2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club have been blind regarding Sharman imo. They seem to finally be starting to wake up.

He showed ages ago he had the goods.

It's my biggest beef right now. I feel we lack vision.
Yes the clubs use of Sharman after he showed so much in his first handful of game is deplorable. Funny how it took Max being out for them to play him where he plays his best footy and shock horror it worked a treat.

But isn’t that the whole point. Back the recruiters to see through the ‘bs’ and pick the best player regardless of our pick.
I admit I wasn’t happy with Nas and I was clearly wrong. I’d even say he’s my favourite player now. Do you know why that was the case though? Becuase at that point for years we had ignored our midfield need and missed/wasted plenty of opportunities to rectify it. And even now after it looks like they’ve improved we still aren’t strong enough in that area and it took nearly two seasons for Ross to even trust Pou to play in the position he was drafted for.

I do think we get to hyper fixated on certain names in the draft but our need for midfielders hasn’t gone away and won’t go away until it’s addressed.

But isn’t that the whole point. Back the recruiters to see through the ‘bs’ and pick the best player regardless of our pick.
Exactly, though earlier the pick the more opportunity they have for both a **** up and a success. We are fortunate to have nailed Pou, NAS, and Wilson with picks between 10-20 in successive years.

I’m not sure if any other club has had a similar draft success as us in this period relative to the draft capital we have. Can even stretch further that as far as picks from outside the national draft like Marshall, Wilkie, Sinclair, Sharman etc.

Without some very shrewd drafting in recent years we would be beyond toast and even with it we are bottom 6 this year - BUT, the future is promising… hopefully

Also obvs Pou, Nas and Wilson could be spuds but atm, they’re on track as good as anyone their age

Ok so ‘centrepiece’ who are they in the AFL atm ?

Or best ‘young’ players in each team.

Crows - Dawson/soligo Pick 56/Pick 36
BL - Neale, Andrews, Mccluggage Pick in the 50s, 40s and pick 3
Carlton - Cripps Curnow,Walsh Pick 13, Pick 9, Pick 1
Collingwood - Daicos, Pick (2)
Essendon - Meret, Pick 26 ( IN fact their high picks ahve been beyond average)
Fremantle Brayshaw, Serong , Pick 5 snd pick 2 pick 8
Geelong Holmes -
GWS - Greene 11
GC - Anderson 2, Rowell 1, King etc etc
Hawthorn Weddle, Day Pick 18 and 13
Melbourne - Trac pick 2, Oliver Pick 4, Gawn pick in the 50s
North - Sheezel Pick 2, LDU 4, Larkey 73
Port - Rozee Butters Pick 5, 12
Richmond - (Bolton) - Pick 29

Swans - Gulden, Warner, Heeney, Blakey 32, 39, Pick 10

West Coast Harly Reid( 1) Oscar Allen 21
WB - Bont Pick 4 , JUH Pick 1, Top 10.

I think ultimately, if you want standout players, they most liekly be in the first round. However, having a higher pick does not neccesarily mean you will find this player. (Exception is for a top 3 pick really) Outside of that it is really up the recruiter imo and the development. ALSO FMD the bombers effed up some picks.

I don’t know if it’s still the same but Brownlow votes tended to go heavily towards players taken at the higher picks. What Brownlow measures is the most consistent and high possession players usually. Stands to reason the players drafted are usually taken for that same quality. Exceptional talent and X factor are harder to measure so harder to find.

The thing with Naz was he was from Adelaide and he wasn’t a midfielder. That’s enough to make people nervous when we need mids and don’t have many avenues to get them.

The other thing to remember is that Hobbs and Sinn were on paper better fits for us (homegrown, Hobbs was projected to be a good mid, and Sinn a good sandy HBF).

As I said at the time, players like Johnson and Hobbs looked more appealing as touted midfielders but I trusted the club to take Naz, and clearly it was the right choice. And then we also had the good fortune of Windy and Owen’s. Terrific draft.

In fact, all of our drafting in the last few years from national to mid season has been about as good as you could reasonably expect. That won’t last. We need more quality to go with this good batch, and I am hoping that means picks 5 and 6 and we ****ing nail them, that’s a chance at setting up a real ****ing team for the future. It’s a bigger chance than 7 and 8, though that’s not bad either by any stretch.

This will be one of our most important drafts in a while, mainly because we have a chance to add some top tier prospects to an already promising brigade of NAS, Owen’s, Windy, Wilson, Pou etc etc whilst they’re all in the same age range. That’s a limited window, and tassie is coming. You want sustained success for the future? History shows that starts with a strong core of young players developing together. Let’s cap that off.

For me being an indigenous kid with a really strong family bond he was not worth the risk. I reckon I’m still going to be nervous every time his contract starts to get towards expiring, he’s been the best kid we’ve drafted in 20 years.

