2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

He looks really good .... great decision maker, great skills, good size and can move .... could he eventually go through the middle?

Local boy as well

If he is there at one of our picks I would seriously consider
It’s funny that getting an 18yo version of Battle with the compo pick he will provide us makes feel a little nauseous. And yet, he’s a beauty. Can we take two mids and then trade a F1 in and take him there? Even if it’s 1 pick later, it’s then not a Battle for Battle swap 😄

He looks really good .... great decision maker, great skills, good size and can move .... could he eventually go through the middle?

Local boy as well

Yeah when I first watched him I had that thought about the midfield too but I think he'd need a lot of development in the contest to make that happen. Would prefer a pure mid but could be a case of take best available and solve the need in the second round

Local boy as well

If we grabbed Trainor for the Battle compo it could be a super smart piece of business. Only if we can actually use the Battle money on bringing someone (hopefully a gun young mid like Brayshaw or Finn) in.

As for comparisons to Trainor, I watched a lot of Weitering in his draft year and they are very similar as 17 year olds. Can also see a bit of Curtain there too. We need a grade talent, I was all for getting mids, but if he is best available it will be an interesting call on draft night.

With school footy done for the year the APS boys are all back in the Talent League and gearing up for a big finals campaign to finish off season 2024. Murphy Reid celebrated his return with a massive game, finding the footy all over the ground and demonstrating his poise and confidence with the ball in hand. Sandy will be pushing to make it three Talent League titles in a row and Murphy will be in the thick of it.

Here's a curve ball in the scenario where Suns finish below us and hand 5 to the Tiges.

Would you trade 6 and 7 along with next year's first for 1 and 5? I think I would do it and back ourselves in to improve for 2025.
I would yeah but I don't think the Tigers would do that especially if they are keen on FOS

If we do it, we'd need to find another way back into next year's draft whether 2026's pick comes into play next year or if we trade a player

I was just looking at the draft points and Gold Coast have a total of 5670 points with their picks. Lets say Lombard is bid on at pick 5 (points 1878) the most likely club for GCS to trade their pick is with Richmond (total points 5948), who have a miriad of late picks and GCS wanting to get Daniel Rioli up there.

Richmond are going to really set up how the trade and draft will look this year. If they lose Rioli to GCS say #13 or #20, Baker to WCE say pick #23 plus, and Bolton to Fremantle say pick #10 or #17 plus. Then after trading with GCS and the other clubs they could enter the draft with something like picks - #1, #5, #10, #13, #21, #23 & #30. Obviously depending on what other players they might target trade wise.

So if hyperthetically Richmond end up with GCS pick #5 who will they be looking at? I think with their array of picks they will go 2 x midfielders with their first two picks (#1 & #5), they can then start looking at the tall forwards etc following. There are lots of possibilities of who will be taken before our pick/s, as apart from North's draft pick I think the remainder of the top 6-7 picks will all be midfielders.

It will be interesting just sitting back to see how Richmond navigate this years trade and draft periods! If they lose all the talent touted to want trades, they are going to bottom out big time over the next few years. If I was running their list rebuild I would be asking for players in return with the trading clubs eg GCS Moyle/Lukosious, WCE Culley, Fremantle Bandfield/Sturt.
Doubtless you're right, Rich, GC and Freo will dominate the period.
I think getting players to agree to a trade-in will be difficult for Richmond and there will be a strong temptation to draft hard before Tassie come in.
Pick 5 is probably the ideal placing for GC as you'd think noone will bid on Lombard prior to that but Draper to WC is a real possibility so the Crows might get nasty if it happens. Top 6-8 would be more likely to stay in place till drafting starts but everything after that likely to change hands, many more than once or twice.

Anyway, l used to spend hours thinking of trade possibilities/ probabilities but gave up the last couple of years as l was always way off. The right hand column on the Wiki draft page shows just how much movement there is these days, and there's just no predicting it anymore.

Rebels win.

Oakleigh Chargers:
Jagga Smith 42D 1.1
Tom Gross 26D 1.0

GWV Rebels:
Sam Lalor 22D (15 kicks), 7 inside 50s (game-high), 8 marks, 0.1
Jack Ough 29D 1.1 (this guy is bolting up the draft boards)
Jonty Faull 12D 1.2

Jack Ough is a proper bolter. He’s starting to look late first round sort of range almost from nowhere. Would love him to be there at our second round pick.

