Birth: 04/03/2004
Height: 185cm

A dual sport athlete who represented Ireland in the 2024 World Rugby U20 Championship in South Africa and is also a Gaelic football star at club and county level. He has been developing his AFL skills over the past two years and uses his explosive speed, elite step and evasive skills to break open the play. Adapted to the oval ball very quickly in tryouts at AFL clubs conducted prior to the Draft Combine and was very impressive during testing at the national Combine event, recording 2.97 seconds for the 20m sprint (ranked ninth) and an impressive 6:29 in the 2km time trial which confirmed his endurance. Is looking to follow in the footsteps of the likes of Hawthorn’s Conor Nash with his Irish heritage and elite rugby and Gaelic football background.

Lachie Jaques
State League Club: Geelong Falcons
Community Club: St Mary’s
Date of Birth: 01/06/2006

A medium defender who showed the great ability to read cues to intercept mark then use the ball with precision on the rebound. He averaged 16.2 disposals at 78.5 per cent efficiency and 4.8 marks for Victoria Country at the National Championships and won All Australian honours, with his composure a feature of his play. Was a dominant player as captain of the Geelong Falcons, averaging 23 disposals in 14 matches and capped his year with selection in the Coates Talent League Team of the Year. His time of 6:36 in the 2km time trial at the Draft Combine was a strong indication of his endurance.

Xavier Lindsay
State League Club: Gippsland Power
Community Club: Inverloch-Kongwak/Leongatha
Date of Birth: 03/08/2006
Height: 183cm

A left-footed medium defender and midfielder who displayed enormous footy nous in reading the cues to win the ball before making good decisions when distributing. A neat kick and aggressive tackler, he also showed good natural speed and agility. Was a standout at club and representative level and finished the National Championships in outstanding fashion, racking up 30 disposals against Victoria Metro which cemented All Australian honours. Starred for the Gippsland Power in the Coates Talent League, where he averaged 23 disposals across 12 matches to win the Morrish Medal as the competition’s best and fairest player. A PCL injury in the final home and away game brought a premature end to his season but he is expected to have fully recovered by December.

Eoin McEvoy
State League Club: County Derry
Community Club: Magherafelt
Date of Birth: 02/10/2003
Height: 189cm

Another Irishman looking to follow in the footsteps of recent AFL premiership players Conor McKenna, Zach Tuohy and Mark O’Connor. Gaelic footballer who has played as a key defender at senior county level for Derry. Has the ability to compete well in one-on-one contests, intercept with his anticipation and then break the lines with his pace. Has also shown an ability to hit the scoreboard with his running ability and game awareness. Was presented a Player of the Month award at national level this year as Derry won the Provincial Championships in Ulster and went deep into the All-Ireland Championships and was previously selected in the 2020 All-Ireland Under 17 team when Derry won the Championship at that level. Impressed in skill workouts with clubs before the Draft Combine and then produced a solid showing in the 2km time trial during testing with a run of 6:37.

Harrison Oliver
State: Victoria Metro
State League Club: Sandringham Dragons
Community Club: St Bedes/Mentone
Date of Birth: 15/06/2006
Height: 181cm

A composed and hard running medium defender who helped set the play up for Victoria Metro with his great decision making and precise left-foot kicking. He averaged 16.2 disposals at 83 per cent efficiency and 3.2 tackles across four matches at the National Championships, with his speed also a weapon in breaking the lines. Was rewarded with All Australian honours and capped a great year with a premiership win for the Sandringham Dragons, where he was also selected in the Coates Talent League Team of the Year. Didn’t take part in physical testing at the Draft Combine due to illness.

Tobie Travaglia
State League Club: Bendigo Pioneers
Community Club: Sandhurst
Date of Birth: 26/10/2006
Height: 187cm

An athletic defender who had an outstanding year at club and representative levels. His ability to intercept using his closing speed aerial presence and competitiveness stood out across the season. Was a key in setting the play up for Victoria Country during the National Championships, averaging 21.8 disposals at 85 per cent efficiency and 6.2 marks. Produced dominant games against South Australia and Victoria Metro and placed fifth in the Larke Medal with 15 votes, while also earning All Australian selection. Also produced strong displays against senior opposition when playing with the Australia U18 team and Carlton’s VFL outfit. That came off the back of strong form for the Bendigo Pioneers in the Coates Talent League, where he averaged 24 disposals in 12 matches to earn Team of the Year selection. Finished second in the 2km time trial at the Draft Combine with a time of 6:13.

Oliver Warburton
State League Club: Murray Bushrangers
Community Club: Shepparton Swans
Date of Birth: 13/06/2006

A versatile defender and midfielder who finds the footy in any role he plays then uses his speed and neat disposals skills to create opportunities for his team. Was a model of consistency for Victoria Country at the National Championships, averaging 18.5 disposals at 82 per cent efficiency and was prolific in seven appearances for the Murray Bushrangers, averaging 26 disposals. Recorded a solid 6:47 for the 2km trial at the Draft Combine.

17, 25, and a future first for 13 would be disastrous.
I don't think that's the implication of a deal. More than those are our assets that could be used as part of a deal.

The cost of moving our F1 into the first round of the 2024 draft might well cost us pick 25 (leaving 17 untouched). I personally wouldn't complete that deal but there does seem to be a premium on current picks compared to future ones.

Lukas Eagleton and an academy kid or two, don’t know if any are rated particularly high. 2026 is the year with Cooney and West.
Thanks, with the circus in our trading, I haven’t paid much attention to the draft.

Hannaford and Berry are the two we need with 17 but we might get beaten to the punch in both. GWS looking to replace their FA/trade losses this year a real risk to go for similar types to us.
Hannaford's 2km time trial was pretty poor. That may rule him out of our thinking.

Isn't it funny how running ability is nearly as important as football skills.

It the same at the junior levels where I live. My son does little athletics, there are run clubs and most of the dominate juniors are parts of these clubs now. People realise time trails, cross countries etc are so important to building the base to be an AFL footballer.
It's all about getting to contests and being able to contribute an over the ground. Nick Riewoldt changed the CHF position with his tank, and guys like Robert Harvey and Shane Crawford were cardio animals.

These days with interchange caps it matters even more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t be surprised if the cost of 13 was 25 and our F1. Maybe with their pick 50 coming back to us. I personally wouldn’t do that.

If it was our F1 and 35 I would, though. 13, 17, 25 and 47 would be a good little haul, with three picks in the juicy part of the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back