For me being an indigenous kid with a really strong family bond he was not worth the risk. I reckon I’m still going to be nervous every time his contract starts to get towards expiring, he’s been the best kid we’ve drafted in 20 years.
bloody hell, you really do go looking for shadows to jump at don't you.

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was at a lunch last week and Matthew Lloyd was there and he said next year's draft is weak and club recruiters have told him they will be looking to get out of next year's draft and try to get more picks in this year's as it's really deep.
it's not a surprise, usually you hear a fair bit about the u/16s this year, but there has been nothing

A tough game for the Panthers and a tough game for Sid Draper, the first SANFL game this year in which he's struggled to have an impact. He appeared to be put off his game at center bounce early by the bigger and more experienced Glenelg mids that pushed him off his run at the ball. As a result he never really got going, and was eventually moved out of the middle to play off a forward flank in the second half, which starved him of opportunities with Glenelg dominating territory. He still managed one sequence where he burst clear and broke the lines with elite pace and agility before dishing off to create a goal for his teammate.

A tough game for the Panthers and a tough game for Sid Draper, the first SANFL game this year in which he's struggled to have an impact. He appeared to be put off his game at center bounce early by the bigger and more experienced Glenelg mids that pushed him off his run at the ball. As a result he never really got going, and was eventually moved out of the middle to play off a forward flank in the second half, which starved him of opportunities with Glenelg dominating territory. He still managed one sequence where he burst clear and broke the lines with elite pace and agility before dishing off to create a goal for his teammate.

bit of a learning curve but still looks incredibly dynamic with ball in hand. His teammates didn't help him out much with some of his runs through the corridor, didn't offer him much of an option a few times

Phillapou Wilson and Naz?

That don’t do it for you ?

Naz and Pou in particular.

Remember the crap we got for taking Naz.

Will leave, too soft . People also need to understand that Dalrympal has a specific style. He’s not afraid to take players randomly, and take guy with high scope.

As I said Travaglia screams Daleympal.
Who else do you think would suit him? An Allan? What was his record like on talls?

Exactly, look at Coops, Pou, Windy, etc etc.
Excellent record in the past 3 years. Hope we can also snag some kind of star very late picks (like we did in the 00s - Fisher, Milne, etc - yes I know we have Sincs, Wlks, Ro, but I mean in this era ). Hugo’s last few weeks in VfL and sub have been excellent. With that pace and hardness, who knows where he might end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hit some handballs out of congestion today that you just don’t see. And because of that the person on the outside was in space. That will translate really well to afl.
He opens up the game
His cleanliness with his hands are amazing. Not just such quick hands, but one touch in tight. Whether he has enough size / pace / penetrating kicking to become a star I’m not sure.

Harvey Langford 33 disposals and 4 goals in a team that won by 10 points !

Elwood Peckett 20D 1.2 (looking good)
Cooper Hynes 17D 0.1
Josh Smillie 29D 1.1
Jobe Shanahan 17D 6.2
Sam Lalor 25D 1.0

J.Smith 33D 2.0
M.Reid 25D 1.0
FOS 18D 3.2
T.Gross 19D 1.0
L.Ashcroft 17D

Saints NGA:
S.Linder 15D
A.Cole 10D
L.Hofmann 6D

Harvey Langford 33 disposals and 4 goals in a team that won by 10 points !

Elwood Peckett 20D 1.2 (looking good)
Cooper Hynes 17D 0.1
Josh Smillie 29D 1.1
Jobe Shanahan 17D 6.2
Sam Lalor 25D 1.0

J.Smith 33D 2.0
M.Reid 25D 1.0
FOS 18D 3.2
T.Gross 19D 1.0
L.Ashcroft 17D

Saints NGA:
S.Linder 15D
A.Cole 10D
L.Hofmann 6D
Langford reminds me a lot of phillipou. Booming left foot, tall, good contested mark. Those two as a one two punch in the midfield for us would be amazing. This top ten is stacked

Langford reminds me a lot of phillipou. Booming left foot, tall, good contested mark. Those two as a one two punch in the midfield for us would be amazing. This top ten is stacked
Classic case of “we wish we had 2 of player X”. This is it!! One forward one mids, unstoppable

bloody hell, you really do go looking for shadows to jump at don't you.

I reckon he’s a flight risk type still. Hopefully he bonds to the group and I’m wrong but that pull is always going to be there.

Agree they both have great left pegs, but Langford is more advanced at winning ground level contested ball and getting free of packs. I would also put Langford ahead in contested marking Langford plays like a mini full forward when forward.

Picks 7 & 8* huh… needless to say with the next draft reportedly weak and tassie on the horizon this off season will shape a lot.

Time to look at some phantom drafts me thinks

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back