I was just looking at the draft points and Gold Coast have a total of 5670 points with their picks. Lets say Lombard is bid on at pick 5 (points 1878) the most likely club for GCS to trade their pick is with Richmond (total points 5948), who have a miriad of late picks and GCS wanting to get Daniel Rioli up there.

Richmond are going to really set up how the trade and draft will look this year. If they lose Rioli to GCS say #13 or #20, Baker to WCE say pick #23 plus, and Bolton to Fremantle say pick #10 or #17 plus. Then after trading with GCS and the other clubs they could enter the draft with something like picks - #1, #5, #10, #13, #21, #23 & #30. Obviously depending on what other players they might target trade wise.

So if hyperthetically Richmond end up with GCS pick #5 who will they be looking at? I think with their array of picks they will go 2 x midfielders with their first two picks (#1 & #5), they can then start looking at the tall forwards etc following. There are lots of possibilities of who will be taken before our pick/s, as apart from North's draft pick I think the remainder of the top 6-7 picks will all be midfielders.

It will be interesting just sitting back to see how Richmond navigate this years trade and draft periods! If they lose all the talent touted to want trades, they are going to bottom out big time over the next few years. If I was running their list rebuild I would be asking for players in return with the trading clubs eg GCS Moyle/Lukosious, WCE Culley, Fremantle Bandfield/Sturt.

They have Toce too. Could be a full Hawks style rebuild in a strong draft.

this guy looks really really good too.. haven't checked his averages, but 194 cm, moves like jimmy webster, flies for his marks, great in traffic, great kick, reads the play beautifully (one of the last contests where he makes the split second decision to drop off his man to intercept, great read, could have gone very wrong).

I know I was all "let battle walk so we can draft mids etc", but with Pou and Garcia coming on, I wouldn't be adverse to snagging this fella with our compo pick, paired with wilkie it would set up our defence for another 5 years.

also, Draper looked pretty meh in his last game for the SANFL, very handball heavy. Probably just an off game

I reckon he could end up a superstar forward.

I'm warming to Murphy Reid.. getting him and Trainor is a solid investment in our future. High talents. Local lads.

Hawks have been very good at this, targeting Hawk supporting top end talent (McKenzie, Ward, Watson?) but also trades (Scrimshaw, Ginnivan, Battle). Not only are you getting talent, but (probably) locking them away also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm warming to Murphy Reid.. getting him and Trainor is a solid investment in our future. High talents. Local lads.

Hawks have been very good at this, targeting Hawk supporting top end talent (McKenzie, Ward, Watson?) but also trades (Scrimshaw, Ginnivan, Battle). Not only are you getting talent, but (probably) locking them away also.
Reid and Trainor doesn't solve our midfield problems. We need speed and burst - neither of them possess that

There's no way we can play Pou, Reid, Clark, Windy in the same midfield going forward, it'd be the slowest midfield on record

Reid and Trainor doesn't solve our midfield problems. We need speed and burst - neither of them possess that

There's no way we can play Pou, Reid, Clark, Windy in the same midfield going forward, it'd be the slowest midfield on record
So which mids in the draft have those burst & speed and good skills requisites ... that are likley to make it our picks (5&6 or 6&7)?

Lalor? Anyone else?

Langford... too slow?
Hynes .... dodgy kick?
Lindsay ... not a mid / too small?
Travaglia ... not a mid?
Smillie .... too slow / questionable work rate?
Moraes ... inconsistent?
Gross / Ough .... a huge reach at Top 10?

Last edited:
He’s not slow. Why are people saying that
He himself is saying that ...

However, the Dandenong Stingrays and Mount Martha product does have one specific area of his game that he is keen to work on.

“I think it’s that sort of speed out of stoppage,” he said.

“The first few steps of drive, to break away from my opponent with ball in hand or even if it’s chasing my opponent, so mainly my speed.

Keep in mind, we may need to acquire some later picks to match and potential bids from other clubs trying to make us pay up for Academy/FS prospects. Richmond have a lot of these later picks. We could look to get 1, 10 and third rounder for 5&6. I think Jagga is worthy of Pick 1 and I think we might get a steal with pick 10 like Lalor or Reid
Pick 5 + 6 = Pick 1 + 30 exactly

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back