2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I know deep down I'm clutching here, but at what point does FOS become too risky for for first couple of picks? Hand issues shouldn't impact his fitness and Draper has shown his ability to come back from injury and excel. One game in the VFL, hurt himself and missed a week with a corkie.

I simply want him to slide, so I'm trying to find reasons, talk about hopium!

I'm getting really worried that Trainor will be left as best available for us. I like Lalor a lot for that explosive high ceiling bull which we never seem to have. At 7, it could be Trainor or any number of 10 equally talented kids.

Huge game for the Dragons team:
Levi Ashcroft 46D
Murphy Reid 39D
Luke Trainor 33D
Sam Linder 23D 8 rebounds (game-high)
Harry Armstrong 1.3
Adrian Cole 9D
No Hofmann

Gippsland Power:
Xavier Lindsay 17D

Northern Knights:
Zak Johnson 24 disposals 1.2
Jesse Dattoli 17D 3.0
Thomas Sims 13D 0.2 11HO

Murray Bushrangers:
Josh Murphy 6.4
Jack Whitlock 5.3
Matt Whitlock 4.1

Interesting discussion on Langford in VFL and preseason testing. Seems like his lack of agility and pace is the reason for his quite wide window in clubland. Makes for an interesting decision if he is the last of the 7 and comparing him to a Travalgia with one of our picks..

Huge game for the Dragons team:
Levi Ashcroft 46D
Murphy Reid 39D
Luke Trainor 33D
Sam Linder 23D 8 rebounds (game-high)
Harry Armstrong 1.3
Adrian Cole 9D
No Hofmann

Gippsland Power:
Xavier Lindsay 17D

Northern Knights:
Zak Johnson 24 disposals 1.2
Jesse Dattoli 17D 3.0
Thomas Sims 13D 0.2 11HO

Murray Bushrangers:
Josh Murphy 6.4
Jack Whitlock 5.3
Matt Whitlock 4.1
Is Sam Linder a Saints NGA player?
If so is he any chance of making AFL

I don't think we will have access to any of O'Sullivan, smith, Draper

We really need north to take a tall, either Armstrong or trainor, but unsure they do?

out of the next mids my preference would be something like.

1-smillie
2-lalor
3-Langford
4-travaglia
5-Hotton
6-Reid

A solid performance in his VFL debut from Harvey Langford, showcasing his wares to the Richmond recruiters who hold pick 1 in the November national draft. He played the same role that Finn O'Sullivan played last week, starting the first quarter on ball before playing out the final three quarters on a forward flank. Its a role that can suit his game, but he had to make the most of the limited opportunities that came his way. He flew for his marks, being unfortunately robbed of a lovely grab on the far wing, and he showed a nice step and change of direction on a couple of occasions. The one area where he let himself down a little was his kicking, which he rushed and got a bit wayward on a couple of occasions.

I know deep down I'm clutching here, but at what point does FOS become too risky for for first couple of picks? Hand issues shouldn't impact his fitness and Draper has shown his ability to come back from injury and excel. One game in the VFL, hurt himself and missed a week with a corkie.

I'm getting really worried that Trainor will be left as best available for us. I like Lalor a lot for that explosive high ceiling bull which we never seem to have. At 7, it could be Trainor or any number of 10 equally talented kids.
If we were to lose battle and have 2 picks I would not be displeased with taking Trainor with one of them. Looks a talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try practising detachment. If the draft order doesn't fall exactly our way we're in a position to make for some good trading.
It's not worth worrying about with all the pick swapping that happens now days. Positions on the night look nothing like they do at the end of the season.

Hugo Garcia prime example of plenty of talent in the draft if you look close enough.

I was pleasantly surprised when Naz was able to play most of his first season so well, then i was stunned when Pou did the same a year later, and Owens and Windhager cemented spots in the team. Now Wilson, and Garcia looking like he's going to be a regular fixture. Amazing.

I've been conditioned for years with McKenzie, Wright, Brodie Murdoch types.

Reid with 39d .... reckon he could be the one for us .... smooth mover with decent disposal

Reid & Lalor would be great .... a matrix type player and a bull who can play mid and forward
Agree. Lalor one that likely has a lot of upside even just to get back to his “normal” level. I don’t get the knock on Reid at all. If he’s slow then I don’t wanna be fast.

Reid with 39d .... reckon he could be the one for us .... smooth mover with decent disposal

Reid & Lalor would be great .... a matrix type player and a bull who can play mid and forward
Sounds like a great duo

Just still praying we can get quality from the picks we end up with. The evenness makes me hopeful though

Can’t wait to watch the first round of this draft. I normally fast forward everything until the Saints picks but I reckon I’ll sit and watch it all this year.
I have a feeling if Jagga isn’t taken by Richmond he will slide to the back end of that top tier group of 8 or so.
Draper is my top choice, I like Langford also.
Would love to get Dodson as a ruck development option.

Last edited:
Hugo Garcia prime example of plenty of talent in the draft if you look close enough.
We need absolute elite, top-5-in-the-comp-style un-slow and powerful inside mid at the coalface hunting that ball consistently and using it well. We have lacked one for 15 or so years. As good as our young guns are, I'd be surprised if any become the next Dusty or Dangerfield. (You can bet I'd love to be wrong though!)

I'm not into hanging all our hopes on one or two players, but it's clear the difference someone like that makes to your season.

We need absolute elite, top-5-in-the-comp-style un-slow and powerful inside mid at the coalface hunting that ball consistently and using it well. We have lacked one for 15 or so years. As good as our young guns are, I'd be surprised if any become the next Dusty or Dangerfield. (You can bet I'd love to be wrong though!)

I'm not into hanging all our hopes on one or two players, but it's clear the difference someone like that makes to your season.
Our three best players were rookies.

I know he's been ear marked as a wing/half forward but Darcy Wilson's goal charging out of the middle had massive young Dangerfield vibes about it. Power, pace & kicked it from outside 50 with ease.

I like the mix we are developing in the midfield group coming through... IMO we need creative ball users as much as anything. Guys that make great decisions & have great kicking skills to back that up.

Watching us the other night I couldn't help but think I wish they had taken Rozee like I wanted, I just don't think Max is ever going to reach the heights some think he will
You see Darcy who has played 26 games and three years younger and its chalk and cheese , Darcy is a competitive beast even though he is a stick man.
Anyway lets see how Max goes next year but he needs to really lift IMO

Last edited:
Watching us the other night I couldn't help but think I wish they had taken Rozee like I wanted, I just don't think Max is ever goin to reach the heights some think he will
You see Darcy who has played 26 games and three years younger and its chalk and cheese , Darcy is a competitive beast even though he is a stick man.
Anyway lets see how Max goes next year but he needs to really lift IMO
Darcy's role is a perfect one for Max (and Ross) to reinvent himself into.

If a string bean like Darcy can put in as many minutes in the ruck as he does, then Max can.

Just need to get Max fit & stop kicking black cats & he'll be sweet.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back